Can a DVD recorder or PC digital tuner card render your ow..

Those of you who edit video on there PC's usually do the editing as an AVI
file & then render it out as an MPEG2 file for burning onto a DVD. I was
wondering if it's possible to use one of the new DVD recorders to do the
rendering as it's been outputted from your PC in real time? I do know that
even the PC digital tuner cards can take a an AVI signal & render it in real
time to MPEG2 . Maybe these card can also be used to do the same thing?
What about formats like MPEG4 or DIVX can they do this as well?
--
Thanks in advance

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Those of you who edit video on there PC's usually do the editing as an AVI
> file & then render it out as an MPEG2 file for burning onto a DVD. I was
> wondering if it's possible to use one of the new DVD recorders to do the
> rendering as it's been outputted from your PC in real time? I do know
that
> even the PC digital tuner cards can take a an AVI signal & render it in
real
> time to MPEG2 . Maybe these card can also be used to do the same thing?
> What about formats like MPEG4 or DIVX can they do this as well?

I presume you're talking about taking video captured to a non-compressed
format (such as DV) and using a hardware device of some kind to render to
MPEG2 in real time (or faster!).

A standalone DVD recorder can do this, but it would be an analog transfer
from the PC to DVD recorder. I don't think DVD recorders with Firewire will
accept the output from a PC's Firewire port the way a camcorder can be used
to "print to tape" from a PC (strange hacks notwithstanding).

When I looked, there were only a couple of devices that could essentially
offload the rendering process to MPEG2 encoder hardware, but they were
expensive and in one case only advertised "near real time" acceleration.

The newest generation of NVidia chipsets claims to be able to use the card's
graphics processor to do this kind of encoding acceleration/processing, but
I don't think there's any generally available software to do it.

Given that many DVD recorders can be purchased for under $300, I would think
that a board that can put in a PC to handle rendering of an uncompressed
format like DV to MPEG2 would be inexpensive and pretty popular given the
desire of many people to edit on the PC and produce MPEG2 video for DVDs.

But apparently not. I guess we'll just have to wait for 2-3 more years of
CPU enhancement to make it happen for us.