Peer to peer networking xp home edition with win2k profess..

I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an existing domain?
Any suggestions?

It's easy to connect *from* the laptop to the workgroup computers - once you
have an IP address on that home network, and can ping the workgroup computer
by name, you can map drives, access resources, etc - in a command line on
the laptop, type

net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

and you should be good to go - can also then use printers, etc., on the
workgroup PC.

Not so easy the other way (*to* the laptop) as far as I'm aware. But that
probably isn't necessary.

Angela wrote:
> I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000
> professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an
> existing domain? Any suggestions?

I would like to see a solution myself:)

Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain, but I
didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
it.....

Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?

mj

On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela

x wrote:
> I would like to see a solution myself:)
>
> Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
> computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain,

No - Win9x can't join domains, but it can access resources on domains.

> but I
> didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
> workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
> password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
> network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
> the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
> it.....
>
> Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?
>
> mj
>
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows
>> 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off
>> an existing domain? Any suggestions?

Control Panel -> Network
Client for Microsoft Networks -> Properties

Opens up a page with two choices:

1) Logon Validation, and then you can check "Log on to Windows NT
domain" and specify a domain name.

2) Network logon options, with "Quick Logon" and "Logon and restore
network connections".

I thought that choice 1) will join me into a domain. No?

mj

On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:33:54 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>x wrote:
>> I would like to see a solution myself:)
>>
>> Just as a starting point: I've recently introduced and older win98
>> computer to a domain based network. Win98 _can_ join a domain,
>
>No - Win9x can't join domains, but it can access resources on domains.
>
>> but I
>> didn't do that (long story why). I just configured it to use the same
>> workgroup name as a domain. I logged in using the same name and
>> password I use on the domain, and voila, it saw the whole network in
>> network neighbourghhood. I'm not sure, but I think I was prompted for
>> the password one more time when I explored the server, but that was
>> it.....
>>
>> Could you try the same experiment with your XP home?
>>
>> mj
>>
>> On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:16:03 -0700, Angela
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows
>>> 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off
>>> an existing domain? Any suggestions?

No.. Only Win2K, WinNT, Win XP, and Windows 2003 Server or Pro
editions can be domain members...

From another post that describes this better than I can:
Windows 98 machines do not have computer accounts in a domain, so they
cannot "belong" to a domain. Windows 98 can be configured to log a
user on to a domain, but the user can cancel the domain logon simply
by pressing the Esc key and still get into Windows without being
authenticated to any domain (unless a System Policy has been
configured on the machine to prevent it). Also, thanks to the password
caching (*.pwl files) in Windows 98, a Windows 98 user can become
authenticated to multiple domains at any point in time. These may or
may include the domain configured as the "log on" domain, so there may
not be any way to determine the "primary" domain in this scenario. In
many environments, it is common practice to configure the Windows 98
workgroup name to be the same as the domain name so that Network
Neighborhood will allow browsing domain members and servers in
addition to other workgroup members. You might be willing to assume
that if the user is authenticated to more than one domain, the
workgroup name can help determine the primary one, but there's no
technical guarantee that this would be right. If you are writing a
custom app for an in-house environment, you might be able to assume a
lot of things that you can't assume for a commercial software product.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

----- Angela wrote: -----

I would like to network a xp home edition desktop with a windows 2000 professional laptop without tkaing my windows 2000 machine off an existing domain?
Any suggestions?

Thank you its now workin'.
I really appreciated this info