DVCAM to Beta SP 7.5 IRE?

Hi all..

Recently began having a problem with my copy house with DVCAM masters.
It seems the beta copies are washed out and won't play well on NTSC
broadcast. I believe DV black is at 0 so when they line up the bars they are
going to push everything else off scale.. What is the correct approach to
insure good replication from DV to BetaSP?

Thanks..

nap

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> Hi all..
>
> Recently began having a problem with my copy house with DVCAM
> masters. It seems the beta copies are washed out and won't play well
> on NTSC broadcast. I believe DV black is at 0 so when they line up
> the bars they are going to push everything else off scale.. What is
> the correct approach to insure good replication from DV to BetaSP?
>
> Thanks..
>
> nap

Yes, unfortunately DV black is 0 IRE. Doesn't your NLE offer the option to
add setup when you do a print to tape? I know that Vegas does and the only
time I use it if I'm sending something out that I know will be broadcast.
Otherwise, I just leave it alone.
The other issue is whether your DVCAM deck adds setup or not. If it does,
and you've already added setup during a print to tape, then you've just
added 15 IRE of setup, not 7.5. Confused? Damn right.
Why camera manufacturers refuse to stick to the NTSC standard of adding
setup is beyond me. I realize that most of the rest of the world runs at 0
IRE - but not here in North America :-(
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/prodv/clips/blacksetup/JVC_DEMO.swf does a
pretty good job of explaining the potential for errors in this wonderful new
age of video :)

Mike

"a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all..
>
> Recently began having a problem with my copy house with DVCAM masters.
> It seems the beta copies are washed out and won't play well on NTSC
> broadcast. I believe DV black is at 0 so when they line up the bars they
> are going to push everything else off scale.. What is the correct approach
> to insure good replication from DV to BetaSP?
>
> Thanks..
>
> nap
As long as the white in the bars is the same as the maximum white
in your DV, and the blacks in your video are the same as the black
in the bars, you should be good to go. The operator should have
set the blacks from the bars at 7.5 and the white patch to 100%
and yadda yada. If it was right when it left your place, and it was
wrong when it got to broadcast, then the problem has to be the dub.

Now, if the bars you used had black at 7.5, but the blacks in the program
were at 0, and or the same thing with white, then the problem is yours.

My guess is that you got a bad dub.

David

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:34:31 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
<kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Doesn't your NLE offer the option to add setup when you do a print to tape?

No need to go so complicated. I reckon writing on the label of your
tape what levels _you_ used and what bars and tone etc, should give
them enough information to line their gear up correctly (if you're not
dealing with a total idiot running your dub). I has always worked for
me, marking up my tapes, never a bad dub :)

cheers

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?

"Martin Heffels" <tguei221@handbag.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:34:31 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
> <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>Doesn't your NLE offer the option to add setup when you do a print to
>>tape?
>
> No need to go so complicated. I reckon writing on the label of your
> tape what levels _you_ used and what bars and tone etc, should give
> them enough information to line their gear up correctly (if you're not
> dealing with a total idiot running your dub). I has always worked for
> me, marking up my tapes, never a bad dub :)
>
> cheers
>
> -martin-
>
> --

Cheers Martin.. My dub house sets the proc amp on the input to the BetaSP
deck so that my black is @7.5, I think this is instinctive on their part to
set bars to 7.5->100 But this brings everything else up also.. So I was
ending up with a bright,washed out looking dub. I haven't found a way to
generate 7.5 color bars out DV with PRemiere Pro.. although i'd swear I saw
0 and 7.5 radio buttons somehwere.. . So I left the bars alone and added the
'broadcast' filter to the program. This is probably the wrong approach but
it seems to yield a better looking beta dub..

open to any input here.