I'm trying to set up a home lan between two computers,
one is running on windows 98 and the other is running on
XP. I can get the XP computer to get files off of the 98
computer but when i turn on the 98 computer i am prompted
for a network password and then when it tries to
authenticate the password it says it cannot find a
domain server, any help would be useful. They are running
through a router that also supplies the internet
connection if that could have anything to do with it.
-Art

I guess Win98 machine is not able to validate the credentials you are
providing.

Are you providing the user credentials which are there on you Win98 machine?

--
- Manjari
"Art Stigile" <astigile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up a home lan between two computers,
> one is running on windows 98 and the other is running on
> XP. I can get the XP computer to get files off of the 98
> computer but when i turn on the 98 computer i am prompted
> for a network password and then when it tries to
> authenticate the password it says it cannot find a
> domain server, any help would be useful. They are running
> through a router that also supplies the internet
> connection if that could have anything to do with it.
> -Art

An take note that win xp is using an NTFS file system that win98 will not be able to read.

----- Manjari Bonam [MSFT] wrote: -----

I guess Win98 machine is not able to validate the credentials you are
providing.

Are you providing the user credentials which are there on you Win98 machine?

--
- Manjari
"Art Stigile" <astigile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up a home lan between two computers,
> one is running on windows 98 and the other is running on
> XP. I can get the XP computer to get files off of the 98
> computer but when i turn on the 98 computer i am prompted
> for a network password and then when it tries to
> authenticate the password it says it cannot find a
> domain server, any help would be useful. They are running
> through a router that also supplies the internet
> connection if that could have anything to do with it.
> -Art

Whether or not a drive is NTFS does not matter in networking other
than the fact you can apply user/group permissions to objects.
Network accesses take place using SMB.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:26:02 -0700, "Mart"