Unable to Log on

firefly

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
I just installed Win 2k Server and I am unable to log on.
My system is AMD K6-3 400mz, 256 RAM, ASUS P5A-B Super 7 MB, 13G HD. I used Partition Magic to partition my HD, one partition has Win ME upgrade. The other partiton is NTFS & is 3.2G. I installed Win 2K Server using the 4 boot disk that I made from the CDROM. When I start it up I get to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Family, the screen with the start up bar that slowly crawls across the screen, after it completes this process, instead ot taking me to the log on screen the screen goes blank and the computer goes dead, nothing works, not CTL-ALT-DLT, I have to restart the computer. I can use the F8 key to start up in safe mode and it will go to the Log In Screen and to the desktop and the programs seems to work in this mode.
I have reformatted the partition and reinstalled Server 2k around 4-5 times with the same results.
I am installing this on my home computer.
Can someone give me some advice

G

When you log into save mode check the device manager. What VGA driver is it using? Also check you display properties. I've had this problem before, for some reason my display resolution was set higher then my monitor could support. Make sure its at 640X480. And make your colors are set to 256 colors (or less).

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

firefly

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
Hi Kremer:
I checked the device manager and the driver was a Viper 550 I then changed it to the NVidia TNT. I also changed my display resolution to 640X480 & colors to 256. But I am still experiencing the same problem, not being able to get to the log on screen unless I do it through safe mode?????
Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks