HL2 keeps crashing.. driving me nuts

Hi to all,

Hopefully somebody in this group will be able to sort out the problem
as Valve's own forum and support are woefully inadequate..
Anyhoo, it all started last week - came to fire up HL2 and it tells
me that my display drivers are out of date, no biggie, popped over to
ATI and downloaded Catalyst drivers 5.8.. I'm using a Radeon x300
128MB - not a good card i know but it's good enough me and HL2..
Uninstalled my old display drivers and installed the new one without a
hitch.. fired up HL2 and it loaded, started my save game and then got
to play for about 5mins before it completely locks up with a looping
sound (which varies BTW) didn't get an error box pop up, in fact
didn't get anything as everything is locked up even the keyboard..
forced me to do a hard reboot. It's done this many many times since
i've tried to play HL2.. done everything that i can think of to
address the problem.. validated my HL2 cache files (nothing there)
even deleted the cache and had Steam "reload" HL2 with exactly the
same result, aslo tried playing it without sound since i hear a
looping sound when it crashes, but that doesn't do anything either.
So, i even reinstalled my old display drivers to see if that would
help but HL2 won't let me start without updating them first.. stupid!
if you ask me.. Oh for the record, this problem is the same not matter
which game i play.. HL2, HL, OF, BS, CS, HL2DM.. i get about 5mins of
playtime before it locks up.. I'm using Windows Media Edition 2005 (XP
with sp2 basically) Never had this problem before and like i said it
only started last week.. tried ATI too but haven't found anything that
is helpful to me.

TIA

toadie

toadie05@sbcglobal.net proclaimed...

> Hi to all,
>
> Hopefully somebody in this group will be able to sort out the problem
> as Valve's own forum and support are woefully inadequate..
> Anyhoo, it all started last week - came to fire up HL2 and it tells
> me that my display drivers are out of date, no biggie, popped over to
> ATI and downloaded Catalyst drivers 5.8.. I'm using a Radeon x300
> 128MB - not a good card i know but it's good enough me and HL2..
> Uninstalled my old display drivers and installed the new one without a
> hitch.. fired up HL2 and it loaded, started my save game and then got
> to play for about 5mins before it completely locks up with a looping
> sound (which varies BTW) didn't get an error box pop up, in fact
> didn't get anything as everything is locked up even the keyboard..
> forced me to do a hard reboot. It's done this many many times since
> i've tried to play HL2.. done everything that i can think of to
> address the problem.. validated my HL2 cache files (nothing there)
> even deleted the cache and had Steam "reload" HL2 with exactly the
> same result, aslo tried playing it without sound since i hear a
> looping sound when it crashes, but that doesn't do anything either.
> So, i even reinstalled my old display drivers to see if that would
> help but HL2 won't let me start without updating them first.. stupid!
> if you ask me.. Oh for the record, this problem is the same not matter
> which game i play.. HL2, HL, OF, BS, CS, HL2DM.. i get about 5mins of
> playtime before it locks up.. I'm using Windows Media Edition 2005 (XP
> with sp2 basically) Never had this problem before and like i said it
> only started last week.. tried ATI too but haven't found anything that
> is helpful to me.

I'm not much use at this sort of thing but my first thought would be to
find out what the drivers where before you updated them.

CS:S and HL:2 always ask me to update my drivers but I ignore the
warning as I know the drivers I have are the best for the card I have[1]

If you're on XP it may be possible for you to roll back the driver that
is installed. If not that then try to identify the drivers you used to
have. Boot in safe mode. Remove the drivers, reboot back into safe mode
and install the old.

Hope that helps.

GF4 Ti4200 (and older card)

--
www.stri.tk

shawk

"Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> toadie05@sbcglobal.net proclaimed...
>
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> Hopefully somebody in this group will be able to sort out the problem
>> as Valve's own forum and support are woefully inadequate..
>> Anyhoo, it all started last week - came to fire up HL2 and it tells
>> me that my display drivers are out of date, no biggie, popped over to
>> ATI and downloaded Catalyst drivers 5.8.. I'm using a Radeon x300
>> 128MB - not a good card i know but it's good enough me and HL2..
>> Uninstalled my old display drivers and installed the new one without a
>> hitch.. fired up HL2 and it loaded, started my save game and then got
>> to play for about 5mins before it completely locks up with a looping
>> sound (which varies BTW) didn't get an error box pop up, in fact
>> didn't get anything as everything is locked up even the keyboard..
>> forced me to do a hard reboot. It's done this many many times since
>> i've tried to play HL2.. done everything that i can think of to
>> address the problem.. validated my HL2 cache files (nothing there)
>> even deleted the cache and had Steam "reload" HL2 with exactly the
>> same result, aslo tried playing it without sound since i hear a
>> looping sound when it crashes, but that doesn't do anything either.
>> So, i even reinstalled my old display drivers to see if that would
>> help but HL2 won't let me start without updating them first.. stupid!
>> if you ask me.. Oh for the record, this problem is the same not matter
>> which game i play.. HL2, HL, OF, BS, CS, HL2DM.. i get about 5mins of
>> playtime before it locks up.. I'm using Windows Media Edition 2005 (XP
>> with sp2 basically) Never had this problem before and like i said it
>> only started last week.. tried ATI too but haven't found anything that
>> is helpful to me.
>
> I'm not much use at this sort of thing but my first thought would be to
> find out what the drivers where before you updated them.
>
> CS:S and HL:2 always ask me to update my drivers but I ignore the
> warning as I know the drivers I have are the best for the card I have[1]
>
> If you're on XP it may be possible for you to roll back the driver that
> is installed. If not that then try to identify the drivers you used to
> have. Boot in safe mode. Remove the drivers, reboot back into safe mode
> and install the old.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> GF4 Ti4200 (and older card)

You didn't say whether this is all games or just those through Steam.
Assuming all games then same advice as Strider but you might need to use
driver cleaner to get rid of any traces of the newer driver before using the
older one. Definitely sounds like a driver issue. I also ignore the
message to update drivers and it always lets me start a game.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:11:00 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
>> toadie05@sbcglobal.net proclaimed...
>>
>>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> Hopefully somebody in this group will be able to sort out the problem
>>> as Valve's own forum and support are woefully inadequate..
>>> Anyhoo, it all started last week - came to fire up HL2 and it tells
>>> me that my display drivers are out of date, no biggie, popped over to
>>> ATI and downloaded Catalyst drivers 5.8.. I'm using a Radeon x300
>>> 128MB - not a good card i know but it's good enough me and HL2..
>>> Uninstalled my old display drivers and installed the new one without a
>>> hitch.. fired up HL2 and it loaded, started my save game and then got
>>> to play for about 5mins before it completely locks up with a looping
>>> sound (which varies BTW) didn't get an error box pop up, in fact
>>> didn't get anything as everything is locked up even the keyboard..
>>> forced me to do a hard reboot. It's done this many many times since
>>> i've tried to play HL2.. done everything that i can think of to
>>> address the problem.. validated my HL2 cache files (nothing there)
>>> even deleted the cache and had Steam "reload" HL2 with exactly the
>>> same result, aslo tried playing it without sound since i hear a
>>> looping sound when it crashes, but that doesn't do anything either.
>>> So, i even reinstalled my old display drivers to see if that would
>>> help but HL2 won't let me start without updating them first.. stupid!
>>> if you ask me.. Oh for the record, this problem is the same not matter
>>> which game i play.. HL2, HL, OF, BS, CS, HL2DM.. i get about 5mins of
>>> playtime before it locks up.. I'm using Windows Media Edition 2005 (XP
>>> with sp2 basically) Never had this problem before and like i said it
>>> only started last week.. tried ATI too but haven't found anything that
>>> is helpful to me.
>>
>> I'm not much use at this sort of thing but my first thought would be to
>> find out what the drivers where before you updated them.
>>
>> CS:S and HL:2 always ask me to update my drivers but I ignore the
>> warning as I know the drivers I have are the best for the card I have[1]
>>
>> If you're on XP it may be possible for you to roll back the driver that
>> is installed. If not that then try to identify the drivers you used to
>> have. Boot in safe mode. Remove the drivers, reboot back into safe mode
>> and install the old.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> GF4 Ti4200 (and older card)
>>

>You didn't say whether this is all games or just those through Steam.
>Assuming all games then same advice as Strider but you might need to use
>driver cleaner to get rid of any traces of the newer driver before using the
>older one. Definitely sounds like a driver issue. I also ignore the
>message to update drivers and it always lets me start a game.

hey success!.. rolled back to my old drivers and HL2 started and plays
without a problem.. funnily enough though i never use to get that
ignore message from HL2 - it just wouldn't start but it's working now.
Oh and to answer your questions it was only the games through Steam
that wouldn't work. Thanks for all of your help guys - keep you the
good work!

toadie

This doesn't sound like a game or a driver issue to me. It sounds like a
hardware problem.

Are you sure your PC is running at a comfortable temperature? (ideally
less than <60C processor and <40C system)
Are you sure your components are receieving the correct voltage (ie.
that your powersupply is working correctly)
Are you sure that none of the capacitors on your motherboard or graphics
card are leaking?

If some of this makes no sense to you, post back...

Civilian_Target