Hash format used in .rdp files

Hi

For a project I'm currently working on I need to dynamically write rdp files, then launch mstsc.exe with my own generated rdp file as parameter. In order not to show the user any passwords I'd like to have the password preconfigured. I know passwords are stored as a binary hash in the .rdp file, but I'm wondering what kind of hashing is used. Is it possible to hash my own passwords so that I can set up a remote desktop automatically without anyone ever having to enter login and password? I know I can do that if I manually launch the connection, have the tsc to save my password and save the connection data, but I need to do this dynamically.

Regards
Stephan

You probably know more about this than I do, but my impression was that the
passwords were not stored in the RDP files, but were stored in a secure
storage facility provided by the OS.

This is one reason why passwords aren't stored using the same client on a
9.x OS system.

Maybe the hash you are seeing is an index or key for the secure storage.

"Stephan Steiner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> For a project I'm currently working on I need to dynamically write rdp
> files, then launch mstsc.exe with my own generated rdp file as parameter.
> In order not to show the user any passwords I'd like to have the password
> preconfigured. I know passwords are stored as a binary hash in the .rdp
> file, but I'm wondering what kind of hashing is used. Is it possible to
> hash my own passwords so that I can set up a remote desktop automatically
> without anyone ever having to enter login and password? I know I can do
> that if I manually launch the connection, have the tsc to save my password
> and save the connection data, but I need to do this dynamically.
>
> Regards
> Stephan

> You probably know more about this than I do, but my impression was that
the
> passwords were not stored in the RDP files, but were stored in a secure
> storage facility provided by the OS.

Actually, I know nothing about this but I just learned something. I really
hoped you were wrong, but transferring an RDP with password line proved
otherwise :(

I guess I have to dig into this secure storage thing but for now I'll just
have to hand out the passwords as I don't have any time for research left.

Well, you could use the web client and encode usernames and passwords
in it if you secure the web page used for the web client properties.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:49:35 +0200, "Stephan Steiner"
<steiner@isuisse.com> wrote:

>> You probably know more about this than I do, but my impression was that
>the
>> passwords were not stored in the RDP files, but were stored in a secure
>> storage facility provided by the OS.
>
>Actually, I know nothing about this but I just learned something. I really
>hoped you were wrong, but transferring an RDP with password line proved
>otherwise :(
>
>I guess I have to dig into this secure storage thing but for now I'll just
>have to hand out the passwords as I don't have any time for research left.

> Well, you could use the web client and encode usernames and passwords
> in it if you secure the web page used for the web client properties.

Are there any inheritent disadvantages to this procedure, especially
performance wise?

And does anybody know how mstsc reads and writes passwords from the secure
storage? I've been searching but so far without any useful hits.

Stephan