Firewire Live Capture

Andre

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Hello,

I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC101 as a capture device on my laptop.
The camera can directly convert the analog input and stream it to the
firewire port.
The only tool that I have found that can handle the stream is DVIO. All
other capture programs can only capture from tape (you have to set in
and out points). I have not found any other tool that can do live capture.
The problem with DVIO is, that it can only stream DV data. So recording
a TV show results in hughe amounts of data. I would like to be able to
use a tool that can do some compression (e.g. XviD, DviX) on the fly.
Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks
Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

rs

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I have used Scenealyzer with success to stream tapes through my camcorder to
capture in AVI format. I believe you can even try before you buy.

"andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC101 as a capture device on my laptop.
> The camera can directly convert the analog input and stream it to the
> firewire port.
> The only tool that I have found that can handle the stream is DVIO. All
> other capture programs can only capture from tape (you have to set in
> and out points). I have not found any other tool that can do live capture.
> The problem with DVIO is, that it can only stream DV data. So recording
> a TV show results in hughe amounts of data. I would like to be able to
> use a tool that can do some compression (e.g. XviD, DviX) on the fly.
> Any suggestions are highly welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Andre
>

> --
> ----------------------------------
> http://www.aguntherphotography.com

rs

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Oops, sorry, didn't see your requirement for compression.

I do believe you are going to need a hardware solution for that, otherwise
you'll just have to live with the 13gigs per hour.

"andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC101 as a capture device on my laptop.
> The camera can directly convert the analog input and stream it to the
> firewire port.
> The only tool that I have found that can handle the stream is DVIO. All
> other capture programs can only capture from tape (you have to set in
> and out points). I have not found any other tool that can do live capture.
> The problem with DVIO is, that it can only stream DV data. So recording
> a TV show results in hughe amounts of data. I would like to be able to
> use a tool that can do some compression (e.g. XviD, DviX) on the fly.
> Any suggestions are highly welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Andre
>

> --
> ----------------------------------
> http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Andre

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Thanks for the answer. Since DVIO is free and there seems to be no
alternative (maybe I should check the latest VirtualDUB) it seems I have
to stick to this program. Makes me wonder though. There are virtually
hundreds of capture programs and none of them can stream without turning
the tape on.
I do have a hardware MPEG2 card in my desktop but I needed a solution
for my bedroom TV receiver as well (for Pay per View).

Andre
> Oops, sorry, didn't see your requirement for compression.
>
> I do believe you are going to need a hardware solution for that, otherwise
> you'll just have to live with the 13gigs per hour.
>

> "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC101 as a capture device on my laptop.
>>The camera can directly convert the analog input and stream it to the
>>firewire port.
>>The only tool that I have found that can handle the stream is DVIO. All
>>other capture programs can only capture from tape (you have to set in
>>and out points). I have not found any other tool that can do live capture.
>>The problem with DVIO is, that it can only stream DV data. So recording
>>a TV show results in hughe amounts of data. I would like to be able to
>>use a tool that can do some compression (e.g. XviD, DviX) on the fly.
>>Any suggestions are highly welcome.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Andre
>>

>>--
>>----------------------------------
>>http://www.aguntherphotography.com

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

aa

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

I use Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 and I am able to stream live DV directly to
disk bypassing the tape. I use this with my Sony camcorder passthru mode
to record live TV directly to harddisk in DV format.

I think you can set the codec and compression but I'm not sure, I've never
tried it.

"andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use my Sony DCR-PC101 as a capture device on my laptop.
> The camera can directly convert the analog input and stream it to the
> firewire port.
> The only tool that I have found that can handle the stream is DVIO. All
> other capture programs can only capture from tape (you have to set in
> and out points). I have not found any other tool that can do live capture.
> The problem with DVIO is, that it can only stream DV data. So recording
> a TV show results in hughe amounts of data. I would like to be able to
> use a tool that can do some compression (e.g. XviD, DviX) on the fly.
> Any suggestions are highly welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Andre
>

> --
> http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Andre

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production (More info?)

Nice. Do they have a demo version for download?