Is USB 2.0 fast enough for capture/editing?

I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5) but
since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external drives are
usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust enough....
I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my slots are used up
on this particular box..
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Sincerely,
Dave Kowalski

"Dave Kowalski" wrote ...
> I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5) but
> since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external drives are
> usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust enough....
> I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my slots are used up
> on this particular box..

Not clear if you are asking about capturing from the video source
(VCR, camcorder, etc.) to your second computer via USB2, or
whether you are asking about using USB2 for external drives with
video content.

The limiting factor for capture would appear to be whether the
source actually transfers DV via USB2. It would appear that you
could count the number of video devices that do this on the fingers
of one hand.

Yes. A HIGH speed USB 2.0 connection should provide more than enough
badnwidth to cover the DV data rate. However, I have heard of many folks
using that connection for capture drives so you may have dirfferent results.
USB2.0 Spec is 480 Mbit/sec. Dv is 25.
"Dave Kowalski" <daveski@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5) but
> since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external drives are
> usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust enough....
> I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my slots are used up
> on this particular box..
> Thanks for any advice in advance.
> Sincerely,
> Dave Kowalski

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:58:13 GMT, "Dave Kowalski"
<daveski@optonline.net> wrote:

>I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5) but
>since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external drives are
>usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust enough....
> I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my slots are used up
>on this particular box..
> Thanks for any advice in advance.
> Sincerely,
> Dave Kowalski

The best test is to try it and see. Not sure about Premiere but even
a medium product like Pinnacle Studio will run a test on the hard
drive to test it for capture. The speed of the external should be 7200
not a 5400. I have captured with a Firewire external 7200 western
digital and it worked like a charm. The best test is to actually do
the capture. Sometimes you can purchase a combo card that has usb
2.0 and firewire combined if you are using a slot for usb in your
present system.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:58:13 GMT, "Dave Kowalski"
<daveski@optonline.net> wrote:

>I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5) but
>since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external drives are
>usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust enough....
> I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my slots are used up
>on this particular box..

USB2 has sufficient bandwidth for DV. But I doubt you own a DV
camera that uses USB for video output.

Dave Kowalski wrote:
> I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5)
> but since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external
> drives are usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust
> enough.... I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my
> slots are used up on this particular box..
> Thanks for any advice in advance.
> Sincerely,
> Dave Kowalski

I have a SB Audigy sound card that has a firewire port built in. If you are
not using an onboard sound card and wanted to replace the PCI sound card you
are using this would be one more option.

Cliff

"a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Yes. A HIGH speed USB 2.0 connection should provide more than enough
> badnwidth to cover the DV data rate. However, I have heard of many folks
> using that connection for capture drives so you may have dirfferent
> results. USB2.0 Spec is 480 Mbit/sec. Dv is 25.

Correction:

I have NOT heard of many folks using USB2 for their capture drives. I am
developing a USB2.0 device now and isochronous transfers under USB 2.0
should be well withing the speed necessary for DV Data rate.

type too fast..

nappy

> "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Yes. A HIGH speed USB 2.0 connection should provide more than enough
>> badnwidth to cover the DV data rate. However, I have heard of many folks
>> using that connection for capture drives so you may have dirfferent
>> results. USB2.0 Spec is 480 Mbit/sec. Dv is 25.
>
> Correction:
>
> I have NOT heard of many folks using USB2 for their capture drives. I
> am developing a USB2.0 device now and isochronous transfers under USB 2.0
> should be well withing the speed necessary for DV Data rate.
>
> type too fast..
>
> nappy

I just captured 3 hours of DV via 1394 to a laptop, and spooled it to an
external USB-2 hard-drive. It worked fine with no dropped frames.

My guess is that it is a better approach than daisy-chaining the DV camera
through a 1394 external drive, and the internal drive on this machine is too
small, and too slow, to be of much use for capturing.

David

"david.mccall" <david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes. A HIGH speed USB 2.0 connection should provide more than enough
>>> badnwidth to cover the DV data rate. However, I have heard of many folks
>>> using that connection for capture drives so you may have dirfferent
>>> results. USB2.0 Spec is 480 Mbit/sec. Dv is 25.
>>
>> Correction:
>>
>> I have NOT heard of many folks using USB2 for their capture drives. I
>> am developing a USB2.0 device now and isochronous transfers under USB 2.0
>> should be well withing the speed necessary for DV Data rate.
>>
>> type too fast..
>>
>> nappy
>>
> I just captured 3 hours of DV via 1394 to a laptop, and spooled it to an
> external USB-2 hard-drive. It worked fine with no dropped frames.
>
> My guess is that it is a better approach than daisy-chaining the DV camera
> through a 1394 external drive, and the internal drive on this machine is
> too
> small, and too slow, to be of much use for capturing.
>
> David

did you capture to the USB drive? By spooling do you mean you captured
directly to the USB drive from the laptop? Should work..

> did you capture to the USB drive? By spooling do you mean you captured
> directly to the USB drive from the laptop? Should work..

Yep, it came in the 1394, and went directly to the USB drive.

David

That's exactly what I did, and it was more than fast enough- I dumped 30
minutes of DV into premiere to the USB external, and tried to get it to drop
frames by simultaneously doing as many taxing tasks as possible. I'm
convinced.

> "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> did you capture to the USB drive? By spooling do you mean you captured
>> directly to the USB drive from the laptop? Should work..
>>
> Yep, it came in the 1394, and went directly to the USB drive.
>
> David

That's exactly what I did, and it was more than fast enough- I dumped 30
minutes of DV into premiere to the USB external, and tried to get it to drop
frames by simultaneously doing as many taxing tasks as possible. I'm
convinced.

"david.mccall" <david.mccallUNDERLINE@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> did you capture to the USB drive? By spooling do you mean you captured
>> directly to the USB drive from the laptop? Should work..
>>
> Yep, it came in the 1394, and went directly to the USB drive.
>
> David

rs

Or just buy a general firewirecard for about $30. If your system is solid
with your current sound card, why take the chance and introduce a new card
that might upset some delicate balance.

I just read the explanation about why you can't tr
"Cliff" <Cliff-f@NOSPAMxemaps.com> wrote in message

> Dave Kowalski wrote:
> > I've been using firewire on my PC for capturing DV (Premiere pro 1.5)
> > but since I have another computer with USB 2.0, and my external
> > drives are usb/1394 combo, I was wondering if USB 2 is robust
> > enough.... I know, I can go and get a firewire PCI card, but all my
> > slots are used up on this particular box..
> > Thanks for any advice in advance.
> > Sincerely,
> > Dave Kowalski
>
> I have a SB Audigy sound card that has a firewire port built in. If you
are
> not using an onboard sound card and wanted to replace the PCI sound card
you
> are using this would be one more option.
>
> Cliff

I highly agree.
As far as I know:
- USB 2.0 is fast enough to transfer DV
- there is apparently no camcorder on a market which is capable sent DV
through USB 2.0. Just stills and "small" video (reduced resolution).
This is the limitation.

Roman

RS wrote:
> Or just buy a general firewirecard for about $30. If your system is
> solid with your current sound card, why take the chance and introduce
> a new card that might upset some delicate balance.

I was pointing out only an option as the OP said he had no more PCI slots.

I should have been more specific.

I currently capture to a dedicated internal ide drive , 160 gig on my main
computer.
Using Premiere Pro, there is a problem using more than one firewire port ,
so it is my capture port.

On the other computer, however, I have a single internal system drive which
I would not capture to for many reasons.
I figured if a USB2 was fast enough to capture DV to, from firewire , I'd
use that box as a dedicated capture/render machine.

Since my original post, I've run tests and I am able to do this with no
problems at all. It looks like whatever the advantages or disadvantages of
USB as compared to Firewire, it is still WAY above the bandwidth threshold
needed to capture DV.

Thanks for all the replies, they were extremely helpful and insightful.

Regards,
Dave Kowalski
Bennett Studios
www.bennettstudios.com