Can you remotely boot a computer?

Is there a way to remotely boot a computer, using Windows
XP Professional - Remote Deskcopy Connection?
5 answers Last reply
More about remotely boot computer

    You can do a <Ctrl><Alt><End> and bring up the remote Task Manager. Then select the "Shutdown" menu
    at the top of the Task Manager window and select the desired action. You can also use the "tsshutdn"
    or "shutdown" commands from the command line. Open "Help and Support" and search on each for the
    proper syntax.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to remotely boot a computer, using Windows
    > XP Professional - Remote Deskcopy Connection?

    ---

    Thanks. But when I reboot the office computer from home,
    the office computer is no longer accessible, apparently
    waiting for me to logon to the initial screen before
    Windows starts, and before remote desktop starts. Any
    suggestions?

    Thanks again.

    group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Is there a way to remotely boot a computer, using
    Windows
    >> XP Professional - Remote Deskcopy Connection?
    >>

    >---
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    5/31/2004

    >.

    You may be able to troubleshoot this by working within the office LAN, if
    possible.

    In the offices I work with, where workstations are joined to a domain, and
    the Internet connection is always on--provided by a router or ISA Server
    2000--I can reboot any workstation, or power (most of) them on remotely.

    Remote Desktop is a service and is active before logon.

    The Internet connection, if credentials are saved for a specific user,
    rather than all users, may not be active, however. Say more about how the
    office machines connect to the Internet and whether there's a domain or
    simply a workgroup involved?

    > Thanks. But when I reboot the office computer from home,
    > the office computer is no longer accessible, apparently
    > waiting for me to logon to the initial screen before
    > Windows starts, and before remote desktop starts. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    We VPN from home to the office router. Each computer at
    the office is networked to the router, with a fixed IP
    number for each computer. I don't think it's a domain but
    a workgroup over a LAN. Does this answer your question?
    (I'm not a techie)Thanks

    and
    >> confers no rights...
    >>>
    >>>"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> Windows
    >>>>

    >>>---
    >>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    >> (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >> 5/31/2004
    >>>
    >>>.
    >>>

    >.

    "Make sure the "Terminal Services" service is set to "automatic". The default is "manual", so after a reboot Terminal Services won't start (ie- won't accept RDP connections) until one logon / logoff cycle is done at the keyboard.

Connection Computers Boot Microsoft Windows XP