Canon Pixma cartridge IP4000 query

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 5, 2005 6:05:40 AM

We recently got this printer and we like it. We are new to digital
cameras/printing, so we have some elementary questions:

Question: how will we know when one of the cartridges is empty? Will the
printer flash and indicate which cartridge? Will it indicate on the
computer?

Also, when replacing the cartridge, I see there are 2 black cartridges:
BCI-3EBK and BCI-6BK. What are the differences between the two. I assume if
one goes, we have to replace it with the same cartridge. Correct?

Finally, any thoughts on replacement brands. Should we use the far cheaper
compatibles or stay with the Canon brand?

MB
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:53:56 PM

MB_ wrote:
> We recently got this printer and we like it. We are new to digital
> cameras/printing, so we have some elementary questions:
>
> Question: how will we know when one of the cartridges is empty? Will the
> printer flash and indicate which cartridge? Will it indicate on the
> computer?
>
> Also, when replacing the cartridge, I see there are 2 black cartridges:
> BCI-3EBK and BCI-6BK. What are the differences between the two. I assume if
> one goes, we have to replace it with the same cartridge. Correct?
>
> Finally, any thoughts on replacement brands. Should we use the far cheaper
> compatibles or stay with the Canon brand?
>
> MB

The printer software tells you when the cartridge is getting low. It's
not too accurate but you can take out the cartridge and see just how
much ink is left since they are made of clear plastic.

We have four Canon printers in the house and they all have compatible
cartridges in them and we have no problems with clogging or print
quality. We also save a ton of money with the compatibles. In fact,
you can save enough money from using compatibles to buy a new printer
after going through just 3-4 sets of cartridges.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:44:56 PM

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> MB_ wrote:
>> We recently got this printer and we like it. We are new to digital
>> cameras/printing, so we have some elementary questions:
>>
>> Question: how will we know when one of the cartridges is empty? Will
>> the printer flash and indicate which cartridge? Will it indicate on
>> the computer?
>>
>> Also, when replacing the cartridge, I see there are 2 black
>> cartridges: BCI-3EBK and BCI-6BK. What are the differences between
>> the two. I assume if one goes, we have to replace it with the same
>> cartridge. Correct? Finally, any thoughts on replacement brands. Should
>> we use the far
>> cheaper compatibles or stay with the Canon brand?
>>
>> MB
>>

> The printer software tells you when the cartridge is getting low. It's not
> too accurate but you can take out the cartridge and see just
> how much ink is left since they are made of clear plastic.

Are we talking about same printer here...ip4000 doesn't tell when ink is
getting low, but when ink is OUT in first (clear) container. Then ink is
still present in a sponge, but it's out in first part.

> We have four Canon printers in the house and they all have compatible
> cartridges in them and we have no problems with clogging or print
> quality. We also save a ton of money with the compatibles. In fact,
> you can save enough money from using compatibles to buy a new printer
> after going through just 3-4 sets of cartridges.
February 5, 2005 8:44:57 PM

SleeperMan wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>>MB_ wrote:
>>
>>>We recently got this printer and we like it. We are new to digital
>>>cameras/printing, so we have some elementary questions:
>>>
>>>Question: how will we know when one of the cartridges is empty? Will
>>>the printer flash and indicate which cartridge? Will it indicate on
>>>the computer?
>>>
>>>Also, when replacing the cartridge, I see there are 2 black
>>>cartridges: BCI-3EBK and BCI-6BK. What are the differences between
>>>the two. I assume if one goes, we have to replace it with the same
>>>cartridge. Correct? Finally, any thoughts on replacement brands. Should
>>>we use the far
>>>cheaper compatibles or stay with the Canon brand?
>>>
>>>MB
>>>

>>The printer software tells you when the cartridge is getting low. It's not
>>too accurate but you can take out the cartridge and see just
>>how much ink is left since they are made of clear plastic.
>

> Are we talking about same printer here...ip4000 doesn't tell when ink is
> getting low, but when ink is OUT in first (clear) container. Then ink is
> still present in a sponge, but it's out in first part.

I assumed it was the same as the i series of printers. They will
indicate a 20% level before indicating completely empty.

>>We have four Canon printers in the house and they all have compatible
>>cartridges in them and we have no problems with clogging or print
>>quality. We also save a ton of money with the compatibles. In fact,
>>you can save enough money from using compatibles to buy a new printer
>>after going through just 3-4 sets of cartridges.

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:43:28 PM

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

>>> The printer software tells you when the cartridge is getting low.
>>> It's not too accurate but you can take out the cartridge and see
>>> just how much ink is left since they are made of clear plastic.
>>

>> Are we talking about same printer here...ip4000 doesn't tell when
>> ink is getting low, but when ink is OUT in first (clear) container.
>> Then ink is still present in a sponge, but it's out in first part.
>
> I assumed it was the same as the i series of printers. They will
> indicate a 20% level before indicating completely empty.

Hm...not my i550 it ain't. When exclamation mark showed, front container was
empty. In fact, (maybe i'm wrong) i don't see how printer would know that
20% is left, since it has sensor only at the bottom...
But, hey...maybe when front container is empty, there is still 20% of ink in
the sponge...?
i just looked to my carts and yellow is only appr 3-4mm left in front but
still no warning.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:43:29 PM

SleeperMan wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>>SleeperMan wrote:

>>>Are we talking about same printer here...ip4000 doesn't tell when
>>>ink is getting low, but when ink is OUT in first (clear) container.
>>>Then ink is still present in a sponge, but it's out in first part.
>>
>>I assumed it was the same as the i series of printers. They will
>>indicate a 20% level before indicating completely empty.
>>

> Hm...not my i550 it ain't. When exclamation mark showed, front container was
> empty. In fact, (maybe i'm wrong) i don't see how printer would know that
> 20% is left, since it has sensor only at the bottom...
> But, hey...maybe when front container is empty, there is still 20% of ink in
> the sponge...?
> i just looked to my carts and yellow is only appr 3-4mm left in front but
> still no warning.

On our i9100 and i960 the level indicators seem to move in about 20-25%
increments. On some carts it can go from showing full to around 20-25%
full in one jump though. It's obviously not the most accurate method
but since you can see exactly how much ink is left in the cartridge it
is close enough for our use. At least it beats the other brand printer
cartridges where you can't see the ink level at all.

Now the MP780 shows that the carts are near empty on the front panel
when a visual check shows them at almost full and the computer status
monitor shows them full. I'm not sure whats up with that.

The N2000 driver won't let me get the status through the printer status
monitor at ll. There appears to be a driver problem. It prints fine
though. It does not have clear cartridges but they are huge. I think
the color ones are 80ml and the black is 130ml. I haven't emptied one
of them yet. I can get the cartridge level status from the control
panel on the printer.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:47:43 AM

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

>>> I assumed it was the same as the i series of printers. They will
>>> indicate a 20% level before indicating completely empty.
>>>

>> Hm...not my i550 it ain't. When exclamation mark showed, front
>> container was empty. In fact, (maybe i'm wrong) i don't see how
>> printer would know that 20% is left, since it has sensor only at the
>> bottom... But, hey...maybe when front container is empty, there is still
>> 20%
>> of ink in the sponge...?
>> i just looked to my carts and yellow is only appr 3-4mm left in
>> front but still no warning.
>>

> On our i9100 and i960 the level indicators seem to move in about
> 20-25% increments. On some carts it can go from showing full to
> around 20-25% full in one jump though. It's obviously not the most
> accurate method but since you can see exactly how much ink is left in
> the cartridge it is close enough for our use. At least it beats the
> other brand printer cartridges where you can't see the ink level at
> all.
> Now the MP780 shows that the carts are near empty on the front panel
> when a visual check shows them at almost full and the computer status
> monitor shows them full. I'm not sure whats up with that.
>
> The N2000 driver won't let me get the status through the printer
> status monitor at ll. There appears to be a driver problem. It
> prints fine though. It does not have clear cartridges but they are
> huge. I think the color ones are 80ml and the black is 130ml. I
> haven't emptied one of them yet. I can get the cartridge level
> status from the control panel on the printer.

Aha...so it seems that best models did (or do) have some better method of
showing remaining ink. but, as i see on my ip4000, this is not the case.
Maybe at higher models, like ip8500...
February 6, 2005 1:47:44 AM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:47:43 +0100, "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:

>Aha...so it seems that best models did (or do) have some better method of
>showing remaining ink. but, as i see on my ip4000, this is not the case.
>Maybe at higher models, like ip8500...

goto the printer properties in the printers ad faxes folder .
click on maintenance then start the status monitor. it will show approx ink
levels there,
it does on my IP4000

nathan.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:18:37 PM

flynlr@somewhere.net wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:47:43 +0100, "SleeperMan"
> <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote:
>

>> Aha...so it seems that best models did (or do) have some better
>> method of showing remaining ink. but, as i see on my ip4000, this is
>> not the case. Maybe at higher models, like ip8500...
>>
> goto the printer properties in the printers ad faxes folder .
> click on maintenance then start the status monitor. it will show
> approx ink levels there,
> it does on my IP4000
>
> nathan.

nope...mine shows all 4 full
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:04:01 PM

My Pixma 4000 doesnt show any changes in ink levels either.

Its a problem i know at least 4 other owners have!

John
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:47:28 PM

thepominlaw wrote:
> My Pixma 4000 doesnt show any changes in ink levels either.
>
> Its a problem i know at least 4 other owners have!
>
> John

None of them shows any change in ink level. Only when first container is
empty, it shows low ink warning and after some time it shows out of ink
warning. That's it. It's so designed system.
!