Video Editing on Macintosh OSX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 6, 2004 4:39:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
the products out there cost as much as $1000.

At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
Adobe After Effects 6.5
Apple Final Cut Pro
.... any others I'm missing?

I'd eventually like to learn the program I go with well enough to
throw together nicely done videos with some really groovy effects, but
again -- not having any experience with any of these programs I'm not
sure which to go with.

I have worked with Premier on Windows in the past, but since I've gone
Mac last year I'm wanting to stay with something Mac compliant. Video
will be introduced into the Mac via my DV camera.

Thanks for any assistance or help,

Sam
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:28:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <b8d0e42e.0410061139.18e5bedf@posting.google.com>,
samalex@gmail.com (Alex) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
> range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
> editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
> it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
> the products out there cost as much as $1000.
>
> At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
> Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
> Adobe After Effects 6.5
> Apple Final Cut Pro
> ... any others I'm missing?

Final Cut Express
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

In article <b8d0e42e.0410061139.18e5bedf@posting.google.com>, Alex
<samalex@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
> range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
> editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
> it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
> the products out there cost as much as $1000.
>
> At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
> Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
> Adobe After Effects 6.5
> Apple Final Cut Pro
> ... any others I'm missing?
>
> I'd eventually like to learn the program I go with well enough to
> throw together nicely done videos with some really groovy effects, but
> again -- not having any experience with any of these programs I'm not
> sure which to go with.
>
> I have worked with Premier on Windows in the past, but since I've gone
> Mac last year I'm wanting to stay with something Mac compliant. Video
> will be introduced into the Mac via my DV camera.
>
> Thanks for any assistance or help,

Premiere for Mac is a dead horse (Adobe has announced discontinuation).
Final Cut Pro or Express would be good for what you want.

--
Spenser
October 7, 2004 12:22:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

FCP will do keying but has limited resources for it. After Effects is better
for fx and keying etc.. But you'll find thatyou need both an FX app and an
editor. On the lowly mac there are but two choices I believe. AVID and Final
Crutch.

"Alex" <samalex@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
> range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
> editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
> it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
> the products out there cost as much as $1000.
>
> At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
> Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
> Adobe After Effects 6.5
> Apple Final Cut Pro
> ... any others I'm missing?
>
> I'd eventually like to learn the program I go with well enough to
> throw together nicely done videos with some really groovy effects, but
> again -- not having any experience with any of these programs I'm not
> sure which to go with.
>
> I have worked with Premier on Windows in the past, but since I've gone
> Mac last year I'm wanting to stay with something Mac compliant. Video
> will be introduced into the Mac via my DV camera.
>
> Thanks for any assistance or help,
>
> Sam
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 3:42:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

Just to give you a heads-up, Premiere Pro is Windows only.

"Alex" <samalex@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
> range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
> editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
> it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
> the products out there cost as much as $1000.
>
> At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
> Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
> Adobe After Effects 6.5
> Apple Final Cut Pro
> ... any others I'm missing?
>
> I'd eventually like to learn the program I go with well enough to
> throw together nicely done videos with some really groovy effects, but
> again -- not having any experience with any of these programs I'm not
> sure which to go with.
>
> I have worked with Premier on Windows in the past, but since I've gone
> Mac last year I'm wanting to stay with something Mac compliant. Video
> will be introduced into the Mac via my DV camera.
>
> Thanks for any assistance or help,
>
> Sam
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 10:40:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:28:10 -0700, Steve Hix
<sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

>Final Cut Express

Avoid Final Cut at all cost. It caused me a major headache again today
:(

For those who don't believe me try the following simple exercise:

Start FCP 4.5HD
Capture some vid in offline resolution (to save space on a full disk)
Synch some audio to it
Do an insert of your audio only, back to tape.

Now, that is fun :( (((

(n.b. you can't do inserts via firewire by the way, I am using a
Decklink card).

cheers

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?
Anonymous

"Martin Heffels" <tguei221@handbag.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:28:10 -0700, Steve Hix
> <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
>>Final Cut Express
>
> Avoid Final Cut at all cost. It caused me a major headache again today
> :(
>
> For those who don't believe me try the following simple exercise:
>
> Start FCP 4.5HD
> Capture some vid in offline resolution (to save space on a full disk)
> Synch some audio to it
> Do an insert of your audio only, back to tape.
>
> Now, that is fun :( (((
>
> (n.b. you can't do inserts via firewire by the way, I am using a
> Decklink card).
>
> cheers
>
> -martin-

Our FCP setup simply devolved into a mess that is just sitting... Would NOT
export to tape without crashing.. And on and on.. I am cutting with Premiere
Pro and even with a few quirks it is so very much faster... a pleasure
actually..
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:42:06 GMT, "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Our FCP setup simply devolved into a mess that is just sitting... Would NOT
>export to tape without crashing.. And on and on..

Hmmm, it can be worse then what I have to sit through then :(

>I am cutting with Premiere
>Pro and even with a few quirks it is so very much faster... a pleasure
>actually..

For standard home-user work, I don't think FCP is too bad, so I don't
want to write it off completely. If the OP falls into that category,
I think he's better off then getting AVID because the user-interface
is rather intimidating for a novice. FCP looks a bit more familiar.

cheers

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:20:37 AM

news:p hcbm0hb3ogs68uv1bc1tuitf2ipc7407b@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:42:06 GMT, "a-e-i-o-u-" <joseft@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Our FCP setup simply devolved into a mess that is just sitting... Would
>>NOT
>>export to tape without crashing.. And on and on..
>
> Hmmm, it can be worse then what I have to sit through then :(
>
>>I am cutting with Premiere
>>Pro and even with a few quirks it is so very much faster... a pleasure
>>actually..
>
> For standard home-user work, I don't think FCP is too bad, so I don't
> want to write it off completely. If the OP falls into that category,
> I think he's better off then getting AVID because the user-interface
> is rather intimidating for a novice. FCP looks a bit more familiar.

Agreeed.. and there are enough people actually getting work done on it.. But
mine is NG

> cheers
>
> -martin-
>
> --
> Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:34:25 PM

samalex@gmail.com (Alex) wrote in message news:<b8d0e42e.0410061139.18e5bedf@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a video editing application that will allow me to do a
> range of effects, like blue/greenscreen effects, frame by frame
> editing, lighting and special effects, etc. iMovie just doesn't cut
> it, but I'm not sure which is the preferred way to go since many of
> the products out there cost as much as $1000.
>
> At this point I'm looking at the following apps:
> Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
> Adobe After Effects 6.5
> Apple Final Cut Pro
> ... any others I'm missing?
>
> I'd eventually like to learn the program I go with well enough to
> throw together nicely done videos with some really groovy effects, but
> again -- not having any experience with any of these programs I'm not
> sure which to go with.
>
> I have worked with Premier on Windows in the past, but since I've gone
> Mac last year I'm wanting to stay with something Mac compliant. Video
> will be introduced into the Mac via my DV camera.
>
> Thanks for any assistance or help,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

I have experience with both the Avid and Final Cut Pro, and I find
both of them good and flexible enough. FCP is better for editing Audio
I think, you can play around with the wave file more directly.
However, $$ is a serious issue... They both cost over $1000. But if
you want to do this commercially, it will pay back, and it is
definitely an advantage to have your own equipment.

If you are not thinking about commercial usage for now, and if you are
computer savvy, there are ever more FREE things available for Linux.
It is really a great alternative market, the graphics programs are
already very advanced, and video is catching up. And you can install
that platform on a Mac.

Iguana.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:32:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

Martin Heffels <tguei221@handbag.com> wrote:

> Avoid Final Cut at all cost. It caused me a major headache again today
> :(
>
> For those who don't believe me try the following simple exercise:
>
> Start FCP 4.5HD
> Capture some vid in offline resolution (to save space on a full disk)
> Synch some audio to it
> Do an insert of your audio only, back to tape.
>
> Now, that is fun :( (((

Just because you have trouble with that particular sequence is not
really a reason to say FCP is junk.

I have used it daily for ages, and produced several commercial videos
using FCP ever since version 1 (these are community documentaries plus
commercial how-to craft videos we sell). Each version of FCP has been
better than the last. V1 was a real pain, but the current HD is just
downright excellent.

Disk space is so cheap that I never bother with offline resolution.
That was a big issue back in the 90's. In 1996 I had a bank of size 3GB
drives with my Avid Composer. That darn stack cost me $20K and only had
18GB storage!

Now I can get a 250GB drive for $300. At 14GB/hr, that means one of
those drives can handle about 18 hours of video. I just loaded up my G4
with 4 internal drives, and then added an external one for some archive
stuff I want always available.

Digitial video takes disk space and it takes RAM. If you don't have
both of those, there isn't a video editing package out there that will
make you happy.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:33:46 AM

iga <iguanacz@wp.pl> wrote:

> If you are not thinking about commercial usage for now, and if you are
> computer savvy, there are ever more FREE things available for Linux.
> It is really a great alternative market, the graphics programs are
> already very advanced, and video is catching up. And you can install
> that platform on a Mac.

For that matter, iMovie and iDVD are free on the Mac. If not thinking
commercial, then those might do.

A step up is Final Cut Express. Around $400 if I remember correctly.

Or go with the full blown Final Cut Pro HD. $1000 and worth every penny
if you are into serious video editing.

btw, I had an Avid Composer that I paid $90K for in 1996. I sold it for
$20K when I heard Final Cut Pro had come out. FCP version 1 was a bit
of a disappointment, but that program has gotten rapidly better and now
outshines anything I could ever do with the Avid at 1/90 the price.

And yes, I know I am comparing 10 year old Avid with a new FCP. Just
noting how far video editing has come in the last 10 years. Back then I
was the only kid on the block with a video setup. Now my 12 year old
nephew has one. :-)
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 9:11:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.apps (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:32:17 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

>Just because you have trouble with that particular sequence is not
>really a reason to say FCP is junk.

It's my opinion that it is a piece of junk. You are happy to use it,
without problems. On ya mate! I constantly run into problems. And, ask
a-e-i-o-u, aka nappy. He can tell you a story or two.

>V1 was a real pain, but the current HD is just
>downright excellent.

And I found V3 a pain, so am glad I have never even been close to V1.

>Disk space is so cheap that I never bother with offline resolution.
>That was a big issue back in the 90's.

It is still an issue, especially in education, like in my case, when
the academic year comes to and end. No more money, and I wish I could
buy a small RAID because we recently switched to a Decklink-card.

>Digitial video takes disk space and it takes RAM. If you don't have
>both of those, there isn't a video editing package out there that will
>make you happy.

I know :)

-martin-

--
Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?
!