DVD ripper that allows portions of a DVD to be ripped rath..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2004 11:02:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
given episode. Phew, that would be something else!

Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
do this.

Thanks much!
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:06:42 PM

RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<5qgil0hl3ka7bqtjnnfnp94tnr0glovstm@4ax.com>...
> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
> of a DVD and then rip that.

What's the difference between a "segment" and a "portion", in this
case?

Try the Reauthor function on DVD Shrink, I used it to save an eight
second clip from Escape From New York
("You're the Duke! You're the Duke! You're the Duke!...you're..the
Duke.....you're A number 1..")

I'd like to create some music videos
> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>
> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
> get to mpg.

Shrink will definitely rip to VOB

Question: what do you use to convert to mpeg, I have found that the
answer "just change the file extension to .mpg" does not work well fr
me and can have different side effects

> Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
> do this.

Let us know how it goes..

STRATEGY

> Thanks much!
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 7:32:03 PM

"Bay Way 41510" <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message
> RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>> of a DVD and then rip that.
>

> What's the difference between a "segment" and a "portion", in this
> case?
>

> Try the Reauthor function on DVD Shrink, I used it to save an eight
> second clip from Escape From New York
> ("You're the Duke! You're the Duke! You're the Duke!...you're..the
> Duke.....you're A number 1..")
>

> I'd like to create some music videos
>> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>>
>> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>> get to mpg.
>
> Shrink will definitely rip to VOB
>
> Question: what do you use to convert to mpeg, I have found that the
> answer "just change the file extension to .mpg" does not work well fr
> me and can have different side effects

Here is one way to solve the convert issue;
First use "DVDShrink" or other "Ripper" to make a decrypted "VIDEO_TS"
folder. Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
"convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files. If
you
had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.
Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.
Luck;
Ken
September 28, 2004 11:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On 28 Sep 2004 12:06:42 -0700, Strategy510@gmail.com (Bay Way 41510)
wrote:

>RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<5qgil0hl3ka7bqtjnnfnp94tnr0glovstm@4ax.com>...
>> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>> of a DVD and then rip that.
>

>What's the difference between a "segment" and a "portion", in this
>case?

Sorry about the confusing words, I feel a portion is just a small
piece but I believed that DVD Shrink only ripped actual chapters.
But nice to know I didn't get that right <g>

>Try the Reauthor function on DVD Shrink, I used it to save an eight
>second clip from Escape From New York

Kewl!

>("You're the Duke! You're the Duke! You're the Duke!...you're..the
>Duke.....you're A number 1..")

<g>

> I'd like to create some music videos
>> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>>
>> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>> get to mpg.
>
>Shrink will definitely rip to VOB

Well, I just realized that normally this would be a problem. But
considering that I'm only dealing with a few seconds worth of video in
each case, that won't be bad at all. It's not like I was ripping the
entire thing and _then_ having to re-encode to a VCD format.

>Question: what do you use to convert to mpeg, I have found that the
>answer "just change the file extension to .mpg" does not work well fr
>me and can have different side effects

Super DVD Ripper (SDR) rips directly to VCD-ready MPEG1, which is what
I choose. It has other fiel formats, of course, but that's what I
use. That means that right after ripping, if I don't edit, I can burn
immediately to VCD. Also, what I found is that DVD Shrink's rips are
about double to triple the size of SDR yet quality is perfectly fine
with SDR. At least, I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality yet file
sizes for ripped DVD workouts are usually under 400 megs or so.

It's just that my machine is a little on the old side. Ripping my DVD
workout videos takes about 2 and a half hours each on average, so if I
had to re-encode to a VCD ready format on top of that, that would be
tough. <g>

>> Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
>> do this.
>

>Let us know how it goes..

Thank you! Will do. Going to try DVD Shrink again. Its interface is
not very intuitive for me, but now that I know that it can do that,
I'll sit down and keep at it till I figure it out. Shouldn't as hard
to figure out now. I have a little bit more experience at this than
when I first trying DVD Shrink a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers!

>STRATEGY
>

>> Thanks much!
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:56:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:32:03 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Bay Way 41510" <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>>> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>>> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>>> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>>> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>>> of a DVD and then rip that.
>>

>> What's the difference between a "segment" and a "portion", in this
>> case?
>>

>> Try the Reauthor function on DVD Shrink, I used it to save an eight
>> second clip from Escape From New York
>> ("You're the Duke! You're the Duke! You're the Duke!...you're..the
>> Duke.....you're A number 1..")
>>

>> I'd like to create some music videos
>>> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>>> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>>> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>>> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>>>
>>> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>>> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>>> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>>> get to mpg.
>>
>> Shrink will definitely rip to VOB
>>
>> Question: what do you use to convert to mpeg, I have found that the
>> answer "just change the file extension to .mpg" does not work well fr
>> me and can have different side effects
>>

>Here is one way to solve the convert issue;
> First use "DVDShrink" or other "Ripper" to make a decrypted "VIDEO_TS"
>folder. Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
>"convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files. If
>you
>had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
>would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.
>Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.
>Luck;
> Ken

Ken, thanks. Wow, I didn't know that re encryption. I'll keep that
in mind.

This all is a lot of fun! <g> Now that I'm figuring out that I can do
all these things, I'll definitely start saving up for the Stargate eps
more than ever. And also knowing that I can cut and paste from DVD
workouts to make target workouts on VCD, I'll be much more willing to
buy more DVD workouts than I had originally though. See, I have about
75 VHS tapes I've bought over the years but was discouraged since I'm
facing having to get rid of them. They've always taken up way too
much space. And it was too tough to do more than a few times re
making up new workouts but cutting and paste using 2 VCRs. So time
consuming with not always the best results. It's been much easier to
do DVD rips and edit in Vegas Video and then render to a new MPG. The
results have been phenomenal and mean that my workout DVDs give me
maximum value for the money.

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:26:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
> of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>
> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
> get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
> do this.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Have a look at clonedvd2 at

http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/

from what i remember you can chose the vob file and chose in and out points
etc...
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:26:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:26:15 +0100, "Paul Harrison"
<mail@paulharrison.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>> DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>> few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>> like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>> of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
>> hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>> buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>> entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>> given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>>
>> Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>> but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>> often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>> get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
>> do this.
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> Have a look at clonedvd2 at
>
>http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/
>
>from what i remember you can chose the vob file and chose in and out points
>etc...

Kewl, thanks! Another avenue to explore. I'll check this and DVD
Shrink.

I'll report back in case anyone else finds themself needing something
like this.

Cheers!
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:16:43 AM

> Ken, thanks. Wow, I didn't know that re encryption. I'll keep that
> in mind.
>
> This all is a lot of fun! <g> Now that I'm figuring out that I can do
> all these things, I'll definitely start saving up for the Stargate eps
> more than ever.

I have all but the sixth season. What I do is let my DirecTivo
provide a very good s-video signal to my capture card, that
way I can watch the episode as I capture it and skip over most
of the commercials. This gives me 5 or 6 .mpg clips per episode.
I save these episodes up until I have six for a DVD. They are
in a structure like "D:\SG1_S3_D1" with "Track1" thru "Track6"
as subdir. Then each "Track" (which contains the six .mpg for an
episode) becomes a track in TMPGEnc DVD Author. This makes
it super easy to build a DVD. The four DVDs it takes to hold a
22 Episode season, go on one side of CD/DVD 3-ring binder
page.

And also knowing that I can cut and paste from DVD
> workouts to make target workouts on VCD, I'll be much more willing to
> buy more DVD workouts than I had originally though. See, I have about
> 75 VHS tapes I've bought over the years but was discouraged since I'm
> facing having to get rid of them. They've always taken up way too
> much space. And it was too tough to do more than a few times re
> making up new workouts but cutting and paste using 2 VCRs. So time
> consuming with not always the best results. It's been much easier to
> do DVD rips and edit in Vegas Video and then render to a new MPG. The
> results have been phenomenal and mean that my workout DVDs give me
> maximum value for the money.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 5:20:51 AM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:02:54 -0400, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>get to mpg.

Quick and simple: Open a VOB from the disc in mpeg-vcr, and save the
portion you want (which is done as .mpg).
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 5:59:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:16:43 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> Ken, thanks. Wow, I didn't know that re encryption. I'll keep that
>> in mind.
>>
>> This all is a lot of fun! <g> Now that I'm figuring out that I can do
>> all these things, I'll definitely start saving up for the Stargate eps
>> more than ever.
>
> I have all but the sixth season. What I do is let my DirecTivo

Lucky you! <g>

>provide a very good s-video signal to my capture card, that
>way I can watch the episode as I capture it and skip over most
>of the commercials. This gives me 5 or 6 .mpg clips per episode.
> I save these episodes up until I have six for a DVD. They are
>in a structure like "D:\SG1_S3_D1" with "Track1" thru "Track6"
>as subdir. Then each "Track" (which contains the six .mpg for an
>episode) becomes a track in TMPGEnc DVD Author. This makes
>it super easy to build a DVD. The four DVDs it takes to hold a
>22 Episode season, go on one side of CD/DVD 3-ring binder
>page.

Totally awesome! I've been wanting a DVD burner for a while now
<sigh>. Ever since I got this computer 4 years ago, it's been a
problem keeping it backed up. To fully back up, I need about 8 CDs.
It's wicked knowing that with a DVD burner I'd probably need only
about 2 DVD disks! <grrr><g>

Very neat re your process with TMPGEnc DVD Author!

Here in Cda, we're only just getting season 7 now (and they skipped
over s6!). So a few months back I dl all of s6 in small file format
size. It was super catching all the Jonas season even though they
were tiny and grainy! <g> Real gives the best format actually for
those although I have s6 in mostly WMV format. Despite that, all 22
s6 eps fit into one CD. But Atlantis, which who knows when it'll come
up here, I have in Real and they're pretty crisp and small in size for
what we get. I'm impressed with Real, actually. And K-Lite MEGA
codec pack allows me to view these files with good old classic WMP6
just fine!

But looking forward to starting buying my SG collection <g>. Work has
been dicey in last 5 weeks where I only got 11 days work in that time,
so it'll take me a bit to catch up financially now that I started a
new job yesterday. But just as soon as I can ... <g>

Cheers!

[snip]
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:56:45 -0400, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:32:03 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
><kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>"Bay Way 41510" <Strategy510@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

[snip]

>>> Try the Reauthor function on DVD Shrink, I used it to save an eight

[snip]

I found that one of the excellent Wink tutorials on the DVD Shrink
site shows how to pull up the "Start/End Frames" box and that one can
select exactly what to rip from a DVD.

It did seem that the smallest I could copy was 15s, if I haven't
missed something, but that's okay, too.

On the tutorial page here: http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php, I
found that the "Advanced guide: removing unwanted chapters or scenes
using the re-author "Start/End" feature." shows this at about the
fourth or fifth screen in, pushing the button with arrows labelled
"Start/End" is what will bring up that box.

It worked and in 1 whole, whopping second, I had a VOB file! <g>

Will proceed from there and see how I do.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:14:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

First DVDdecrypter the disc to the HD (or use a program like AnyDVD for
on-the-fly, etc. if there's CSS), then DVDx that to get any portion of
the DVD out, down to the very frame you want.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 10:57:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:14:49 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:

>First DVDdecrypter the disc to the HD (or use a program like AnyDVD for
>on-the-fly, etc. if there's CSS), then DVDx that to get any portion of
>the DVD out, down to the very frame you want.

But that's the whole thing I was trying to avoid, the whole disk to
the hdd. DVDShrink ripped or copied or whatever, a 15-second portion
right from the DVD with no fuss and no muss. I'm now dealing with the
VOB to MPG issue but since it took one second to copy the little piece
I tried from the DVD, it shouldn't take long for a conversion of a VOB
to VCB-compliant MPG.

Much better than ripping/copying, or whatever it's called, a whole,
darned DVD to get a tiny piece. What this also means is that once I'm
able to start buying the Stargate DVDs, that when I'm watching them,
whenever I see a scene I think will look good in a music video, I can
just write down how many minutes and seconds into the ep it is. As I
love to say, when something is elegantly simple, that's the best!

Thanks for the info, though. Cheers!
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:46:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>>First DVDdecrypter the disc to the HD (or use a program like AnyDVD for
>>on-the-fly, etc. if there's CSS), then DVDx that to get any portion of
> But that's the whole thing I was trying to avoid, the whole disk to
> the hdd. DVDShrink ripped or copied or whatever, a 15-second portion

> Much better than ripping/copying, or whatever it's called, a whole,
> darned DVD to get a tiny piece. What this also means is that once I'm

Right, which is why if you've got AnyDVD or similar program running,
you can easily use DVDx to copy out any portition of the DVD out to an
AVI file fast and easy.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:01:46 PM

RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<g9fml0hgg6gqhbu5edkvvkin19tk48cu2u@4ax.com>...

What this also means is that once I'm
> able to start buying the Stargate DVDs, that when I'm watching them,
> whenever I see a scene I think will look good in a music video, I can
> just write down how many minutes and seconds into the ep it is.

I'm doing something similar, though not specific to one series or
movie..

Are you putting your own music to it, or existing songs, and what type
of music? (just curious..)

STRATEGY
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:06:28 PM

David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message news:<cji9du$f3h$1@news.service.uci.edu>...
> >>First DVDdecrypter the disc to the HD (or use a program like AnyDVD for
> >>on-the-fly, etc. if there's CSS), then DVDx that to get any portion of
> > But that's the whole thing I was trying to avoid, the whole disk to
> > the hdd. DVDShrink ripped or copied or whatever, a 15-second portion
>
> > Much better than ripping/copying, or whatever it's called, a whole,
> > darned DVD to get a tiny piece. What this also means is that once I'm
>
> Right, which is why if you've got AnyDVD or similar program running,
> you can easily use DVDx to copy out any portition of the DVD out to an
> AVI file fast and easy.

What is DVDx??

Thanks,

STRATEGY
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 12:29:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On 3 Oct 2004 14:01:46 -0700, Strategy510@gmail.com (Bay Way 41510)
wrote:

>RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<g9fml0hgg6gqhbu5edkvvkin19tk48cu2u@4ax.com>...
>

> What this also means is that once I'm
>> able to start buying the Stargate DVDs, that when I'm watching them,
>> whenever I see a scene I think will look good in a music video, I can
>> just write down how many minutes and seconds into the ep it is.
>

>I'm doing something similar, though not specific to one series or
>movie..
>
>Are you putting your own music to it, or existing songs, and what type
>of music? (just curious..)

I will be putting my own music, in terms of music I choose. DVD
Shrink does an excellent job of ripping (and it's free, a big plus!
<g>). What I like about DVD Shrink is that I can watch the DVD and
set the start and stop times and then when one clicks the backup
button, it'll rip or copy just that piece. Excellent!

I'm still stuck on the VOB file, though. What would be ideal is
either of two things:

1) That I can eventually find a DVD copier/ripper that will allow for
the same type of control on what to copy, which so far none do. Super
DVD Ripper does copy to MPG, but you have to accept the whole session.

2) or, find a way to make the Main Concept MPEG-1, MPEG-2 plugin work
in Vegas Video 4 so that it'll accept VOB files, so that I _can_ use
DVD Shrink to copy.

One or the other of the above would be fine. I did find one DVD
ripper that would work like DVD Shrink in allowing one to easily
choose a segment _before_ ripping but the quality of the output file
was incredibly bad. This software was DVD to VCD Ripper v1.00, btw,
and I was not impressed. Other rippers, like Magic DVD Ripper, I
believe it was, required that you know the times and/or frames
involved. Well, d'uh, talk about silly. The whole thing is to see
what you're choosing, instead.

So that's where this stands now. I don't care which solution I manage
to find, one or the other above would be fine. I've spent hours
googling and on KaZaA, but with no luck so far.

Cheers!
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:02:11 AM

wrote:

>Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
>hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>
>Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
>do this.
>
>Thanks much!

I'm still having problems in this one area. I've been ripping/copying
to VOB with DVD Shrink and then converting to MPG with Super DVD
Ripper whenever it's just a portion of the DVD I need and not the
whole (in which cases, I use just Super DVD Ripper, straight). But
I'm finding that I'm not 100% happy with the results because of the
quality loss in the conversion. It is noticeable enough while also
the procedure takes a very long time because converting can add a
couple of hours or so to the processing time.

Since my video editing software doesn't accept VOB, I'd like to find
an app that does what DVD Shrinkdoes, copies/rips, but to a
VCD-compliant format, MPEG-1. Anyone know of an app that does this?

I did find one. Magic DVD Ripper or 1st Click, can't remember which,
but the quality produced by this app was atrocious <g>. I got way
better quality from DVD > VOB w/ DVD Shrink > MPG1 w/ Super DVD
Ripper!

Thanks.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 5:40:52 PM

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:02:54 -0400, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
> >DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
> >few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
> >like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
> >of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
> >hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
> >buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
> >entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
> >given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
> >
> >Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
> >but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
> >often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
> >get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
> >do this.
> >
> >Thanks much!
>
> I'm still having problems in this one area. I've been ripping/copying
> to VOB with DVD Shrink and then converting to MPG with Super DVD
> Ripper whenever it's just a portion of the DVD I need and not the
> whole (in which cases, I use just Super DVD Ripper, straight). But
> I'm finding that I'm not 100% happy with the results because of the
> quality loss in the conversion. It is noticeable enough while also
> the procedure takes a very long time because converting can add a
> couple of hours or so to the processing time.
>
> Since my video editing software doesn't accept VOB, I'd like to find
> an app that does what DVD Shrinkdoes, copies/rips, but to a
> VCD-compliant format, MPEG-1. Anyone know of an app that does this?
>
> I did find one. Magic DVD Ripper or 1st Click, can't remember which,
> but the quality produced by this app was atrocious <g>. I got way
> better quality from DVD > VOB w/ DVD Shrink > MPG1 w/ Super DVD
> Ripper!
>
> Thanks.

Hi....

Rip the DVD to the hard drive and then use one of the MPEG editing
software packages available. The one I use is Womble's MPEG Video
Wizard 2003. A good editor that will allow you to screen the clip,
highlight and then cut out the parts you want and write them as DVD
compatible files.

I think VideoReDo will do the same thing altho' I have no experience
with it. TMPGEnc will probably do it too.

Good luck...
Adrian

BTW: Each of those packages allow d/l's so you can try them.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

dvd2svcd

also does vcd and dvd...

"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:02:54 -0400, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
> >DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
> >few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
> >like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
> >of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
> >hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
> >buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
> >entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
> >given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
> >
> >Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
> >but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
> >often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
> >get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
> >do this.
> >
> >Thanks much!
>
> I'm still having problems in this one area. I've been ripping/copying
> to VOB with DVD Shrink and then converting to MPG with Super DVD
> Ripper whenever it's just a portion of the DVD I need and not the
> whole (in which cases, I use just Super DVD Ripper, straight). But
> I'm finding that I'm not 100% happy with the results because of the
> quality loss in the conversion. It is noticeable enough while also
> the procedure takes a very long time because converting can add a
> couple of hours or so to the processing time.
>
> Since my video editing software doesn't accept VOB, I'd like to find
> an app that does what DVD Shrinkdoes, copies/rips, but to a
> VCD-compliant format, MPEG-1. Anyone know of an app that does this?
>
> I did find one. Magic DVD Ripper or 1st Click, can't remember which,
> but the quality produced by this app was atrocious <g>. I got way
> better quality from DVD > VOB w/ DVD Shrink > MPG1 w/ Super DVD
> Ripper!
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 10:28:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> Rip the DVD to the hard drive and then use one of the MPEG editing
> software packages available. The one I use is Womble's MPEG Video
> Wizard 2003. A good editor that will allow you to screen the clip,
> highlight and then cut out the parts you want and write them as DVD
> compatible files.

> I think VideoReDo will do the same thing altho' I have no experience
> with it. TMPGEnc will probably do it too.

> BTW: Each of those packages allow d/l's so you can try them.

Are there any freeware/open source programs similiar to this? It would
be very rare for me to use these programs to rip parts.

--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants
said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 4:24:28 PM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:28:42 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Are there any freeware/open source programs similiar to this?

There are. For instance, Chopper. Look here

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showcategor...

But if you are looking to make a new DVD from parts of other DVDs, the
easiest procedure is to use Tmpgenc DVDAuthor (not freeware): click
"Import DVD" button, then edit out parts you do not want.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:00:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:40:52 GMT, "Adrian S. Kuiper"
<askuiper@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>"RSWilson" <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:02:54 -0400, RSWilson <SpamBeGone@NoSpam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>> >DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>> >few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>> >like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>> >of a DVD and then rip that. I'd like to create some music videos
>> >hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>> >buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>> >entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>> >given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>> >
>> >Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however? I've googled
>> >but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>> >often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>> >get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
>> >do this.
>> >
>> >Thanks much!
>>
>> I'm still having problems in this one area. I've been ripping/copying
>> to VOB with DVD Shrink and then converting to MPG with Super DVD
>> Ripper whenever it's just a portion of the DVD I need and not the
>> whole (in which cases, I use just Super DVD Ripper, straight). But
>> I'm finding that I'm not 100% happy with the results because of the
>> quality loss in the conversion. It is noticeable enough while also
>> the procedure takes a very long time because converting can add a
>> couple of hours or so to the processing time.
>>
>> Since my video editing software doesn't accept VOB, I'd like to find
>> an app that does what DVD Shrinkdoes, copies/rips, but to a
>> VCD-compliant format, MPEG-1. Anyone know of an app that does this?
>>
>> I did find one. Magic DVD Ripper or 1st Click, can't remember which,
>> but the quality produced by this app was atrocious <g>. I got way
>> better quality from DVD > VOB w/ DVD Shrink > MPG1 w/ Super DVD
>> Ripper!
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Hi....
>
> Rip the DVD to the hard drive and then use one of the MPEG editing
>software packages available. The one I use is Womble's MPEG Video
>Wizard 2003. A good editor that will allow you to screen the clip,

But I'm right back to the problem of VOB not being supported in what I
have. If I could find a decent DVD ripper that rips to selectable
portions in MPEG-1 format, _then_ I could do that.

Ah well. That's life.

>highlight and then cut out the parts you want and write them as DVD
>compatible files.
>
> I think VideoReDo will do the same thing altho' I have no experience
>with it. TMPGEnc will probably do it too.
>
> Good luck...
> Adrian
>

> BTW: Each of those packages allow d/l's so you can try them.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:46:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,comp.publish.cdrom.software,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>> >Coming here to the experts. I've tried a few rippers and prefer Super
>> >DVD Ripper (it rips directly to VCD compliant mpg!) but have tried a
>> >few others. All seem to only rip the complete DVD or segments of,
>> >like DVD Shrink. I couldn't figure out how to just select a portion
>> >of a DVD and then rip that.

You're unlikely to find software that rips a DVD in increments less
than a track.

>> > I'd like to create some music videos
>> >hopefully out of a future Stargate collection of season DVDs I plan to
>> >buy <g>. But was thinking how nightmarish it would be to have to rip
>> >entire portions of a DVD just to get a 3 or 4 second piece out of any
>> >given episode. Phew, that would be something else!
>> >Is there a good DVD ripper that can do this, however?

You're likely to have to rip the entire DVD and chose the tracks you
want.

>> > I've googled
>> >but the descriptions don't sound good. Also, unlike Super DVD Ripper,
>> >often rippers copy to VOB so that a further conversion must be done to
>> >get to mpg. Anyway, was hoping someone already knew of one that would
>> >do this.
>> >
>> >Thanks much!
>>
>> I'm still having problems in this one area. I've been ripping/copying
>> to VOB with DVD Shrink and then converting to MPG with Super DVD
>> Ripper whenever it's just a portion of the DVD I need and not the
>> whole (in which cases, I use just Super DVD Ripper, straight). But
>> I'm finding that I'm not 100% happy with the results because of the
>> quality loss in the conversion. It is noticeable enough while also
>> the procedure takes a very long time because converting can add a
>> couple of hours or so to the processing time.
>>
>> Since my video editing software doesn't accept VOB, I'd like to find
>> an app that does what DVD Shrinkdoes, copies/rips, but to a
>> VCD-compliant format, MPEG-1. Anyone know of an app that does this?
>>
>> I did find one. Magic DVD Ripper or 1st Click, can't remember which,
>> but the quality produced by this app was atrocious <g>. I got way
>> better quality from DVD > VOB w/ DVD Shrink > MPG1 w/ Super DVD
>> Ripper!
>>
>> Thanks.

>dvd2svcd
>
>also does vcd and dvd...

dvd2svcd is a good choice but the OP seems unusually insistent on
editing VOBs:

Rip the DVD to one big VOB file (I like CladDVD), then use Avisynth
(with the mpeg2dec.dll or mpegdecoder plugin) to open the VOB file in
TMPGenc, which can edit the VOB and create the mpeg1 file. Both
Avisynth and TMPGenc are freeware.
!