Losing wireless connection after 5 mins

Orson

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

I've just bought a Toshiba Dynabook, and I'm having major problems with my
LAN. I'm extremely untechnically-minded, and am drowning in a sea of
acronyms.

My desktop is fine, but the new laptop can see the network, but is unable to
get an IP address (it says) even if I click on 'repair'. It has some kind of
built in wireless LAN card.

The only solution for me is to unplug my router, and then plug it back in. I
click on repair, and can connect to the Internet.

However, after 5 minutes, it suddenly loses the connection, and I'm back to
the beginnning. Holding my mouse over the taskbar thingee tells me that it
can see the network, and that the signal is very strong. I have no idea what
to do. The kicker is that I'm in Japan (my OS is Japanese), and I can't read
the manuals very well!

When it is connected (for the precious few minutes), the connection status
says that the address type is assigned by DHCP, and the IP is one digit
different from the one on my desktop.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. The simpler the English, the
better....

Actually I'm stealing Craig's reply to a similar post:

Without knowing your exact configuration and looking at the symptoms I'd
suggest that you look at the 802.1x settings on your client.

If your connecton is dropping every 5-6 minutes it could be caused by having
802.1x set on your connection. If so, follow the steps in this article and
see if it resolves the issue for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814123

The article references SP1 but it applies to SP2 as well. Basically, we
disconnect from a network if the client is set to do 802.1x and
authentication doesn't succeed (we use the rule that if you set it, then you
REALLY wanted to authenticate using 802.1x).

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Orson" <justinian_p@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Toshiba Dynabook, and I'm having major problems with my
> LAN. I'm extremely untechnically-minded, and am drowning in a sea of
> acronyms.
>
> My desktop is fine, but the new laptop can see the network, but is unable
> to get an IP address (it says) even if I click on 'repair'. It has some
> kind of built in wireless LAN card.
>
> The only solution for me is to unplug my router, and then plug it back in.
> I click on repair, and can connect to the Internet.
>
> However, after 5 minutes, it suddenly loses the connection, and I'm back
> to the beginnning. Holding my mouse over the taskbar thingee tells me that
> it can see the network, and that the signal is very strong. I have no idea
> what to do. The kicker is that I'm in Japan (my OS is Japanese), and I
> can't read the manuals very well!
>
> When it is connected (for the precious few minutes), the connection status
> says that the address type is assigned by DHCP, and the IP is one digit
> different from the one on my desktop.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received. The simpler the English, the
> better....

Carey