DV capture problem - going blocky sooner or later

Hi,

I think I may be overlooking something here but what?

If I attempt to capture video from a DV source then sooner or later the
captured video will go blocky. Soon after the application will stop
capturing. This can happen after a few seconds or after a minute but it
does happen every time. When the capture still goes ok I'll get a single
frame with some interference every few seconds. When played back on a TV
the tape doesn't show any of these problems.
Here's some specs:

Software:
win2k sp4 (all partitions involved are NTFS)
Tried these apps:
Pinnacle studio 8.6
Ulead videostudio 7
videoghost

Hardware:
Athlon XP1600
Epox EP-8KTA3(+)Pro
768mb sdram
ATI Radeon 9600 SE
2xMAXTOR 6L040J2 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Creative SB Live!
Ethernet network card
Dynalink firewire card with a via 1394 ohci controller chip.
Samsung DV camcorder.

Resources:
DMA 02 Undetermined Standard floppy disk controller
DMA 04 Undetermined Direct memory access controller
IRQ 00 Exclusive System timer
IRQ 01 Undetermined PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
IRQ 04 Shared Communications Port (COM1)
IRQ 05 Shared VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 06 Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller
IRQ 07 Exclusive Printer Port (LPT1)
IRQ 08 Exclusive System CMOS/real time clock
IRQ 10 Shared RADEON 9600 SERIES
IRQ 11 Shared Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter #4
IRQ 12 Shared Creative SB Live! series(WDM)
IRQ 12 Shared VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 13 Exclusive Numeric data processor
IRQ 14 Exclusive Primary IDE Channel
IRQ 15 Exclusive Secondary IDE Channel

The system is uptodate with drivers, patches and directx

A long time ago, about two years, this system was able to capture DV
video without any problems. Only hardware change I've done since is
change the display adapter from a Hercules Kyro based to a noname Ati
9600SE and add a second harddrive. I find it hard to believe that this
messed it all up.

Any ideas?

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Hello,

Maybe the problem is your DV-tape-recorder (cam).
Blocky DV-stream shows errors and this errors are also often coming from
tape-errors.
Try to clean the heads. There are cleaning-tapes on market
It is also possible, that the tape is damaged. Have you tried to do a fast
rewind and fast forward several times?

The good playback on TV may be produced from camera. It is possible, that
some errors are corrected from camera when displayed with analog TV-signal!

Maybe this helps.
Regards
Peter Dressel-Boeck

"Jeroen Wijnands" <gebruiklieverhetreplyto@wijnands.xs4all.nl> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:4157a950$0$37789$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...

"Peter Dressel-Böck" <p.dressel-boeck@chello.at> wrote in message news:<AK96d.315000$vG5.19480@news.chello.at>...
> Hello,
>
> Maybe the problem is your DV-tape-recorder (cam).
> Blocky DV-stream shows errors and this errors are also often coming from
> tape-errors.
> Try to clean the heads. There are cleaning-tapes on market
Well.. that's a possibility I suppose.

> It is also possible, that the tape is damaged. Have you tried to do a fast
> rewind and fast forward several times?

Yes I have. The tape was brand new when I taped my video.

> The good playback on TV may be produced from camera. It is possible, that
> some errors are corrected from camera when displayed with analog TV-signal!
You really think so?

> Maybe this helps.
> Regards
> Peter Dressel-Boeck

Thanks for the reply Peter.
> "Jeroen Wijnands" <gebruiklieverhetreplyto@wijnands.xs4all.nl> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:4157a950$0$37789$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think I may be overlooking something here but what?
> >
> > If I attempt to capture video from a DV source then sooner or later the
> > captured video will go blocky. Soon after the application will stop
> > capturing. This can happen after a few seconds or after a minute but it
> > does happen every time. When the capture still goes ok I'll get a single
> > frame with some interference every few seconds. When played back on a TV
> > the tape doesn't show any of these problems.
> > Here's some specs:
> >
> > Software:
> > win2k sp4 (all partitions involved are NTFS)
> > Tried these apps:
> > Pinnacle studio 8.6
> > Ulead videostudio 7
> > videoghost
> >
> > Hardware:
> > Athlon XP1600
> > Epox EP-8KTA3(+)Pro
> > 768mb sdram
> > ATI Radeon 9600 SE
> > 2xMAXTOR 6L040J2 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
> > Creative SB Live!
> > Ethernet network card
> > Dynalink firewire card with a via 1394 ohci controller chip.
> > Samsung DV camcorder.
> >
> > Resources:
> > DMA 02 Undetermined Standard floppy disk controller
> > DMA 04 Undetermined Direct memory access controller
> > IRQ 00 Exclusive System timer
> > IRQ 01 Undetermined PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
> > IRQ 04 Shared Communications Port (COM1)
> > IRQ 05 Shared VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
> > IRQ 06 Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller
> > IRQ 07 Exclusive Printer Port (LPT1)
> > IRQ 08 Exclusive System CMOS/real time clock
> > IRQ 10 Shared RADEON 9600 SERIES
> > IRQ 11 Shared Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter #4
> > IRQ 12 Shared Creative SB Live! series(WDM)
> > IRQ 12 Shared VIA USB Universal Host Controller
> > IRQ 13 Exclusive Numeric data processor
> > IRQ 14 Exclusive Primary IDE Channel
> > IRQ 15 Exclusive Secondary IDE Channel
> >
> > The system is uptodate with drivers, patches and directx
> >
> > A long time ago, about two years, this system was able to capture DV
> > video without any problems. Only hardware change I've done since is
> > change the display adapter from a Hercules Kyro based to a noname Ati
> > 9600SE and add a second harddrive. I find it hard to believe that this
> > messed it all up.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > --
> > Groeten/Regards
> > Jeroen Wijnands
> > jeroen at wijnands punt xs4all punt nl

Ok,

I've tried several other things including removing the soundblaster.
That fixed the problem briefly but it's back. I've upgraded the system
to windows XP and obtaind a new version of pinnacle studio. Problem
persists.

Now I've tested my camcorder and firewire card in another system and it
works there. I'm wondering if there is some incompatibility between my
card and the rest of my system.
Anyone any ideas? Or should I just replace the mainboard?

TRENDING THREADS