Optimum length of titles or stills in video for best encod..

Using Premiere and TMPGE (Express and Author) to make DVDs from camcorder
footage.

In Premiere, I often add titles and slideshows of stills.

Does it matter how many frames long my titles or still images are ?

Should they necessarily be a multiple of 30 or 29.97 ? Or ideally a
multiple of something else ?

I'm using the default NTSC/DVD settings in TMPGE. I don't really
understand I, P, and B frame stuff.

Just wondering if titles / stills process better with some specific length
or multiple.

Thanks !

"DelawareDave" <davejunkmail123@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Using Premiere and TMPGE (Express and Author) to make DVDs from camcorder
> footage.
>
> In Premiere, I often add titles and slideshows of stills.
>
> Does it matter how many frames long my titles or still images are ?
>
> Should they necessarily be a multiple of 30 or 29.97 ? Or ideally a
> multiple of something else ?
>
> I'm using the default NTSC/DVD settings in TMPGE. I don't really
> understand I, P, and B frame stuff.
>
> Just wondering if titles / stills process better with some specific length
> or multiple.
>
> Thanks !

When you output the file from Premiere to MPEG-2 NTSC standard the stills
and tiles are converted as well. It makes no difference whether or not you
attempt to pick some multiple of 30, etc. Titles and stills should remain on
the screen in whatever duration of time that makes you happy. If you want to
read a little more about MPEG and the IBP frame structure I have an article
on my website at: http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com/mpeg.htm The article
explains the different types of MPEG formats, the GOP, and bitrate types.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:00:14 GMT, "Digital Video Solutions"
<video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote:

>When you output the file from Premiere to MPEG-2 NTSC standard the stills
>and tiles are converted as well. It makes no difference whether or not you
>attempt to pick some multiple of 30, etc.

I don't think so. The most efficiente, in compression terms, is to use
a multiple of the GOP. If the target is a DVD, then you are restricted
in the GOP you can use, and should stick to multiples of it. If the
target is computer, then you can use any length, but then adjust the
GOP to it.

>I have an article
>on my website at: http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com/mpeg.htm The article
>explains the different types of MPEG formats, the GOP, and bitrate types.

There you say: "MP@LL - Main Profile at Low Level. is the most
efficient method of MPEG-2 compression for half frame videos. MP@LL
also uses the I, B, and P frames." Can you expand this a bit, and what
do you understand by half frame? 352x480?

There, you also say: "Image Size will depend on the type of MPEG file
you are working with. MPEG-1 limits you to a frame resolution of
352x240 (NTSC) in most cases." That's not exact. You can make mpeg-1
of any resolution. It's Vcd that restricts resolution to 352x240 (288
for PAL). Similarly when you say "MPEG has a standard GOP of 15 with
the interval of 3", those standards come with the Vcd, Svcd, Dvd
formats, not with mpeg, which is unrestricted in that respect.