Remote Desktop Connection Only Works One Way

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup my home desktop to accept incoming
remote desktop connections. My intent is to connect to my
desktop from my laptop when I'm away from home. However, I
can't get it to work. Here's the problem, everytime I try
to connect to my desktop from the laptop I get the error
message that, "The client could not connect to the remote
computer. Remote connections might not be enabled...." The
strange part is, I can connect to my laptop from my desktop
just fine. The settings are the same for both computers.
I'm running XP Pro on both systems. I turned off the
firewall for testing purposes. As a matter of fact, the
only difference between the two systems is the way I'm
connecting to the interenet. The desktop is using a
broadband connection (Bellsouth DSL), and the laptop is
using a dialup connection (Bellsouth Dialup). Does anybody
have a clue why the Remote Desktop Connection is working in
one direction but not the other even though all the
settings are the same for both computers? BTW I also tried
to connect to a friend in England who is using a broadband
connection, a cable modem setup. It didn't work in either
direction either. Is there special settings for broadband
connections or something? If anybody can provide some help,
I'd appreciate it.
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection works

    Is the remote desktop installed on the laptop? If not go
    to install add/remove software->windows components->
    select Internet Information systems click detail select
    World wide web service click detail check remote desktop
    web connection and install it.
    Also if it is installed already or after you have
    installed it the first time go to system properties
    select the remote tab and check the "Allow user to
    connect to this computer remotely" checkbox. With you
    friend in England if he has a firewall/router he may need
    To open port 3389 to allow RDP to connect.

    Craig

    I just had (and resolved) the same problem yesterday.
    After three days of wondering, testing, and question
    asking to all the right (and sometimes wrong) network
    administrators in various GOVERNMENT agencies, I hit
    paydirt.

    I have two home towers. Both have XP Pro. Computer(A) is
    connected via Verizon Online DSL. Computer(B) was
    connected via NetZero dial-up (for testing purposes). (A)
    could RDC (B) but not vice-versa.

    The IP Address that NetZero assigned (B) was a legitimate
    (public) IP Address (although short-lived because NetZero
    will timeout rather quickly if system remains idle, thus
    requiring you to restart the NetZero connection and be
    assigned a new temporary IP Address).

    The IP Address that was assigned to (A) was from a private
    series (192.168.*.*) of IP addresses set by a DHCP through
    my DSL modem. (i.e. - my modem also acts as a kind of
    router). What does that mean? That means my (real)
    public IP Address was being hidden for some ungodly
    reason. I went to my command prompt and
    typed "ipconfig". I found out my default gateway and
    typed it in the address bar on Internet Explorer
    (http://192.168.*.*). This gave me a login prompt to
    input the username and password I initially used to
    activate my modem & DSL service allowing me access to all
    kinds of system and configuration info from Westell (my
    modem manufacturer). I found out their DNS info and got
    them to assign my modem a single (public) static IP
    Address. I then manually assigned the new static IP
    Address and DNS info to my computer versus allowing it to
    automatically obtain both. And voila!!! Problem solved.
    I can either activate ICF and be sure to allow remote
    desktop traffic, or I can choose to not activate ICF and
    flow smoothly either way.

    Now, there is no guarantee that you will be able to take
    the same steps to obtain a legitimate IP. But if your IP
    Address starts with 192.168.*.*, you definitely need to
    change it in order to remotely access your computer. You
    may have to contact your ISP and find out from them what
    your true IP Address is and manually reconfigure your
    system.

    Good luck... Hope this was helpful.

Remote Desktop Laptops Connection Desktops Windows XP