DVD pciture quality

DWF

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

I created a slide show on DVD using Vegas 4. It looks great on the
computer as an mpeg
using Windows media player.

When I play it on Tv the picure quality is no where near as good. I used
Roxio
DVD builder to create the DVD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

-dwf-

dwf wrote:
> I created a slide show on DVD using Vegas 4. It looks great on the
> computer as an mpeg
> using Windows media player.
>
> When I play it on Tv the picure quality is no where near as good. I
> used Roxio
> DVD builder to create the DVD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> -dwf-

I've done several of these and they've always looked excellent.
Did you use Vegas to create the MPEG-2 file? If so, what was the bit rate
used? Did you use "Best" mode for the render quality?

Mike

DWF

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

I used mpge-2 setting (NTSC DV) 720x480 29.970 fps
My rendering was set to Good - I changed it the Best.
I'll see if that fixes it.
Also, what are the properties -FIELD ORDER (mine is set to Lower)
and De-interlace (mine is set to NONE) used for and what is the
recommended
settings?

thanks for your help.

-dwf-

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> dwf wrote:
> > I created a slide show on DVD using Vegas 4. It looks great on the
> > computer as an mpeg
> > using Windows media player.
> >
> > When I play it on Tv the picure quality is no where near as good. I
> > used Roxio
> > DVD builder to create the DVD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > -dwf-
>
> I've done several of these and they've always looked excellent.
> Did you use Vegas to create the MPEG-2 file? If so, what was the bit rate
> used? Did you use "Best" mode for the render quality?
>
> Mike

Your properties settings are the defaults and they're fine.
You would only adjust them if you a reason for doing so and I never have so
I really can't answer that part of your question. The (10 MB pdf) manual
may go into more detail. It's freely available on the Sony site if you
don't already have it.

Two more things for you to try though.
Select "Reduce Interlace flicker" on all images. If you've got a lengthy
timeline, there is a script for this so that you don't have to do each image
individually.
I assume you rendered the MPEG-2 file from Vegas? Which template did you
use? If you selected "Default", that could be a part of your problem. The
"Default" setting lowers the bitrate substantially which results in lower
picture quality. If you're rendering video & audio together (I'm assuming
you don't have DVD Architect), I'd choose "DVD NTSC" in the template box as
the bitrate will increase quite a bit.
BTW, to see what the bitrate settings are, after you've selected a template,
go "Custom > Video". It'll be at the bottom of this tab. The
"Default"settings are 6 - 4 - 192 while the "DVD NTSC" are 8 - 6 - 192
(extra zeros purposely left off). As long as your video is less than 1 hr.,
you won't go over the size limit for a DVD.
HTH.

Mike

dwf wrote:
> I used mpge-2 setting (NTSC DV) 720x480 29.970 fps
> My rendering was set to Good - I changed it the Best.
> I'll see if that fixes it.
> Also, what are the properties -FIELD ORDER (mine is set to Lower)
> and De-interlace (mine is set to NONE) used for and what is the
> recommended
> settings?
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> -dwf-
>
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>>
>> dwf wrote:
>>> I created a slide show on DVD using Vegas 4. It looks great on the
>>> computer as an mpeg
>>> using Windows media player.
>>>
>>> When I play it on Tv the picure quality is no where near as good. I
>>> used Roxio
>>> DVD builder to create the DVD. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> -dwf-
>>
>> I've done several of these and they've always looked excellent.
>> Did you use Vegas to create the MPEG-2 file? If so, what was the
>> bit rate used? Did you use "Best" mode for the render quality?
>>
>> Mike

DWF

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

I use the DV NTSC template...I author with Roxio as I don't have DVD
architect.
What does the "reduce interlace flicker" do? and when would you Not want
use it?

My videos are less than 10min each so I don't have any issues with
higher bit rates.

-dwf-

dwf wrote:
> I use the DV NTSC template

That's fine. It's got the same high bit rate I use for my slide shows.

....I author with Roxio as I don't have DVD
> architect.

I don't use Roxio (RecordNow instead - and do the burn as a "data" file) so
I'm wondering if it's doing something strange to your mpeg-2 files.

> What does the "reduce interlace flicker" do?

From the manual:
"This switch can be useful in cases where the source material didn't
originate as video and contains extremely high spatial or temporal
frequencies. When you watch the rendered (interlace) output on video of
this sort of media, you may see flickering or crawlng edges if this switch
is not applied."

Technical jargon aside, what this means is that graphics or images (photos)
are a completely different media (from a technical point of view) than video
and, as such, need to be treated differently.

> and when would you Not
> want to
> use it?

I use it on any/all stills and graphics (i.e. text) in any project I do.

> My videos are less than 10min each so I don't have any issues with
> higher bit rates.

That's one less potential problem.

You originally said you created a "slide show". Was this done with images
from a digital camera or photos that were scanned in? In either case, what
was the original resolution of the images and did you make any changes?
What format are the images in? Are you doing any panning/cropping zooming
on the images? Are you using the "Match Aspect Ratio" option?

Mike

> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>>
>> Your properties settings are the defaults and they're fine.
>> You would only adjust them if you a reason for doing so and I never
>> have so I really can't answer that part of your question. The (10
>> MB pdf) manual may go into more detail. It's freely available on
>> the Sony site if you don't already have it.
>>
>> Two more things for you to try though.
>> Select "Reduce Interlace flicker" on all images. If you've got a
>> lengthy timeline, there is a script for this so that you don't have
>> to do each image individually.
>> I assume you rendered the MPEG-2 file from Vegas? Which template
>> did you use? If you selected "Default", that could be a part of
>> your problem. The "Default" setting lowers the bitrate
>> substantially which results in lower picture quality. If you're
>> rendering video & audio together (I'm assuming you don't have DVD
>> Architect), I'd choose "DVD NTSC" in the template box as the bitrate
>> will increase quite a bit.
>> BTW, to see what the bitrate settings are, after you've selected a
>> template, go "Custom > Video". It'll be at the bottom of this tab.
>> The "Default"settings are 6 - 4 - 192 while the "DVD NTSC" are 8 - 6
>> - 192 (extra zeros purposely left off). As long as your video is
>> less than 1 hr., you won't go over the size limit for a DVD.
>> HTH.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> dwf wrote:
>>> I used mpge-2 setting (NTSC DV) 720x480 29.970 fps
>>> My rendering was set to Good - I changed it the Best.
>>> I'll see if that fixes it.
>>> Also, what are the properties -FIELD ORDER (mine is set to Lower)
>>> and De-interlace (mine is set to NONE) used for and what is the
>>> recommended
>>> settings?
>>>
>>> thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> -dwf-

DWF

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

My images are shot with a digital camera. Then saved as .tif fiels.
I then crop them.... and some significant editing to some in photoshop.
res = 300. I then save them as .pgn file and load them into Vegas.
and I do use the "Match Asp Ratio." My vids are a combination
of stills and .avi files that I've created for intros,etc.

Changing the rendering to Best has improved the quality slight.
I'll try the ... reduce flicker as well and see how the final
output looks.

thanks for all your input!

-dwf-

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> [...]
> >> lengthy timeline, there is a script for this so that you don't have
> >> to do each image individually.
> >> I assume you rendered the MPEG-2 file from Vegas? Which template
> >> did you use? If you selected "Default", that could be a part of
> >> your problem. The "Default" setting lowers the bitrate
> >> substantially which results in lower picture quality. If you're
> >> rendering video & audio together (I'm assuming you don't have DVD
> >> Architect), I'd choose "DVD NTSC" in the template box as the bitrate
> >> will increase quite a bit.
> >> BTW, to see what the bitrate settings are, after you've selected a
> >> template, go "Custom > Video". It'll be at the bottom of this tab.
> >> The "Default"settings are 6 - 4 - 192 while the "DVD NTSC" are 8 - 6
> >> - 192 (extra zeros purposely left off). As long as your video is
> >> less than 1 hr., you won't go over the size limit for a DVD.

Good luck with it because, if this doesn't so the trick, I'm fresh out of
ideas and you'll have to go to one of the many Vegas forums for answers.
Several were mentioned in today's "Vegas 5 NG?" thread. Personally, I'd
recommend the Sony forum as it's the busiest.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS