Pinnacle Studio, ULead Videostudio, or Adobe Premier Pro 1.5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2004 7:38:57 PM

I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
Premiere Pro 1.5?
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 8:20:42 PM

you should use Premiere 1.5. Most definately a lot better behaved than
either of the other two programs you mentioned. I just finished a commercial
in 1.5 and it was a breeze. I own Final Cut but never use it because it is
so much slower than Premiere Pro.
"MarkW" <markwco*remove to reply*@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
> video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
> program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
> Premiere Pro 1.5?
September 30, 2004 12:10:25 AM

I'd go with Premiere Pro.

Premiere 5.x was a disaster and many people switched to ULead or Pinnacle or
Avid Xpress because of it. Motivated to regain the throne, the Premiere design
team did a complete rewrite of the program from the ground up and now people are
flocking back to Premiere Pro in droves...

ULead is decent but lacks the wealth of features found in PP......Pinnacle
Studio is still too buggy.

"MarkW" <markwco*remove to reply*@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
> video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
> program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
> Premiere Pro 1.5?
September 30, 2004 1:02:55 AM

MarkW wrote:
> I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
> video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
> program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
> Premiere Pro 1.5?

Don't forget to check out Sony Vegas & DVD Architect as well.

Mike
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:46:13 PM

Well lets see. I have had trouble with Ulead from 6 on up. Premiere
Pro is expensive and a fair learning curve and is over kill for basic
work. I have used Pinnacle Studio from the beginning and until
version 9 you had to really be on your toes to keep it working right.
The capturing has always been excellent and still is with version 9.
The editing until version 9 has always been outstanding if you were
able to solve the multiple problems. The burning part has always
seemed to me to work well. In version 9 I have had no problems and
have upgraded to Studio 9 Plus and hope to receive it soon. Looks
good and the one item I like is picture in picture. I have even seen
it recently on sale at Frys for a super low price. If you have a
decent machine and a fairly clean software install you should find the
installation trouble free. I am sure you will find people who bitch
about Studio, but I think there is a 100 satisfied customer to each
complainer.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:38:57 GMT, MarkW <markwco*remove to
reply*@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
>video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
>program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
>Premiere Pro 1.5?
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 1:33:34 AM

Donald

I also like Pinnacle 9, and have just purchased it after trying out the
trial version - a little bit of a learning curve, but overall not too
bad. A very nice clean layout is what really appeals to me, as does the
ability to go from go to whoa without buggerising around with half a
dozen apps.

BUT, the capture is NOT its strong point. I just did a test and Ulead,
WinDv, DVIO, and WMM2 ALL produce captures superior in quality (as
judged by the 'readability of text videoed) to Pinnacle - so I capture
with WinDV and do all the rest with Pinnacle.

David - who wonders if there is someway of getting Pinnacle to use a
different CODEC (if that is the problem) for capturing

Donald Link wrote:
> work. I have used Pinnacle Studio from the beginning and until
> The capturing has always been excellent and still is with version 9.

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:09:39 AM

I did just look at Sony Vegas 5. From what I'm continuing to read it
seems Adobe Premiere is very advanced but also very powerful. Studio
9 appears to be much better than earlier versions and more basic.
From what I've read of Ulead I'm not that interested anymore. What I
liked about Sony is it can take your files and convert them to
RealVideo, Quicktime, and Windows Media. If I'm right Studio 9
doesn't do this but does Adobe Premiere or Ulead do this?
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 2:05:28 PM

MarkW wrote:
> I did just look at Sony Vegas 5. From what I'm continuing to read it
> seems Adobe Premiere is very advanced but also very powerful. Studio
> 9 appears to be much better than earlier versions and more basic.
> From what I've read of Ulead I'm not that interested anymore. What I
> liked about Sony is it can take your files and convert them to
> RealVideo, Quicktime, and Windows Media. If I'm right Studio 9
> doesn't do this but does Adobe Premiere or Ulead do this?

Studio 8 Does this so I would say S9 would also be able to. If you go to
'Make Movie' and 'Stream' you will see options there.
October 2, 2004 8:13:21 AM

> I have used Pinnacle Studio from the beginning and until
>version 9 you had to really be on your toes to keep it working right.

I have Studio 8 and the only problem I ever had with it was you couldn't use a
jpg picture file as a frame background for titles and such. I find it works
very similar to Windows Movie Maker.

2-Ton Toni
October 2, 2004 4:50:04 PM

MarkW a écrit :
> I am going to be doing a lot of desktop video, basically inputting
> video from a camcorder mostly to create DVD's. I am wondering which
> program I should use, Pinnacle Studio 9, ULead Videostudio 8, or Adobe
> Premiere Pro 1.5?
Don't forget Vegas 5.0, it's the best
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 6:43:22 PM

I just had a look at my Pinnacle 9 output - it does do Windows media,
Realvideo, and lots of other options

David - who suggests you have a look at the Pinnacle site

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?
Anonymous

There is a lite version of Vegas called Vegas Movie Studio+DVD. It goes for
only $99.00. Now uses the Sony DV codec and has inhouse DVD application called
DVD Architect If you can get your hands on an older version of Screen Blast
Movie Studio or Sonic Foundry Video Factory you can upgrade for only $29.99.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/showprod...
atureID=7786

Craig H.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:34:44 AM

first thing, a coupla questions

1. DV or analog?

2. how much editing will you be doing?

3. if you edit at all, are you going to go special effects crazy?

I ask, because what I infer from the original post is a desire to
simply capture the video to the PC and burn DVDs. While the debate can
rage on over which software is best, most of those mentioned would be
overkill for what I read as the original intent.

If you are going to do some serious editing, I would suggest
downloading demo versions to see which tool works best for you, which
one thinks like you think.

Years ago I checked out Media 100, the Video Cube, Avid etc... because
of my time in TV news and actually shooting film, Avid made the most
sense to me, it was familiar right off the bat. clips, bins, etc.

For you it might be completely different. I have been curious about
Vegas (I use Ulead MSP 6.5 at home and Avid XpressDV at work) but just
read a hands on review in DV magazine, and have decided it's not for
me.. only one sequence per project, heck that would never work for me.
I build small sequences and then build my final program from there.
And the unusal naming sitaution...as the writer said, "Vegas just
happens to utilize a Starbucks approach of referring to commong things
by unique names."

!