Chip Industry Had Tough Nov '11; Expects Long Term Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Well, Ivy-Bridge should do pretty well this year and stimulate some sales. There are way too many newly developing markets for any slowdown to last too long, in my view.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
from my point of view, old sata is still good enough, old usb2 is still good enough, 'olde' ddr3 still good enough, and graphics showing little improvement, screens still the same (lcd tv all in one) and good enough.

What compelling reason is their to get new kit for a higher price (new AMD lol chips, hard drives skyrocket).

The market is also pretty saturated (in 'developed' nations) where there is pretty much a PC/Laptop or 2 in every home.

The only real reason to get new computers is for work (computational needs), playing facebook browser games along with games being held back by consoles are still fine.

e8500 + 4870x2, not a single compelling reason to upgrade.

That is, if the article were talking about desktops/laptops.

Phones however, could always be better, and they are more suseptable to damage/loss. Not to mention the 'fad' factor. Growth in phones, but decline in desktops in my opinion, purely due to lack of anything domestic putting a strain on desktop resources.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]from my point of view, old sata is still good enough, old usb2 is still good enough[/citation]

USB2 is nowhere near good enough. Even USB 3 can be a limiting factor in transfer speeds.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I agree with billybobser, most people don't even need the power that a first generation Core2 Duo offered. I mean, you can build a Pentium/4GB RAM/Win7 system for next to nothing, and people will think they have an i7 with 16GB of RAM.

And USB2.0 is fine, as long as you aren't shooting more than a few gigs of data.

I work on PCs full time and most people still have late XP/early Vista computers with first gen dual cores and 1 or 2GB of RAM and they are happy with them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]from my point of view, old sata is still good enough, old usb2 is still good enough, 'olde' ddr3 still good enough, and graphics showing little improvement, screens still the same (lcd tv all in one) and good enough.What compelling reason is their to get new kit for a higher price (new AMD lol chips, hard drives skyrocket).The market is also pretty saturated (in 'developed' nations) where there is pretty much a PC/Laptop or 2 in every home.The only real reason to get new computers is for work (computational needs), playing facebook browser games along with games being held back by consoles are still fine.e8500 + 4870x2, not a single compelling reason to upgrade.That is, if the article were talking about desktops/laptops.Phones however, could always be better, and they are more suseptable to damage/loss. Not to mention the 'fad' factor. Growth in phones, but decline in desktops in my opinion, purely due to lack of anything domestic putting a strain on desktop resources.[/citation]

cpu, any near 3ghz dual core or quad core is good enough
gpu, mid range 5770 is good for almost everything, and some newer at lowered details.
ram, is there a real world difference between ddr2 and ddr3 outside of rendering?
hdd, as long as there is space you are good with whatever
ssd, as long as its boot the sataII is good enough
usb2, for non storage is good enough

now as for phones, the only part that needs to be better is the speaker and mic, i would pay for a quality speaker and mic, as they are the worst part of any phone today.

[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]I agree with billybobser, most people don't even need the power that a first generation Core2 Duo offered. I mean, you can build a Pentium/4GB RAM/Win7 system for next to nothing, and people will think they have an i7 with 16GB of RAM. And USB2.0 is fine, as long as you aren't shooting more than a few gigs of data.I work on PCs full time and most people still have late XP/early Vista computers with first gen dual cores and 1 or 2GB of RAM and they are happy with them.[/citation]

personally, i just got win 7 64bit for more ram and an ssd. i have 8gb ddr2, and i am already hitting the 8gb range with how much i use when im not pushing my system, i could easily use a 16gb ram system, but wasn't paying 300$ for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.