Score
January 1, 2012 3:34:20 PM

BUY MOAR CHIPS NAO
Score
January 1, 2012 3:56:52 PM

Just part of a normal production cycle.
Score
January 1, 2012 4:13:59 PM

If only Intel could reduce prices by 10%. That would be win win for customers.
Score
January 1, 2012 4:16:07 PM

Quote:
If only Intel could reduce prices by 10%. That would be win win for customers.

It would kill the processor business of AMD.
Score
January 1, 2012 4:45:55 PM

digiexIt would kill the processor business of AMD.

Sometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.
Score
January 1, 2012 4:59:15 PM

Please let this mean that 8GB chips will drop :)  That would be awesome!
Score
January 1, 2012 5:23:19 PM

I am inclined to agree with freggo. It's just a typical production cycle. Over the years we've seen it happen many times with quite a few products.
Score
January 1, 2012 5:34:49 PM

cheaper ram, gfx cards and ssd? i can only hope....
Score
January 1, 2012 5:57:58 PM

Not to nit pick but cheaper ram? Have you seen ram prices iv gotten good 1600 speed name brand 8GB sets for
Score
January 1, 2012 8:35:45 PM

I keep face palming my self every time I remember on how much I spent on memory on my 486.
Score
January 1, 2012 9:06:20 PM

amuffinSometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.

It also reduces the price for AMD as well... HURP DURP.
Score
January 1, 2012 9:08:54 PM

Whoops, my comment was pointed at "Digiex". Sorry, amuffin. =]
Score
Anonymous
January 1, 2012 9:39:04 PM

Even if they drop prices it will not make it's way to consumers, look at how much american's pay in corn subsidies and the price of doritos has not fallen.
Score
January 1, 2012 9:56:28 PM

amuffinSometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.

so why doesn't it do that, maybe "out of the kindness of the web" i mean the processor industry

but i think now the 7970 should have less price and maybe some future AMD CPUs
Score
January 1, 2012 10:01:48 PM

madooo12so why doesn't it do that, maybe "out of the kindness of the web" i mean the processor industrybut i think now the 7970 should have less price and maybe some future AMD CPUs

i mean't didn't do that "out of the kindness of the web"
you understand
Score
January 2, 2012 12:00:24 AM

mechanical harddrive vendors, take note of this...
Score
January 2, 2012 4:01:13 AM

madooo12 said:
so why doesn't it do that, maybe "out of the kindness of the web" i mean the processor industry

but i think now the 7970 should have less price and maybe some future AMD CPUs

i'll throw some random words around...
antitrust. unfair business practice. monopoly. government.
Score
January 2, 2012 5:41:23 AM

I doubt if the 10 to 15 percent cut will ever go down to the consumer.
Score
January 2, 2012 5:48:42 AM

de5_royi'll throw some random words around...antitrust. unfair business practice. monopoly. government.

He said intel CAN do it if they wanted (he didn't say laws stopped them)
i'm saying why
the laws you mentioned apply when there are more than one company in the market, if intel gets rid of AMD the laws will be useless against them
Score
January 2, 2012 9:03:00 AM

"prices for wafers built on mature node processes "
Nobody wants that garbage.
Score
January 2, 2012 9:55:38 AM

intel4eva"prices for wafers built on mature node processes "Nobody wants that garbage.

i'm not sure but i think 28nm is mature
Score
January 2, 2012 12:20:21 PM

Intel has it's own chip production facilities, and AMD uses Global Fab for it's CPUs, neither are located in Taiwan, so neither would be affected by this at all. This will affect FABs based in Taiwan, not globally.

Nvidia & ATI/AMD however, use TSMC for their chip production. It might lower the prices for them, but the trickle down to the consumer would be negligible because as consumers we don't buy their chips directly. Any discounts will be absorbed by the supply chain, not passed onto us.

Probably only a win for investors IMO. :( 
Score
January 2, 2012 7:07:17 PM

I think Taiwan has a lot to benefit from taking advantage of the flooding in Thailand to promote itself as an alternative location for hard drive & SSD manufacturer.
Score
January 2, 2012 10:06:37 PM

Taiwan is the home of major brand, Asus, Gigabyte, Delta Electronics, Biostar and many more compines of computer hardware.
Score
January 3, 2012 12:36:15 PM

I love how they always blame the economy and consumer confidence as the main reason for slow computer sales or electronics in general.

I think the bigger factor is that the vast majority people don't care about having the latest and greatest computer. For 90+% of people a 3Ghz Pentium IV with 1GB RAM and Windows XP is more than enough computer horsepower to fill there computing needs. Heck if they have someone clean it out once a year most of those peoples needs can be fulfilled with 512MB RAM.

Then an even larger percentage can be fulfilled with any Core 2 or Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB RAM running Windows XP or higher or Mac OS X. As that will handle most multitasking, online HD video and any Flash content.

Because of smart phones and tablets online content is not getting much more complex either as they have a long way to go before their hardware meets PC performance. Even when they do start approaching PC performance. It'll take even longer for content providers to catch up as they will want to support the older tablets and smartphones until most people have ditched them for newer models.

So people just are not buying because they don't need to.
Score
!