Problems at XP pro

with XP Pro I usually connect with Remote Desktop Connection to a certain server without problems.
Now I also need the ability of connecting to another server, and cannot succeed.

I have tried to install the software using msrdpcli.exe at a Windows 95. It functions well, and I can connect to both servers.

When I try to install the same software at my XP Pro, I get the message, that it is already installed, but still I can only connect to the first server.

Trying to fix it, I wanted to remove the installation from XP and then reinstall it. But in the control panel, I cannot find the program in the list og programs that can be deleted.

I have then tried to explicitly delete the file mstsc.exe from in system32-folder. I succeed in the first place, but I can stil open the program from the start-menu, and after using it, it appears again in the system32-folder.

What can the problem be, and what can I do?

kirkegd

The problem mentioned occurs on a laptop. At work I connect to a LAN as one user. At home I connect to a wireless net with DSL as another user (the domain of the laptop). I guess the problem is a question of firewalls, but I cannot point out what.

Kirkegd

I think you are trying to solve a problem you don't have.

The problem is not the version of the Remote Desktop executable on your
machine.

If you want the latest version of that, here's where to get it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

(Thanks, Lanwench!)

More likely, there is some difference in the network connection path as
compared with the Windows 95 machine you had success with.

Can you say more about the network between you and the machine you are
attempting to connect to--and where the '95 machine fits in?

"Kirkegd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> with XP Pro I usually connect with Remote Desktop Connection to a certain
> server without problems.
> Now I also need the ability of connecting to another server, and cannot
> succeed.
>
> I have tried to install the software using msrdpcli.exe at a Windows 95.
> It functions well, and I can connect to both servers.
>
> When I try to install the same software at my XP Pro, I get the message,
> that it is already installed, but still I can only connect to the first
> server.
>
> Trying to fix it, I wanted to remove the installation from XP and then
> reinstall it. But in the control panel, I cannot find the program in the
> list og programs that can be deleted.
>
> I have then tried to explicitly delete the file mstsc.exe from in
> system32-folder. I succeed in the first place, but I can stil open the
> program from the start-menu, and after using it, it appears again in the
> system32-folder.
>
> What can the problem be, and what can I do?
>
> kirkegd

We need to know more about the relative network locations of the two servers
in relation to your home connection. (and also that win95 machine you spoke
of!)

Was the Win95 machine on the LAN at work?

How do you connect to the work LAN from home with the laptop?

"Additional information" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9B67070A-4C82-4E04-AA0A-9CAE00DA121C@microsoft.com...
> The problem mentioned occurs on a laptop. At work I connect to a LAN as
> one user. At home I connect to a wireless net with DSL as another user
> (the domain of the laptop). I guess the problem is a question of
> firewalls, but I cannot point out what.
>
> Kirkegd

The desktop pc, where I succeeded, is connected to the LAN at work - I'm sorry, it is not a 95, but 98.
With that I was able to remotely connect to a terminal server inside the company, and also to a server of another company.

And now my laptop:
At work I connect to the LAN as a user of the domain of my company (remote connecting to the company terminal server: good. Foreign server: bad).
At home I either:
- log on the laptop in the same way as on work and connect to the LAN with a modem (remote connecting: same results as at work)
or:
- log on the laptop as a local user (on "this computer") and am connected to the internet with a wireless DSL in my neighborhood (remote connecting: still the same results).

Another information:
I have an IIS installed on my laptop, just used for testing. Could that have any importance?