Can you remotely boot a computer?

You can do a <Ctrl><Alt><End> and bring up the remote Task Manager. Then select the "Shutdown" menu
at the top of the Task Manager window and select the desired action. You can also use the "tsshutdn"
or "shutdown" commands from the command line. Open "Help and Support" and search on each for the
proper syntax.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to remotely boot a computer, using Windows
> XP Professional - Remote Deskcopy Connection?

---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks. But when I reboot the office computer from home,
the office computer is no longer accessible, apparently
waiting for me to logon to the initial screen before
Windows starts, and before remote desktop starts. Any
suggestions?

Thanks again.

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Is there a way to remotely boot a computer, using
Windows
>> XP Professional - Remote Deskcopy Connection?
>>

>---
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
5/31/2004

>.

You may be able to troubleshoot this by working within the office LAN, if
possible.

In the offices I work with, where workstations are joined to a domain, and
the Internet connection is always on--provided by a router or ISA Server
2000--I can reboot any workstation, or power (most of) them on remotely.

Remote Desktop is a service and is active before logon.

The Internet connection, if credentials are saved for a specific user,
rather than all users, may not be active, however. Say more about how the
office machines connect to the Internet and whether there's a domain or
simply a workgroup involved?

> Thanks. But when I reboot the office computer from home,
> the office computer is no longer accessible, apparently
> waiting for me to logon to the initial screen before
> Windows starts, and before remote desktop starts. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks again.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

We VPN from home to the office router. Each computer at
the office is networked to the router, with a fixed IP
number for each computer. I don't think it's a domain but
a workgroup over a LAN. Does this answer your question?
(I'm not a techie)Thanks

and
>> confers no rights...
>>>
>>>"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> Windows
>>>>

>>>---
>>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
>> (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> 5/31/2004
>>>
>>>.
>>>

>.

"Make sure the "Terminal Services" service is set to "automatic". The default is "manual", so after a reboot Terminal Services won't start (ie- won't accept RDP connections) until one logon / logoff cycle is done at the keyboard.