jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't played
the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.

Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it should be
in the 'play games' part but it's not. So i said to goto 'browse games' then
'individual games' and find it there. He did but it's saying 'click for
purchase options' so he does and it says he already owns it?

How can this be worked out?

BTW he has HL2 and the rest..

Thanks

jethro

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Jimbob wrote:
> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't played
> the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>
> Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it should be
> in the 'play games' part but it's not. So i said to goto 'browse games' then
> 'individual games' and find it there. He did but it's saying 'click for
> purchase options' so he does and it says he already owns it?
>
> How can this be worked out?
>
> BTW he has HL2 and the rest..
>
> Thanks

Does he have the original HL1 with working CD-key?
You need to have access to HL1 to be able to download and run the
original DOD.

If you only have HL2 you need more than the base retial package to get
the back catalogue... I think.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

Jimbob wrote:
> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't played
> the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>
> Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it should be
> in the 'play games' part but it's not.

Strange, if he owns the original HL, it should be there and "greyed"
out, ready to download & install.

> So i said to goto 'browse games' then
> 'individual games' and find it there. He did but it's saying 'click for
> purchase options' so he does and it says he already owns it?

Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Jethro wrote:
> Jimbob wrote:
>> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't
>> played the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>>
>> Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it
>> should be in the 'play games' part but it's not. So i said to goto
>> 'browse games' then 'individual games' and find it there. He did but
>> it's saying 'click for purchase options' so he does and it says he
>> already owns it?
>>
>> How can this be worked out?
>>
>> BTW he has HL2 and the rest..
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Does he have the original HL1 with working CD-key?
> You need to have access to HL1 to be able to download and run the
> original DOD.
>
> If you only have HL2 you need more than the base retial package to get
> the back catalogue... I think.

Aha.. thats the problem then, no he only bought HL2.

So theres no way for him to get it, other than paying for it?

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Jimbob wrote:
>> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't
>> played the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>>
>> Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it
>> should be in the 'play games' part but it's not.
>
> Strange, if he owns the original HL, it should be there and "greyed"
> out, ready to download & install.
>
>> So i said to goto 'browse games' then
>> 'individual games' and find it there. He did but it's saying 'click
>> for purchase options' so he does and it says he already owns it?
>
> Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?

No. Seems he'l have to fork some cash out, may aswell wait for DOD:Source
now.

"Jimbob" wrote

> No. Seems he'l have to fork some cash out, may aswell wait for DOD:Source
> now.

No HL - no DoD
DoD is a mod for HL :)

- Peter

Jimbob wrote:
> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't played
> the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>
> Problem is, it's not available for some reason, my reckoning is it should be
> in the 'play games' part but it's not. So i said to goto 'browse games' then
> 'individual games' and find it there. He did but it's saying 'click for
> purchase options' so he does and it says he already owns it?
>
> How can this be worked out?
>
> BTW he has HL2 and the rest..
>
> Thanks

This question has been asked by everyone it seems...

DoD:Source will be available to pre-order this week. If it isn't
available yet, wait several days. Either Valve will announce it's ready
for pre-ordering, or you'll find out yourself when checking.

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote
> > My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't
played
> > the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.

> DoD:Source will be available to pre-order this week. If it isn't
> available yet, wait several days. Either Valve will announce it's ready
> for pre-ordering, or you'll find out yourself when checking.

It's the original he wants to download, not DoD:S. Not that I can help;)
- -
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message

> Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?

Hang on, can we get Op4 with a basic HL CD key?

Actually, I've recently installed DoD myself, and wouldn't mind giving it a go,
but someone will have to show me the ropes :)

--
Paul

David Firewater wrote:
> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote
>
>>>My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't
>
> played
>
>>>the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.
>

>>DoD:Source will be available to pre-order this week. If it isn't
>>available yet, wait several days. Either Valve will announce it's ready
>>for pre-ordering, or you'll find out yourself when checking.
>

> It's the original he wants to download, not DoD:S. Not that I can help;)
> - -
> David
> davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

Whoops! Guess I can be forgiven for that though.

Paul Catley wrote:
> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>
>>Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?
>

> Hang on, can we get Op4 with a basic HL CD key?
>
> Actually, I've recently installed DoD myself, and wouldn't mind giving it a go,
> but someone will have to show me the ropes :)
>
> --
> Paul

Yes, yes. A simple HL key will get you the entire platinum pack of
games, which includes OP4.

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes, yes. A simple HL key will get you the entire platinum pack of games,
> which includes OP4.

Ooh! Cool :)

--
Paul

GFree proclaimed...

> Yes, yes. A simple HL key will get you the entire platinum pack of
> games, which includes OP4.

I still to this day fail to understand how so many people like Opposing
Force and Blue Shift.

Half-life had a great story, varying locations it screamed of Valve's
panache whereas the others were plain ordinary.

In addition I'd have to say that Half-life2 is not as good as Half-life.
I've lost count of the amount of times I've played Half-life through,
completely. I think I've only played Half-life2 through twice.

That said it still makes Opposing Force and Blue Shift look very
mediocre.

So whenever anyone speaks of Blue Shift or Opposing Force in the same
breath as Half-life or Half-life2 then I'm afraid I'm just going to have
to look down upon you from my greater gaming viewpoint and pick each of
you off in turn with my crossbow.

Lastly. I'm pleased that Half-life was a huge financial success. Now
Valve will be able to keep all their projects in house and not have to
farm them off to sub-standard companies who don't have the same
understanding or dedication to great game creation.

Class dismissed!

--
www.stri.tk

"Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message

> So whenever anyone speaks of Blue Shift or Opposing Force in the same
> breath as Half-life or Half-life2 then I'm afraid I'm just going to have
> to look down upon you from my greater gaming viewpoint and pick each of
> you off in turn with my crossbow.

Er... I only asked if it was free.

--
Paul

jethro

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

Paul Catley wrote:
> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>
>>Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?
>

> Hang on, can we get Op4 with a basic HL CD key?
>
> Actually, I've recently installed DoD myself, and wouldn't mind giving it a go,
> but someone will have to show me the ropes :)
>
> --
> Paul

Paul

Here are some (US I think) DOD servers that are quite nice. Fun and full
of admins.
Phat_Phingers is on when he's home and I pop in sometimes.

[95th Rifles] DoD Alpha Server - FF|59ms|69.31.96.242:27015
[95th Rifles] DoD Bravo Server - FF|61ms|69.31.96.243:27015
[95th Rifles] DoD Charlie Server - FF|60ms|69.31.96.246:27015
--

Paul Catley wrote:
> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?
>
> Hang on, can we get Op4 with a basic HL CD key?
>
> Actually, I've recently installed DoD myself, and wouldn't mind
> giving it a go, but someone will have to show me the ropes :)

I had a couple of weeks playing it a bit back, took me a while to understand
what was going on. It's similar to cs, as in if you don't know what your
doing all the top guns will pick you off easily.

Saying that, the game was alot of fun, the weapons were cool.

If you want to have a blast sometime, let me know :)

Paul Catley wrote:
> "Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
>
>>So whenever anyone speaks of Blue Shift or Opposing Force in the same
>>breath as Half-life or Half-life2 then I'm afraid I'm just going to have
>>to look down upon you from my greater gaming viewpoint and pick each of
>>you off in turn with my crossbow.
>

> Er... I only asked if it was free.

Yes, but obviously Sti has so much free-time in his life that he feels
the need to rant for no particular reason. :)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:26:18 +0930, GFree <neon@gmail.com> wrote:

>Paul Catley wrote:
>> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Can he play HL, CS, Op4, TFC, etc?
>>

>> Hang on, can we get Op4 with a basic HL CD key?
>>
>> Actually, I've recently installed DoD myself, and wouldn't mind giving it a go,
>> but someone will have to show me the ropes :)
>>
>> --
>> Paul
>
>Yes, yes. A simple HL key will get you the entire platinum pack of
>games, which includes OP4.

Good thing too - I was about to install Blue Shift, as I never got
around to playing it first time round, only to find the CD was
missing, as was my HL 1 CD. Out of curiosity, I entered the code on
the front of the Blue Shift case and was delighted to see that it had
unlocked HL, Blue shift AND Opposing Force for download.

I downloaded them and am currently playing my way through They Hunger
on HL1.

Steam is great !

And what's with all the carrots ?

"Jimbob" wrote

> My friend is gearing up for dod:source to be released and he hasn't played
> the original before, so i told him to get it via steam.

CS:Source is on sale (EA games) for $40
Included is HL2 DM and ............

Tadahh

DOD:Source
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646344

<quote>
In addition to the award-winning Counter-Strike gameplay, this SKU also
includes Half-Life 2: Deathmatch - featuring fast action in physically
simulated environments -- and Day of Defeat: Source, Valve's World War II
online action thriller set in the European theater of operations.
All the real-time gameplay and advanced graphics delivered in
Counter-Strike: Source are made possible by Source, Valve's proprietary
engine technology.
</quote>

All credits goes to SteamKILLER for providing the link to the new game
packages from Valve/EA

:) Peter

"Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message

> Here are some (US I think) DOD servers that are quite nice. Fun and full of
> admins.

Cheers Jethro, I might look in, though my broadband is a bit puny for
trans-Atlantic crossings.

> Phat_Phingers is on when he's home and I pop in sometimes.
>
> Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger

Er, right... are you talking about yourself in the third person?

--
Paul

"Jimbob" <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I had a couple of weeks playing it a bit back, took me a while to understand
> what was going on. It's similar to cs, as in if you don't know what your
> doing all the top guns will pick you off easily.
>
> Saying that, the game was alot of fun, the weapons were cool.
>
> If you want to have a blast sometime, let me know :)

Cheers Jimbob, I may do that, soon.

--
Paul