I have one XP machine behind a router and a Cisco Pix
firewall and the other behind a router and watchguard
firewall.

I can log into the router w/the cisco pix firewall and
want to connect to the machine behind it.

Are there a step by step instructions on how to set up
and log in to the remote desktop?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug wrote:
> I have one XP machine behind a router and a Cisco Pix
> firewall and the other behind a router and watchguard
> firewall.
>
> I can log into the router w/the cisco pix firewall and
> want to connect to the machine behind it.
>
> Are there a step by step instructions on how to set up
> and log in to the remote desktop?

Likely.. Maybe not for your specific case, however.
Might do a Google search for "router and remote desktop"

Essentially the router handing out your IP must forward the port request to
the computer in question. I suppose you are connecting to the PIX by
VPN/PPTP?

--
<- Shenan ->

I can handle the router and Cisco issue.

I just need to know how the basic setup works to connect
the two computers.

of
>completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
warranties of any
>kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
before you take any
>advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
actions.

>.

Make sure TCP Port 3389 if forwarded/opened to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to connect
to both on the router and firewall at the Cisco end. Call using the public IP of your ISP at that
end... Also, TCP Port 3389 should not be blocked outbound at the other end.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remotedesktop.asp
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can handle the router and Cisco issue.
>
> I just need to know how the basic setup works to connect
> the two computers.

---