Peer to peer networking xp home edition with win2k profess..

I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an existing domain?
Any suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about peer peer networking home edition win2k profess

    It's easy to connect *from* the laptop to the workgroup computers - once you
    have an IP address on that home network, and can ping the workgroup computer
    by name, you can map drives, access resources, etc - in a command line on
    the laptop, type

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    and you should be good to go - can also then use printers, etc., on the
    workgroup PC.

    Not so easy the other way (*to* the laptop) as far as I'm aware. But that
    probably isn't necessary.

    Angela wrote:
    > I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000
    > professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an
    > existing domain? Any suggestions?

    I would like to see a solution myself:)

    Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
    computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain, but I
    didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
    workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
    password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
    network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
    the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
    it.....

    Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?

    mj

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela

    x wrote:
    > I would like to see a solution myself:)
    >
    > Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
    > computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain,

    No - Win9x can't join domains, but it can access resources on domains.

    > but I
    > didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
    > workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
    > password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
    > network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
    > the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
    > it.....
    >
    > Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?
    >
    > mj
    >
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows
    >> 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off
    >> an existing domain? Any suggestions?

    Control Panel -> Network
    Client for Microsoft Networks -> Properties

    Opens up a page with two choices:

    1) Logon Validation, and then you can check "Log on to Windows NT
    domain" and specify a domain name.

    2) Network logon options, with "Quick Logon" and "Logon and restore
    network connections".

    I thought that choice 1) will join me into a domain. No?

    mj

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:33:54 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

    >x wrote:
    >> I would like to see a solution myself:)
    >>
    >> Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
    >> computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain,
    >
    >No - Win9x can't join domains, but it can access resources on domains.
    >
    >> but I
    >> didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
    >> workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
    >> password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
    >> network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
    >> the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
    >> it.....
    >>
    >> Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?
    >>
    >> mj
    >>
    >> On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows
    >>> 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off
    >>> an existing domain? Any suggestions?

    No.. Only Win2K, WinNT, Win XP, and Windows 2003 Server or Pro
    editions can be domain members...

    From another post that describes this better than I can:
    Windows 98 machines do not have computer accounts in a domain, so they
    cannot "belong" to a domain. Windows 98 can be configured to log a
    user on to a domain, but the user can cancel the domain logon simply
    by pressing the Esc key and still get into Windows without being
    authenticated to any domain (unless a System Policy has been
    configured on the machine to prevent it). Also, thanks to the password
    caching (*.pwl files) in Windows 98, a Windows 98 user can become
    authenticated to multiple domains at any point in time. These may or
    may include the domain configured as the "log on" domain, so there may
    not be any way to determine the "primary" domain in this scenario. In
    many environments, it is common practice to configure the Windows 98
    workgroup name to be the same as the domain name so that Network
    Neighborhood will allow browsing domain members and servers in
    addition to other workgroup members. You might be willing to assume
    that if the user is authenticated to more than one domain, the
    workgroup name can help determine the primary one, but there's no
    technical guarantee that this would be right. If you are writing a
    custom app for an in-house environment, you might be able to assume a
    lot of things that you can't assume for a commercial software product.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    ----- Angela wrote: -----

    I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an existing domain?
    Any suggestions?

    Thank you its now workin'.
    I really appreciated this info

Windows 2000 Networking Windows XP