Rumor: LG to Show Atom-Based Android Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmax9000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
These people need to work on improving battery life! My Galaxy Nexus barely lasts 6 hours on the extended battery with moderate usage ie: web searches, and texting.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]gmax9000[/nom]These people need to work on improving battery life! My Galaxy Nexus barely lasts 6 hours on the extended battery with moderate usage ie: web searches, and texting.[/citation]
This processor is low-powered. I'll admit I don't know how much power is consumes vs existing Smart Phone CPUs, but I'm actually excited to see what this chip can do for battery life.

gmax9000

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
This is a low power CPU for a laptop! We all know how powerful these phones can be. The manufacturers are in a CPU power race. .

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gmax9000[/nom]These people need to work on improving battery life! My Galaxy Nexus barely lasts 6 hours on the extended battery with moderate usage ie: web searches, and texting.[/citation]
Web browsing and texing for a total 6hours is pretty alright, especially if you have the screen at max brightness and mainly viewing white pages.

My SGS2 holds about 3hours of constant "proper" HD gaming. For average usage I should be able to get through a day no problem.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
But.. I Kal-el is only 20% slower than a core 2 duo T7200.
Compare that with Atom for a second.. See where I'm getting at?

I'm sure that it will still be powerful, but I'm pretty sure Kal el will still be faster.
Benchmark results (if the link even shows)
http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Nvidia-s-Kal-El-Quad-Core-ARM-Chip-Is-Actually-Slower-Than-Intel-s-Core-2-Duo-T7200-5.png/

oafed

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]But what about app compatibility?[/citation]

Anything using just the SDK should be fine. If they used the NDK (native development kit) and didn't cross compile for x86 then those apps won't work until they do and release an update.

G

Intel needs to give up on HP and Dell in mobile and start working with Motorola and HTC. Nobody who makes Windows laptops is going to put an Intel Android tablet, and an Intel Windows tablet won't sell: we know that 17 years now.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Wonder if AMD's going to announce something soon about coming up with a new Tablet Cpu or even something that goes inside a smart phone. Last I checked AMD was pushing Android onto the x86 platform as well as having a Tablet apu based off of bobcat from earlier this year. Would be cool because Bobcat trounces Intel Atom.

araceltig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I believe Android is incompatible with x86 and all the apps maker would have to make 2Versions of those Apps. No Android apps for x86 will be dead on arrival. Enough time and manpower to support ARM and Intel? I don´t think so!

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]symbolset[/nom]Intel needs to give up on HP and Dell in mobile and start working with Motorola and HTC. Nobody who makes Windows laptops is going to put an Intel Android tablet, and an Intel Windows tablet won't sell: we know that 17 years now.[/citation]
You're totally right. Consumers don't really care about running MS Office natively, Flash Player or even HD video. All they like is hype and cool new things.

G

Android uses a VM. You don't rewrite apps for a new platform. You rewrite android.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Active power battery life is the big question. Medfield is 32nm, not the latest lower power 22nm stuff coming out from Intel soon. They may perform really well but still flop if the battery drain is not good

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"...but with huge subsidies from Intel for promotion." Isn't Intel doing the same thing for the Ultrabook form factors they're trying to get manufacturers to produce? So Intel's new tactic is to bribe manufacturers to use their products?

Status
Not open for further replies.