VOB files

Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
can't find a way to do it.

Jeanne

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell
12 answers Last reply
More about files

    "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
    > have
    > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
    > 5,
    > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    > can't find a way to do it.
    >
    > Jeanne
    >
    > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    Are they in a folder named "VIDEO_TS" ? If not make
    one and move them there. You also need the .ifo files
    that go with the .vob files, at least the "VIDEO_TS.ifo"
    and the .ifo file numbered the same as the .vob you want
    to "convert".

    If you used DVDShrink or some other ripper, these
    files and some backup files should be in the folder your
    DVD was ripped to. If you are just copying off an
    unencrypted DVD, copy those .ifo files also.

    Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author's "Add DVD video" button to
    "convert" the .vob files into a sequentially listed series of .mpg files. If
    you had checked the "Reading chapter information" box then each chapter
    would be a .mpg. Then you can do as you wish with the MPEGs.

    Of course, if the DVD isn't encrypted you don't need to use a ripper.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Just rename the .vob extension to .mpg and you will have an mpeg file that
    can be read by most video editing software that handles the mpeg format.

    "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
    have
    > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
    5,
    > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    > can't find a way to do it.
    >
    > Jeanne
    >
    > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    Thanks for your prompt answer. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work
    but there are some other ideas posted in the newsgroup that I will follow
    up.

    Jeanne

    "PTravel" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
    > Just rename the .vob extension to .mpg and you will have an mpeg file that
    > can be read by most video editing software that handles the mpeg format.
    >
    > "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
    > have
    > > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
    > 5,
    > > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer
    and
    > > can't find a way to do it.
    > >
    > > Jeanne
    > >
    > > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    Yes, I have all of the files that you mention and they are in a folder named
    "VIDEO_TS." I don't have TMPGEnc DVD Author although I've read that it's a
    very good program. I had the original free TMPGEnc when it was free. I'll
    try the other posted suggestion first. I even thought of playing the DVD
    and recording the part I need onto my MiniDV camcorder. Thanks for your
    help.

    Jeanne

    > Yes, I have all of the files that you mention and they are in a folder
    > named
    > "VIDEO_TS." I don't have TMPGEnc DVD Author although I've read that it's
    > very good program. I had the original free TMPGEnc when it was free.
    > I'll
    > try the other posted suggestion first. I even thought of playing the DVD
    > and recording the part I need onto my MiniDV camcorder. Thanks for your
    > help.
    >
    > Jeanne

    They www.pegasys-inc.com have a 30day free trial, you can
    download.

    Ken

    bjeanneb wrote:
    > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>?
    > I have a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode.
    > It's not illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost
    > the original footage. I have searched all of the video software that
    > I have -- Vegas 5, Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual
    > Dub and Scenalyzer and can't find a way to do it.
    >
    > Jeanne
    >
    > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    You CAN use Vegas 5 to do this. I just tried it with a file from a
    commercial DVD. The vob goes right up on the timeline. Assuming AC3 audio,
    I use a tool called AC3Dec from www.ac3dec.com to extract and convert that
    same vob file to a 44.1 wav file. Works for me.

    Mike

    You could try turning it into a "fake" .avi that can be used just like
    a regular .avi.

    To do this, open the .VOB into a program called DGMPGDec. Then go to
    File--->Save Project. This should leave you with a .m2v file and the
    demuxed audio file (.ac3 or .wav). Now start a program called VFAPI.
    Open your project file (.m2v) and select convert. It will make a .avi
    file.

    Dont mess with the .VOB file as the new .avi file is actually reading
    the original vob and converting it on the fly. Just load the .avi and
    audio file, mux, and process however you wish.

    Both DGMPGDec and VFAPI can both be downloaded for free from
    www.doom9.org

    Or

    You could just rename the .vob to .mpg. A .VOB is just a mpeg2 file.

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:28:17 GMT, "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
    >a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    >illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    >footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
    >Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    >can't find a way to do it.
    >
    >Jeanne
    >
    >"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    > You CAN use Vegas 5 to do this. I just tried it with a file from a
    > commercial DVD. The vob goes right up on the timeline. Assuming AC3
    audio,
    > I use a tool called AC3Dec from www.ac3dec.com to extract and convert that
    > same vob file to a 44.1 wav file. Works for me.
    >
    >Mike

    Yes, Vegas 5 did accept the <.vob> file but it didn't play properly. It
    played only the first part of the file and quit. Then when I placed my
    cursor on various places on the timeline, I could see that all of the file
    was there but the last half was just was not playing.

    As I said in another post, I did get the problem solved. Thanks for
    answering.

    Jeanne

    wrote:

    >Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
    >a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    >illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    >footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
    >Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    >can't find a way to do it.
    >
    >Jeanne
    >
    >"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    Yes, it can be done. A .vob file is a so-called multiplexed file,
    which means that it can de-multiplexed into parts. A quite good
    program to do it with is TMPGEnc (MPEG-Tools under menu option: file)
    from www.pegasys-inc.com It is freeware for the part you need.

    Translation to .avi of the mpeg from the .vob can be done with
    VirtualDub's special mpeg-2 version.

    Thanks for your prompt answer. I'll try your suggestion.

    Jeanne

    "Funprice" <jhbusscherNOSPAMWHATSOEVER@freemail.nl> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:28:17 GMT, "bjeanneb" <bjeanneb@satx.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
    have
    > >a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > >illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > >footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
    5,
    > >Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    > >can't find a way to do it.
    > >
    > >Jeanne
    > >
    > >"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell
    > >

    > Yes, it can be done. A .vob file is a so-called multiplexed file,
    > which means that it can de-multiplexed into parts. A quite good
    > program to do it with is TMPGEnc (MPEG-Tools under menu option: file)
    > from www.pegasys-inc.com It is freeware for the part you need.
    >
    > Translation to .avi of the mpeg from the .vob can be done with
    > VirtualDub's special mpeg-2 version.

    Flaskmpeg is a free open source converter from many formats including
    VOB to AVI. Google it.
    Tom

    bjeanneb wrote:
    > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I have
    > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas 5,
    > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer and
    > can't find a way to do it.
    >
    > Jeanne
    >
    > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

    Thanks, Tom. I have solved the problem for my present problem but will look
    into Flaskmpeg for the future. Anything free is certainly worth a look,
    right?

    Jeanne

    "TandA" <TandA@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Flaskmpeg is a free open source converter from many formats including
    > VOB to AVI. Google it.
    > Tom
    >
    > bjeanneb wrote:
    > > Is there a program that transforms <vob> files into <.avi> or <mpg>? I
    have
    > > a VIDEO_TS file named "VTS_03_01.VOB" that I need to recode. It's not
    > > illegal; I created the original DVD myself, but have lost the original
    > > footage. I have searched all of the video software that I have -- Vegas
    5,
    > > Nero, Easy Media Creator 7, DVD Decrypter, Virtual Dub and Scenalyzer
    and
    > > can't find a way to do it.
    > >
    > > Jeanne
    > >
    > > "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." --Elsa Maxwell

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Graphics