Sony Vaio PCV-RX1 Power Supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 2, 2004 8:27:08 AM

Hi guys,

I've managed to spill water into the power supply of my Sony Vaio
PCV-RX1 desktop (I know, I know..) and was wondering if anyone knew
which make it was or how I could get a replacement? Any help would be
very much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2004 1:03:22 PM

"Fraggle" wrote ...
> I've managed to spill water into the power supply of my
> Sony Vaio PCV-RX1 desktop (I know, I know..) and was
> wondering if anyone knew which make it was or how I
> could get a replacement? Any help would be very much
> appreciated.

Can you remove it? Does it look like a commodity (standard)
PC power supply? Sony has a long history of using custom
and proprietary parts, so it wouldn't surprise me if you had to
acquire a replacement from Sony.

This probably isn't the right newsgroup for this question.
My news service (Supernews) has a newsgroup called...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2004 9:03:27 PM

> "Fraggle" wrote ...
>> I've managed to spill water into the power supply of my
>> Sony Vaio PCV-RX1 desktop (I know, I know..) and was
>> wondering if anyone knew which make it was or how I
>> could get a replacement? Any help would be very much
>> appreciated.
>
> Can you remove it? Does it look like a commodity (standard)
> PC power supply? Sony has a long history of using custom
> and proprietary parts, so it wouldn't surprise me if you had to
> acquire a replacement from Sony.
>
> This probably isn't the right newsgroup for this question.
> My news service (Supernews) has a newsgroup called...
Was it on when you poured the water into the power supply?
Did you turn it on after you poured the water into the power supply?

If the answer to these 2 questions is no,
then you might have a chance of saving the supply.

Water is not necessarily bad for electrical components.
However, turning equipment on with water still in it can be a big problem.

The trick is to get it dried out before you turn it on. I think you need to
dry
it quickly to reduce corrosion. Open it up and drain all of the water out
then
dry it in the sun, or with a hair dryer. Be careful with the hair dryer
though.
You don't want to overheat anything, or melt the plastic bits.

One time there was a fire in a nightclub while our sound system was in it.
The firemen hosed everything down and knocked all of the equipment onto
the floor which was covered in a foot or so of water. We brought the
equipment back and put it in the sun for a couple days. The stuff looked
like hell, and all of the plastic knobs and other plastic parts were badly
deformed from melting in the heat of the fire. After drying it out and
replacing the power cords, much of it still worked fine.

I've heard that you can even save a camera that has been dropped in a lake
by keeping it submerged until you can take it apart and dry it out. Success
is
less likely if you drop it into salt water. You still want to keep it
submerged
until you can take it all apart and flush out the salt water, then dry it.

David
Related resources
October 4, 2004 4:57:42 AM

Thanks guys. I waited a couple of hours before switching it back on
and heard a pop and knew that I had probably fried it. It doesn't
appear to be a standard power supply, there are no manufacturers
details on it and I doubt any other supply will sit properly in the
case. I guess my only hope it to go through Sony..sigh.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
October 4, 2004 4:37:03 PM

"Fraggle" <faisal_a21@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks guys. I waited a couple of hours before switching it back on
> and heard a pop and knew that I had probably fried it. It doesn't
> appear to be a standard power supply, there are no manufacturers
> details on it and I doubt any other supply will sit properly in the
> case. I guess my only hope it to go through Sony..sigh.

Do you have any used computer stores around?
They might be able to come up with a supply.

BTW, a couple hours isn't nearly long enough for equipment to dry out,
unless you are applying hot air. Even in the sun, I'd give it a full day or
more.
There could be places in there where water can get trapped.

David
!