how to prevent users from using remote desktop to connect ..

Hi,

Know of a way to prevent users from using the mstsc.exe to
connect to their home PCs from work?

Block outbound TCP port 3389 in your firewall.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> Block outbound TCP port 3389 in your firewall.

That will work only so long as they do not know how to change the port on
their home machines.

You could add it to the "do not allow to run" list in group policy, but they
could still run it from command line.

I guess you could add it via the HASH instead of by name as well..

Truthfully, if your people are smart, they can get around just about
anything you do to get to their home machine (which you don't control.)

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Sinassah wrote:
>> Know of a way to prevent users from using the mstsc.exe to
>> connect to their home PCs from work?
>
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> Block outbound TCP port 3389 in your firewall.
>
> That will work only so long as they do not know how to change the
> port on their home machines.

Then allow only outbound 80 and 443? ;-)

> You could add it to the "do not allow to run" list in group policy,
> but they could still run it from command line.
>
> I guess you could add it via the HASH instead of by name as well..
>
> Truthfully, if your people are smart, they can get around just about
> anything you do to get to their home machine (which you don't
> control.)

Proxy server/ISA would prevent this too, IIRC....

> --
> <- Shenan ->

Don't open any ports outbound in the firewall that aren't required. Proxy
web requests on port 80.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Sinassah wrote:
>> Know of a way to prevent users from using the mstsc.exe to
>> connect to their home PCs from work?
>
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> Block outbound TCP port 3389 in your firewall.
>
> That will work only so long as they do not know how to change the port on
> their home machines.
>
> You could add it to the "do not allow to run" list in group policy, but
> they
> could still run it from command line.
>
> I guess you could add it via the HASH instead of by name as well..
>
> Truthfully, if your people are smart, they can get around just about
> anything you do to get to their home machine (which you don't control.)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

You can still tunnel... There is the HTTP-Tunnel service...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:07:43 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

>Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Sinassah wrote:
>>> Know of a way to prevent users from using the mstsc.exe to
>>> connect to their home PCs from work?
>>
>> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>>> Block outbound TCP port 3389 in your firewall.
>>
>> That will work only so long as they do not know how to change the
>> port on their home machines.
>
>Then allow only outbound 80 and 443? ;-)
>
>> You could add it to the "do not allow to run" list in group policy,
>> but they could still run it from command line.
>>
>> I guess you could add it via the HASH instead of by name as well..
>>
>> Truthfully, if your people are smart, they can get around just about
>> anything you do to get to their home machine (which you don't
>> control.)
>
>Proxy server/ISA would prevent this too, IIRC....
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->

<argle>