training materials for photoshop/premiere/encore, etc.

Wondering

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

hi, as you guys probably know, total training puts out some training
dvds which are probably pretty good, but they're also really pricey.

i wonder if you guys know of similar products (maybe even including
stuff for dreamweaver, flash) that's very good but not as pricey as
total training's stuff?

thanks,

wondering

Greetings,
There are numerous sites with free tutorials, especially video. Here is
one of the more popular pay sites http://www.lynda.com/ .
Your welcome,
Dennis
"wondering" <noonehasthatname@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi, as you guys probably know, total training puts out some training
> dvds which are probably pretty good, but they're also really pricey.
>
> i wonder if you guys know of similar products (maybe even including
> stuff for dreamweaver, flash) that's very good but not as pricey as
> total training's stuff?
>
> thanks,
>
> wondering

Susan

noonehasthatname@yahoo.com (wondering) wrote:

>hi, as you guys probably know, total training puts out some training
>dvds which are probably pretty good, but they're also really pricey.
>
>i wonder if you guys know of similar products (maybe even including
>stuff for dreamweaver, flash) that's very good but not as pricey as
>total training's stuff?
>
>thanks,
>
>wondering

Hi,

We create a lot of training videos (tape and DVD) for industry,
government (mostly the military), and schools. They cost a lot to
make, and we clear a good profit. However, I always try to talk
customers into letting us create books and manuals which cost much
less, are easier to update and correct, and which are far more
effective training tools.

Why? Because video is an entertainment medium, not a learning medium.
Students stare at the screen and are entertained, but they retain
practically nothing. Plus, video runs at one speed, which means every
user must work at that speed. With a manual or tutorial, you can work
at your own pace.

So, you can spend a lot of money on training DVDs and be entertained,
or you can work through a book or series of tutorials and learn
something. Most people have to actually perform an action several
times to learn it. Watching just doesn't teach most of us anything.

I am sure others will say video is the best training medium available.
Certainly, the school systems are sold on video since it is such a
good babysitter. YMMV. The choice is yours.

One possible exception is audio tapes/CDs for practicing a foreign
language. They do help you copy the pronunciation, but don't help
most people learn new words.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Wondering

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

thanks for a very thoughtful reply. i do appreciate it. don't know
if you'll look back to find my reply to your posting, but if you do
and if you're so inclined, would you comment on the following
questions?

1. what is the general response to your recommendation that you (your
company?) produce printed training materials for them?

2. i'm sure you've thought of a kind of compromise: namely, the use
of something like director or authorware. why? cuz it has both the
babysitting/entertaining quality (or can) and on the other hand, it
can require actions on the part of the user and all users can move
through the materials at their preferred pace.

3. you don't say it outright, but if i may interpret what you're
saying, it'd be this: don't look for training dvds, look for good
training books. okay, i've no problems with that but would you give
me your two cents as to what training books are very good? what
little reviews i've read are not flattering when it comes to the
classroom in a book series. agree? disagree? perhaps you have
other books in mind?

again, thank you very much for a very thoughtful reply. i look
forward to hearing your comments again,

wondering

Susan

Hi,

Just a second to answer because I leave soon for the Mid East.

noonehasthatname@yahoo.com (wondering) wrote:

>thanks for a very thoughtful reply. i do appreciate it. don't know
>if you'll look back to find my reply to your posting, but if you do
>and if you're so inclined, would you comment on the following
>questions?
>
>1. what is the general response to your recommendation that you (your
>company?) produce printed training materials for them?

Most customers have strong ideas of what they want, and many of them
have lots and lots of money. We give them the very best we can
produce of whatever they want.

>2. i'm sure you've thought of a kind of compromise: namely, the use
>of something like director or authorware. why? cuz it has both the
>babysitting/entertaining quality (or can) and on the other hand, it
>can require actions on the part of the user and all users can move
>through the materials at their preferred pace.

We really haven't gotten into this field. Most of our computer work
above editing gets into really serious modeling, (weather and climate)
but only because my SO did most of his university and government work
in that area.

>3. you don't say it outright, but if i may interpret what you're
>saying, it'd be this: don't look for training dvds, look for good
>training books. okay, i've no problems with that but would you give
>me your two cents as to what training books are very good? what
>little reviews i've read are not flattering when it comes to the
>classroom in a book series. agree? disagree? perhaps you have
>other books in mind?

For the money and your return on time/effort, I don't think you can
beat the Sams Teach Yourself --- in 24 hours books. I doubt they have
one on Encore yet, but I really didn't find anything needed beyond the
five tutorials included on the Encore disc. Plus, there are several
good Encore tutorials on the Web. Play around with those tutorials
and blow a couple of DVDs and you'll soon figure out how it works.
Photoshop and Premiere are very different creatures, however. You
really need help with them.

Hope this helps,

Susan

>again, thank you very much for a very thoughtful reply. i look
>forward to hearing your comments again,
>
>wondering

Wondering

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

thanks again for taking the time to write.

you've given me food for thought (and probably a little regret) cuz
i've already spent some money on training dvds for encore. didn't
think it'd be that easy to figure out. and i skimped on photoshop.
oh well. it's not that serious.

take care of yourself while you're overseas!