Accessing RD using router as vpn server

Hi

We are using dratek 2600 ADSL router with our win xp pro network. The router
apparently can act as a vpn server
(http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup2.html). Does this mean that if
router is configured as a vpn server I can access remote desktop on any of
the win xp pro PCs using their local ip address (from 192.168.1.x range)? If
not what other configuration do I need to do?

Thanks

Regards
4 answers Last reply
More about accessing router server

    If you can successfully connect via VPN to the router, and get an IP address
    in the 192.168.1.x range, yes you should be able the to use Remote Desktop
    (or any other network mechanism based on TCP/IP to reach any of the other
    machines.

    I don't have any experience with this device, however, so I'm not sure what
    the complexities will be of getting that VPN connection going.

    "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > We are using dratek 2600 ADSL router with our win xp pro network. The
    > router
    > apparently can act as a vpn server
    > (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup2.html). Does this mean that if
    > router is configured as a vpn server I can access remote desktop on any of
    > the win xp pro PCs using their local ip address (from 192.168.1.x range)?
    > If
    > not what other configuration do I need to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    OK - now I've checked out your URL.

    I would recommend checking out the PPTP examples and seeing if you can get
    that going--this looks very possible. If that works to your satisfaction,
    you should then move to IPSEC/L2TP, if possible, for greater security.

    "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > We are using dratek 2600 ADSL router with our win xp pro network. The
    > router
    > apparently can act as a vpn server
    > (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup2.html). Does this mean that if
    > router is configured as a vpn server I can access remote desktop on any of
    > the win xp pro PCs using their local ip address (from 192.168.1.x range)?
    > If
    > not what other configuration do I need to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    Assuming I manage to get a vpn with router and able to access each pc using
    their private ip, how do access the remote desktop on each? Would my RD
    client know what to do?

    Thanks

    Regards

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > OK - now I've checked out your URL.
    >
    > I would recommend checking out the PPTP examples and seeing if you can get
    > that going--this looks very possible. If that works to your satisfaction,
    > you should then move to IPSEC/L2TP, if possible, for greater security.
    >
    > "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > We are using dratek 2600 ADSL router with our win xp pro network. The
    > > router
    > > apparently can act as a vpn server
    > > (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup2.html). Does this mean that
    if
    > > router is configured as a vpn server I can access remote desktop on any
    of
    > > the win xp pro PCs using their local ip address (from 192.168.1.x
    range)?
    > > If
    > > not what other configuration do I need to do?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Regards

    You use the private IP address of each PC as the name to connect to.

    If you find this unwieldy, use options, and save, to create a named .RDP
    file for each machine, and link to those to have icons to address each
    machine.

    > Assuming I manage to get a vpn with router and able to access each pc
    > using
    > their private ip, how do access the remote desktop on each? Would my RD
    > client know what to do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> OK - now I've checked out your URL.
    >>
    >> I would recommend checking out the PPTP examples and seeing if you can
    >> get
    >> that going--this looks very possible. If that works to your
    >> satisfaction,
    >> you should then move to IPSEC/L2TP, if possible, for greater security.
    >>
    >> "John" <john@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > We are using dratek 2600 ADSL router with our win xp pro network. The
    >> > router
    >> > apparently can act as a vpn server
    >> > (http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup2.html). Does this mean that
    > if
    >> > router is configured as a vpn server I can access remote desktop on any
    > of
    >> > the win xp pro PCs using their local ip address (from 192.168.1.x
    > range)?
    >> > If
    >> > not what other configuration do I need to do?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Regards

Routers vpn Windows XP