roaming profiles

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Searched both the Help and Support in my winxp and ms site, found pieces of
info on the subject, know how to setup a share for the roaming profile and
how to choose between local and roaming profile. but still don't know the
whole picture. My problem mainly on don't know which PC should I apply which
setup.

Here is what I want:
I have 2 PC, one win2k pro and another one winxp pro. winxp is the main one
me and my family use. But if one of us is using it, others will have to use
win2k. I want the profile in winxp to be roam to win2k so that the one who
use win2k can continue to use his/her own desktop setting, bookmarks,
documents etc. in winxp (you can assume when win2k is on only when winxp is
on). If it is necessary, I can upgrade the win2k pro to xp pro. Can someone
please give me a simple procedure to do this or point me to a step-by-step
instruction?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

First off - you can't use roaming profiles in a workgroup, so that's that.
Secondly, even if you had a domain, profiles are different between OS
versions, so you can't roam from W2k to XP Pro without getting some profile
corruption eventually.

Set up profiles in each workstation for each user....changes won't follow
them, but they should have what they need; you can copy favorites over. You
can share files, printers, etc., thru the home network - you can point the
My Documents settings at a single computer as a "server" if you set up a
share with the proper permissions there.