Remote Desktop Behind Linksys Wireless Router

I have remote desktop turned on at my home pc which is behind a linksys wireless router attached to a cable modem. Remote desktop works fine from another PC at home on the wireless network, but I can't get it to work from outside when connected to the internet. Do I need to change the settings on my Linksys to support remote desktop from a different location?

Thanks! J
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop linksys wireless router

    "Jay Rumwell" <jayrum@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have remote desktop turned on at my home pc which is behind a linksys
    wireless router attached to a cable modem. Remote desktop works fine from
    another PC at home on the wireless network, but I can't get it to work from
    outside when connected to the internet. Do I need to change the settings on
    my Linksys to support remote desktop from a different location?

    | Thanks! J

    Yes you will need to forward port 3389 on the router to the internal IP
    address of the machine you wish to run RD on. If there is more than one
    machine then you will have to use a different port for each machine on the
    LAN.
    --
    Chris Lewis

    As was said, you need to port the firewall for 3389.
    However, I would recommend changing ports for which RDP
    listens. That way:

    #1 it won't be quite as easy to find
    #2 you can set different PC's to different ports,
    therefore you can control any PC on your network by
    specifying which port you want.

    Also, set your computer so that the machine locks after 3
    failed password attempts, and also rename or disable the
    default administrator account.

    More key to this is to have a secure password.. Security by obscurity
    is not much better without having a decent type of password.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:00:29 -0700, "Jeff"

    >As was said, you need to port the firewall for 3389.
    >However, I would recommend changing ports for which RDP
    >listens. That way:
    >
    >#1 it won't be quite as easy to find
    >#2 you can set different PC's to different ports,
    >therefore you can control any PC on your network by
    >specifying which port you want.
    >
    >Also, set your computer so that the machine locks after 3
    >failed password attempts, and also rename or disable the
    >default administrator account.

Remote Desktop Wireless Router Linksys Windows XP