Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2

Hello,

I'm running into a couple of problems with a new Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2
box -- curious if anyone else has run into this and/or resolved it.

I'm attempting to do something very simple and straightforward... capture a
video segment from the tuner using WinTV2000, then burn it to a DVD with
Ulead MovieFactory 3. (Note that both software packages are the ones that
ship with the capture box.)

However, even though I select DVD format (standard play) as my capture mode,
no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering
the file. It takes an hour or so to render 4 GB of video (on a 2.8 GHz P4).
I can't tell if it's rendering the video stream only, audio stream only, or
both. I have the latest drivers and apps from Hauppauge's web site and have
told MovieFactory to not enabled the option to "not convert compliant MPEG
files."

So, my questions:

1. Does the USB2 + WinTV2000 produce truly DVD-compliant files?
2. How do I keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering the video?

Clearly, if I have to re-render all MPEG2 files captured from the PVR, there
is no advantage over capturing to an AVI through a Brooktree-based card or
similar.

Another interesting glitch: I can't seem to figure out how to delete a
custom capture profile in WinTV2000. There is no "delete" button, nor do
the typical right-click/menu options work. Any ideas? Do I need to dive
into the Windows registry to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
6 answers Last reply
More about hauppauge wintv usb2

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm running into a couple of problems with a new Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2
    > box -- curious if anyone else has run into this and/or resolved it.
    >
    > I'm attempting to do something very simple and straightforward... capture a
    > video segment from the tuner using WinTV2000, then burn it to a DVD with
    > Ulead MovieFactory 3. (Note that both software packages are the ones that
    > ship with the capture box.)
    >
    > However, even though I select DVD format (standard play) as my capture mode,
    > no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering
    > the file. It takes an hour or so to render 4 GB of video (on a 2.8 GHz P4).
    > I can't tell if it's rendering the video stream only, audio stream only, or
    > both. I have the latest drivers and apps from Hauppauge's web site and have
    > told MovieFactory to not enabled the option to "not convert compliant MPEG
    > files."
    >
    > So, my questions:
    >
    > 1. Does the USB2 + WinTV2000 produce truly DVD-compliant files?
    > 2. How do I keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering the video?
    >
    > Clearly, if I have to re-render all MPEG2 files captured from the PVR, there
    > is no advantage over capturing to an AVI through a Brooktree-based card or
    > similar.
    >
    > Another interesting glitch: I can't seem to figure out how to delete a
    > custom capture profile in WinTV2000. There is no "delete" button, nor do
    > the typical right-click/menu options work. Any ideas? Do I need to dive
    > into the Windows registry to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kevin

    Most inexpensive DVD tools do this. Before you import your video, try
    setting Movie Factory to 9MBs (or whatever the highest setting is).
    Since the stream you end up giving it will be lower bitrate it prob.
    does not try to recompress.
    You might want to check out different DVD mastering tools (e.g. TMPGenc
    DVD Authoring does not recompress (it has no encoder build in)).
    I don't know why you can not turn this off.
    I have a PVR myself and I found that sometimes the headers are wrong.
    You can correct this with the MPEG tools in TMPenc (encoder). Just open
    and save with the right format. The tool will recreate the headers.
    Good Luck.
    For higher quality and lower bitrates I usually record with 12MB/s and
    then use TMPGenc to convert it to fit on the DVD (usually 2 Movies per
    DVD). The quality is still very good. Also you can be sure that TMPGenc
    produces compliant files. You can download the demo version of TMPG to
    see if your MovieFactory will accept the files without recompressing it.
    This way you can eliminate the cause.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Most inexpensive DVD tools do this. Before you import your video, try
    > setting Movie Factory to 9MBs (or whatever the highest setting is). Since
    > the stream you end up giving it will be lower bitrate it prob. does not
    > try to recompress.
    > You might want to check out different DVD mastering tools (e.g. TMPGenc
    > DVD Authoring does not recompress (it has no encoder build in)).
    > I don't know why you can not turn this off.
    > I have a PVR myself and I found that sometimes the headers are wrong.
    > You can correct this with the MPEG tools in TMPenc (encoder). Just open
    > and save with the right format. The tool will recreate the headers.
    > Good Luck.
    > For higher quality and lower bitrates I usually record with 12MB/s and
    > then use TMPGenc to convert it to fit on the DVD (usually 2 Movies per
    > DVD). The quality is still very good. Also you can be sure that TMPGenc
    > produces compliant files. You can download the demo version of TMPG to see
    > if your MovieFactory will accept the files without recompressing it.
    > This way you can eliminate the cause.
    >
    > Andre
    >
    > --
    > ----------------------------------
    > http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    An interesting side note: VideoReDo has a special setting to
    "Output streams for Movie Factory". There must be something
    different about the MPEG files Movie Factory works with.
    You could try running your files through VideoReDo/Quickfix
    www.VideoReDo.com it's fast and has a number of helpful
    tools. (Works great with TMPGEnc DVD Author, also)

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    >>> 1. Does the USB2 + WinTV2000 produce truly DVD-compliant files?
    >>> 2. How do I keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering the video?
    >>>
    >>> Clearly, if I have to re-render all MPEG2 files captured from the PVR,
    >>> there is no advantage over capturing to an AVI through a Brooktree-based
    >>> card or similar.
    >>>
    >>> Another interesting glitch: I can't seem to figure out how to delete a
    >>> custom capture profile in WinTV2000. There is no "delete" button, nor
    >>> do the typical right-click/menu options work. Any ideas? Do I need to
    >>> dive into the Windows registry to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Kevin
    >>>

    > "andre" <andre.gunther@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Most inexpensive DVD tools do this. Before you import your video, try
    >> setting Movie Factory to 9MBs (or whatever the highest setting is). Since
    >> the stream you end up giving it will be lower bitrate it prob. does not
    >> try to recompress.
    >> You might want to check out different DVD mastering tools (e.g. TMPGenc
    >> DVD Authoring does not recompress (it has no encoder build in)).
    >> I don't know why you can not turn this off.
    >> I have a PVR myself and I found that sometimes the headers are wrong.
    >> You can correct this with the MPEG tools in TMPenc (encoder). Just open
    >> and save with the right format. The tool will recreate the headers.
    >> Good Luck.
    >> For higher quality and lower bitrates I usually record with 12MB/s and
    >> then use TMPGenc to convert it to fit on the DVD (usually 2 Movies per
    >> DVD). The quality is still very good. Also you can be sure that TMPGenc
    >> produces compliant files. You can download the demo version of TMPG to
    >> see if your MovieFactory will accept the files without recompressing it.
    >> This way you can eliminate the cause.
    >>
    >> Andre
    >>
    >> --
    >> ----------------------------------
    >> http://www.aguntherphotography.com
    >
    > An interesting side note: VideoReDo has a special setting to
    > "Output streams for Movie Factory". There must be something
    > different about the MPEG files Movie Factory works with.
    > You could try running your files through VideoReDo/Quickfix
    > www.VideoReDo.com it's fast and has a number of helpful
    > tools. (Works great with TMPGEnc DVD Author, also)
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Andre and Ken,

    Thanks to both for your recommendations. I'll try the TMPGEnc and VideoReDo
    route to see if they make any difference. I heard back from Hauppauge tech
    support and they indicated that "MovieFactory" always needs to render. I
    don't agree, as TMPGEnc output I've created in the past needs no rendering.

    In case anyone monitoring this thread had the same question as I regarding
    custom compression settings in WinTV2000, I learned from Hauppauge tech
    support that the profiles can be edited/deleted from the registry here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\hcwTVWnd\SagHarbor\Configs

    Regards,
    Kevin

    In article <10m68iio31inb65@corp.supernews.com>, kwc@invalidaddress.com
    says...

    > Andre and Ken,
    >
    > Thanks to both for your recommendations. I'll try the TMPGEnc and VideoReDo
    > route to see if they make any difference. I heard back from Hauppauge tech
    > support and they indicated that "MovieFactory" always needs to render. I
    > don't agree, as TMPGEnc output I've created in the past needs no rendering.
    >
    > In case anyone monitoring this thread had the same question as I regarding
    > custom compression settings in WinTV2000, I learned from Hauppauge tech
    > support that the profiles can be edited/deleted from the registry here:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\hcwTVWnd\SagHarbor\Configs
    >
    > Regards,
    > Kevin

    Have you tried using the Mpeg editing tool that comes with the card,
    Mpeg VCR or something like that, if all you need to do is cut
    commercials that is the best way to do it. Womble makes a better tool
    for the job that has more features thant he free tool that came witht he
    card. Mpeg video Wizard http://www.womble.com I use it almost every
    day, once you get the hang of using the shortcut keys for the functions
    the job goes quite fast.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message
    > In article <10m68iio31inb65@corp.supernews.com>, kwc@invalidaddress.com
    > says...
    >>

    > Have you tried using the Mpeg editing tool that comes with the card,
    > Mpeg VCR or something like that, if all you need to do is cut
    > commercials that is the best way to do it. Womble makes a better tool
    > for the job that has more features thant he free tool that came witht he
    > card. Mpeg video Wizard http://www.womble.com I use it almost every
    > day, once you get the hang of using the shortcut keys for the functions
    > the job goes quite fast.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
    > http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Chris,

    I've used the nanoMPEG editor that comes with it -- had problems with
    lockups (requiring program end via task manager). At present I'm comparing
    two methods for deleting commercials: PVAStrumento (to separate streams) +
    Cuttermaran (to edit and remux the streams); and VideoReDo that Ken
    suggested. Except for the cost (the first solution is free!), VideoReDo
    wins so far for functionality and ease of use.

    Regards,
    Kevin

    "kwc" <kwc@invalidaddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm running into a couple of problems with a new Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2
    > box -- curious if anyone else has run into this and/or resolved it.
    >
    > I'm attempting to do something very simple and straightforward... capture
    > a video segment from the tuner using WinTV2000, then burn it to a DVD with
    > Ulead MovieFactory 3. (Note that both software packages are the ones that
    > ship with the capture box.)
    >
    > However, even though I select DVD format (standard play) as my capture
    > mode, no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep MovieFactory 3 from
    > re-rendering the file. It takes an hour or so to render 4 GB of video (on
    > a 2.8 GHz P4). I can't tell if it's rendering the video stream only, audio
    > stream only, or both. I have the latest drivers and apps from Hauppauge's
    > web site and have told MovieFactory to not enabled the option to "not
    > convert compliant MPEG files."
    >
    > So, my questions:
    >
    > 1. Does the USB2 + WinTV2000 produce truly DVD-compliant files?
    > 2. How do I keep MovieFactory 3 from re-rendering the video?
    >
    > Clearly, if I have to re-render all MPEG2 files captured from the PVR,
    > there is no advantage over capturing to an AVI through a Brooktree-based
    > card or similar.
    >
    > Another interesting glitch: I can't seem to figure out how to delete a
    > custom capture profile in WinTV2000. There is no "delete" button, nor do
    > the typical right-click/menu options work. Any ideas? Do I need to dive
    > into the Windows registry to do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kevin

    Just FYI, not sure what changed, but yesterday and today all of my captured
    clips did NOT require rendering in MovieFactory, including one that was
    nearly 2 hours in length.

    So far, provided I can continue to avoid rendering, the Hauppauge USB2 +
    MovieFactory is is turning out to be a much better solution (for me) than a
    standalone DVD player. Yeah!

    Regards,
    Kevin

Tuner Cards Video Hauppauge Graphics