Remote Desktop Behind Linksys Wireless Router

I have remote desktop turned on at my home pc which is behind a linksys wireless router attached to a cable modem. Remote desktop works fine from another PC at home on the wireless network, but I can't get it to work from outside when connected to the internet. Do I need to change the settings on my Linksys to support remote desktop from a different location?

Thanks! J

"Jay Rumwell" <jayrum@microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have remote desktop turned on at my home pc which is behind a linksys
wireless router attached to a cable modem. Remote desktop works fine from
another PC at home on the wireless network, but I can't get it to work from
outside when connected to the internet. Do I need to change the settings on
my Linksys to support remote desktop from a different location?

| Thanks! J

Yes you will need to forward port 3389 on the router to the internal IP
address of the machine you wish to run RD on. If there is more than one
machine then you will have to use a different port for each machine on the
LAN.
--
Chris Lewis

jeff

As was said, you need to port the firewall for 3389.
However, I would recommend changing ports for which RDP
listens. That way:

#1 it won't be quite as easy to find
#2 you can set different PC's to different ports,
therefore you can control any PC on your network by
specifying which port you want.

Also, set your computer so that the machine locks after 3
failed password attempts, and also rename or disable the
default administrator account.

More key to this is to have a secure password.. Security by obscurity
is not much better without having a decent type of password.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:00:29 -0700, "Jeff"