H3660 hung during ROM Update

May 22, 2004 7:03:01 PM

I have just attempted to update the ROM image on my iPAQ 3660 from 2.14 to
2.20. The backup of the existing image went OK but when I proceeded to
update the image a popup window advided that contact had been lost and that
I should attempt to re-establish the connection but should not hard reset
else damage might occur.

Any advice on how I could overcome this problem would be much appreciated.
Will a hard reset really cause damage, or is this the only option available.

Many thanks

More about : h3660 hung rom update

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 7:03:02 PM

Restart Windows on PC, connect your PDA to PC and start the upgrade once
more - it should work.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

Thanks Jakub, but I've tried that already. The problem is that Activesync
on the PC cannot connect to Activesync on the PDA. Until there is a
connection it is notpossible to start the upgrade process. Perhaps when the
upgrade started it damaged Activesync on the PDA and then the process fell
over?

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
news:o aR$H%238PEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Restart Windows on PC, connect your PDA to PC and start the upgrade once
> more - it should work.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

May 24, 2004 1:14:26 AM

There is still one way to save your PDA. You have to swich your PDA to the
service mode, and using serial cable connect to it from PC running
Hyperterminal or other terminal emulation software. I did it only once, but
I can't give you details. Google for "iPAQ parrot rescue" or similar.

--

..: Jakub Kañczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

In message <40aedf0c$0$1588$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Johno"
<nospam@nospam> wrote:

> I have just attempted to update the ROM image on my iPAQ 3660 from 2.14
> 2.20. The backup of the existing image went OK but when I proceeded to
> update the image a popup window advided that contact had been lost and that
> I should attempt to re-establish the connection but should not hard reset
> else damage might occur.
>
> Any advice on how I could overcome this problem would be much appreciated.
> Will a hard reset really cause damage, or is this the only option available.
>
> Many thanks

2.20 sure sounds like a 3800 series upgrade, are you sure it for the 3600
series?

Qman...
--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

The 2.20 is for the 3800 series...you flashed the ROM with the wrong
update...

Bobby

"Qman" <qman_lv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In message <40aedf0c$0$1588$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Johno"
> <nospam@nospam> wrote:
>>
>> I have just attempted to update the ROM image on my iPAQ 3660 from 2.14
>> 2.20. The backup of the existing image went OK but when I proceeded to
>> update the image a popup window advided that contact had been lost and
>> that
>> I should attempt to re-establish the connection but should not hard reset
>> else damage might occur.
>>
>> Any advice on how I could overcome this problem would be much
>> appreciated.
>> Will a hard reset really cause damage, or is this the only option
>> available.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

> 2.20 sure sounds like a 3800 series upgrade, are you sure it for the 3600
> series?
>

> Qman...
> --
> Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
> Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

May 24, 2004 11:22:42 PM

"Qman" <qman_lv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In message <40aedf0c$0$1588$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Johno"
> <nospam@nospam> wrote:
> >

> 2.20 sure sounds like a 3800 series upgrade, are you sure it for the 3600
> series?
>

> Qman...
> --

Thanks Qman. Yes it is for the 3660. Here is the link
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/lo...

Johno
May 24, 2004 11:32:09 PM

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
news:o KllsoPQEHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> There is still one way to save your PDA. You have to swich your PDA to the
> service mode, and using serial cable connect to it from PC running
> Hyperterminal or other terminal emulation software. I did it only once,
but
> I can't give you details. Google for "iPAQ parrot rescue" or similar.
>
> --
>
> .: Jakub Kañczugowski
> .: www.PDAclub.pl

Thanks Jakub.

Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable. I rang the HP support line and
was assured that, despite on-screen warnings, it would be safe to do a hard
restart as long as the USB cable was disconnected. Regrettably this
resulted in instant death for the iPAQ. I was advised I would have to pay
for the repair. I have sent it to the repair center for a quote, but over
the phone they thought that a mainboard replacement would be required,
costing around $US150. If this is the case, and as the unit needs a new
battery as well, I will throw it away.

Leanings:
- HP is not the quality company they once were
- Never do flash upgrades on any device. I have never attemped one before
and never will again
- Don't trust advice given on support lines.

Johno
May 26, 2004 1:02:13 AM

"NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote in message
> The 2.20 is for the 3800 series...you flashed the ROM with the wrong
> update...
>
> Bobby

Thanks Bobby. So the information on the HP site:

( http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/lo... )
is wrong?!

Pasting what they say:

"iPAQ H3600 Series Pocket PC 2002 ROM Update
version 2.20 (18 Nov 02)"

That's what I downloaded and used to flash the ROM.

Johno
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:02:14 AM

I have a question; BEFORE you did the update, was your device
installed with Pocket PC 2002?
The update listed on the website -requires- Pocket PC 2002 to
be installed on the device -before- the update.

~S.

"Johno" <nospam@nospam> wrote in

> Thanks Bobby. So the information on the HP site:
>
> ( http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/lo...
1334.htm

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a question; BEFORE you did the update, was your device
> installed with Pocket PC 2002?
> The update listed on the website -requires- Pocket PC 2002 to
> be installed on the device -before- the update.

Ace,

Yes, Pocket PC 2002 was the OS installed, and the ROM image was 2.14.

Johno
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:28:47 AM

I don't suppose you saved the ROM before you
attempted the update? it might help you getting
your PPC working again..

~S.

"Johno" <nospam@nospam> wrote in news:40b32df0$0$8985$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

> I don't suppose you saved the ROM before you
> attempted the update? it might help you getting
> your PPC working again..

Ace,

Yes I saved it, unfortunately the device is now completely dead. I have now
sent it off to HP's designated repair center for a quote. Talking to them
before sending it they thought it might need a main board replacement. I
don't know much about PPCs but this sounds crazy to me. If I have a hard
drive with a corrupted copy of Windows I don't throw it away and replace it,
I reformat the drive and reinstall the OS. Surely they should be able to
install to the ROM in the same manner as when the device is manufactured?

Johno
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:07:25 AM

Ofcourse, the internal ROM flash memory works just like a
harddrive, it can be reused by formatting and reflashing it.
(copying back a fresh image into flash)
But should the board show a weakness somewhere in either
hardware or software on parts of the board, then they might
decide to replace the entire board.. It's up to the
technicians of HP to judge whether your iPAQ is fit enough
to be reflashed without a board replacement. A small test
for yourself could have been to try to get your iPAQ into
'parrot' mode, as Jakub described. if it had responded with
a terminal screen then the hardware has at the very least
still some life in it.

As for the quote, I hope that HP will be reasonable about it
and that your PPC is reflasheable.
If it were me, i'd hassle them every other day to ask about
the device and repeat what tech support told me, that a hard
reset was harmless. because it did sound like HP's support
gave the final neckshot to your iPAQ.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Ace,

Yes, I could get the parrot picture (presumably a Norwegian Blue, for Monty
Python fans) BEFORE HP told me to hard restart it. Now it really is as dead
as the Norwegian Blue!

I'll be ringing them every day to find out the progress. And I intend
sending a letter to HP after this is finalized suggesting that they should
pay at least some of the cost since it was their software firstly and
support person secondly that caused the damage. There were no warnings at
any point that the iPAQ could be damaged by the ROM upgrade process and
while there was a subsequent warning not to hard restart, their support
person said this would be OK. I followed all instructions and advice given,
so I don't see how I am to blame for the outcome.

Thanks for the advice.

Johno

!