VOB files

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2004 11:28:17 PM

Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
can't find a way to do it.

Jeanne

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

More about : vob files

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:28:18 PM

"bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
> have
> a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
> 5,
> Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
> can't find a way to do it.
>
> Jeanne
>
> "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Are they in a folder named "VIDEO_TS" ? If not make
one and move them there. You also need the .ifo files
that go with the .vob files, at least the "VIDEO_TS.ifo"
and the .ifo file numbered the same as the .vob you want
to "convert".

If you used DVDShrink or some other ripper, these
files and some backup files should be in the folder your
DVD was ripped to. If you are just copying off an
unencrypted DVD, copy those .ifo files also.

Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
"convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files. If
you had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.

Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 11:28:18 PM

Just rename the .vob extension to .mpg and you will have an mpeg file that
can be read by most video editing software that handles the mpeg format.

"bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
have
> a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
5,
> Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
> can't find a way to do it.
>
> Jeanne
>
> "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

October 5, 2004 1:48:01 AM

Thanks for your prompt answer. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work
but there are some other ideas posted in the newsgroup that I will follow
up.

Jeanne

"PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
> Just rename the .vob extension to .mpg and you will have an mpeg file that
> can be read by most video editing software that handles the mpeg format.
>
> "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
> have
> > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
> 5,
> > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer
and
> > can't find a way to do it.
> >
> > Jeanne
> >
> > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:53:33 AM

Yes, I have all of the files that you mention and they are in a folder named
"VIDEO_TS." I don't have TMPGEnc DVD Author although I've read that it's a
very good program. I had the original free TMPGEnc when it was free. I'll
try the other posted suggestion first. I even thought of playing the DVD
and recording the part I need onto my MiniDV camcorder. Thanks for your
help.

Jeanne

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
> > have
> > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
> > 5,
> > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer
and
> > can't find a way to do it.
> >
> > Jeanne
> >
> > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell
> >

> Are they in a folder named "VIDEO_TS" ? If not make
> one and move them there. You also need the .ifo files
> that go with the .vob files, at least the "VIDEO_TS.ifo"
> and the .ifo file numbered the same as the .vob you want
> to "convert".
>
> If you used DVDShrink or some other ripper, these
> files and some backup files should be in the folder your
> DVD was ripped to. If you are just copying off an
> unencrypted DVD, copy those .ifo files also.
>
> Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
> "convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files.
If
> you had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
> would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.
>
> Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:53:34 AM

> Yes, I have all of the files that you mention and they are in a folder
> named
> "VIDEO_TS." I don't have TMPGEnc DVD Author although I've read that it's
> very good program. I had the original free TMPGEnc when it was free.
> I'll
> try the other posted suggestion first. I even thought of playing the DVD
> and recording the part I need onto my MiniDV camcorder. Thanks for your
> help.
>
> Jeanne

They www.pegasys-inc.com have a 30day free trial, you can
download.

Ken
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 3:41:51 AM

bjeanneb wrote:
> Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>?
> I have a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode.
> It's not illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost
> the original footage. I have searched all of the video software that
> I have -- Vegas 5, Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual
> Dub and Scenalyzer and can't find a way to do it.
>
> Jeanne
>
> "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

You CAN use Vegas 5 to do this. I just tried it with a file from a
commercial DVD. The vob goes right up on the timeline. Assuming AC3 audio,
I use a tool called AC3Dec from www.ac3dec.com to extract and convert that
same vob file to a 44.1 wav file. Works for me.

Mike
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 6:31:38 AM

You could try turning it into a "fake" .avi that can be used just like
a regular .avi.

To do this, open the .VOB into a program called DGMPGDec. Then go to
File--->Save Project. This should leave you with a .m2v file and the
demuxed audio file (.ac3 or .wav). Now start a program called VFAPI.
Open your project file (.m2v) and select convert. It will make a .avi
file.

Dont mess with the .VOB file as the new .avi file is actually reading
the original vob and converting it on the fly. Just load the .avi and
audio file, mux, and process however you wish.

Both DGMPGDec and VFAPI can both be downloaded for free from
www.doom9.org

Or

You could just rename the .vob to .mpg. A .VOB is just a mpeg2 file.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:28:17 GMT, "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

>Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
>a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
>illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
>footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
>Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
>can't find a way to do it.
>
>Jeanne
>
>"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:53:55 AM

> You CAN use Vegas 5 to do this. I just tried it with a file from a
> commercial DVD. The vob goes right up on the timeline. Assuming AC3
audio,
> I use a tool called AC3Dec from www.ac3dec.com to extract and convert that
> same vob file to a 44.1 wav file. Works for me.
>
>Mike

Yes, Vegas 5 did accept the <.vob> file but it didn't play properly. It
played only the first part of the file and quit. Then when I placed my
cursor on various places on the timeline, I could see that all of the file
was there but the last half was just was not playing.

As I said in another post, I did get the problem solved. Thanks for
answering.

Jeanne
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:21:09 AM

wrote:

>Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
>a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
>illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
>footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
>Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
>can't find a way to do it.
>
>Jeanne
>
>"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Yes, it can be done. A .vob file is a so-called multiplexed file,
which means that it can de-multiplexed into parts. A quite good
program to do it with is TMPGEnc (MPEG-Tools under menu option: file)
from www.pegasys-inc.com It is freeware for the part you need.

Translation to .avi of the mpeg from the .vob can be done with
VirtualDub's special mpeg-2 version.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:21:10 AM

Thanks for your prompt answer. I'll try your suggestion.

Jeanne

"Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:28:17 GMT, "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
have
> >a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> >illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> >footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
5,
> >Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
> >can't find a way to do it.
> >
> >Jeanne
> >
> >"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell
> >

> Yes, it can be done. A .vob file is a so-called multiplexed file,
> which means that it can de-multiplexed into parts. A quite good
> program to do it with is TMPGEnc (MPEG-Tools under menu option: file)
> from www.pegasys-inc.com It is freeware for the part you need.
>
> Translation to .avi of the mpeg from the .vob can be done with
> VirtualDub's special mpeg-2 version.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:54:29 PM

Flaskmpeg is a free open source converter from many formats including
VOB to AVI. Google it.
Tom

bjeanneb wrote:
> Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
> a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
> illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
> footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
> Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
> can't find a way to do it.
>
> Jeanne
>
> "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 8:34:11 PM

Thanks, Tom. I have solved the problem for my present problem but will look
into Flaskmpeg for the future. Anything free is certainly worth a look,
right?

Jeanne

!