How to use tmpgenc to convert dvd to vcd

My laptop doesnt have a dvd player, so Id like to burn a VCD of a DVD
at home.
Ive read tmpgenc is the way to go to make vcds, but what kind of prep
work do I need to do before it can accept it?

Thanks!

"Ben Nguyen" <benn686@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My laptop doesnt have a dvd player, so Id like to burn a VCD of a DVD
> at home.
> Ive read tmpgenc is the way to go to make vcds, but what kind of prep
> work do I need to do before it can accept it?
>
> Thanks!

Here is one way to solve the convert issue;
First use "DVDShrink" or other "Ripper" to make a decrypted "VIDEO_TS"
folder. Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
"convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files. If
you had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.
Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.

A software player on your laptop could play the MPEGs off your CDs,
or you could copy them into a folder on your hard drive and play them
from there.

Luck;
Ken

On 28 Sep 2004 11:32:18 -0700, benn686@hotmail.com (Ben Nguyen) wrote:

>My laptop doesnt have a dvd player, so Id like to burn a VCD of a DVD
>at home.
>Ive read tmpgenc is the way to go to make vcds, but what kind of prep
>work do I need to do before it can accept it?
>
>Thanks!
Get a free programme called DVD2SVCD from http://www.dvd2dvd.org/
This will take the DVD and turn out either vcd or SVCD(which I
prefer).
It works a treat.