32kz vs 48khz capture with Sony TRV740

I am capturing old analog Hi-8 video recordings through my Sony TRV740
to my PC via firewire using the analog to digital pass-through
capability of the TRV740. I'm using Windows MovieMaker to do the
capture and save to an AVI. Whether I set the audio on the TRV740 to
12-bit or 16-bit, the audio still comes out with a 32khz sampling
rate.

From other posts I've read, it seems that 12-bit equates to 32khz and
16-bit equates to 48khz. This does not seem to be the case for me.

Is there a way to force the audio to capture at 48khz? I'd rather not
have to upsample the audio to 48khz after capturing.

Thanks much for any assistance.

On 7 Oct 2004 05:58:06 -0700, stevedavenport@hotmail.com (SMDavenport)
wrote:

>I am capturing old analog Hi-8 video recordings through my Sony TRV740
>to my PC via firewire using the analog to digital pass-through
>capability of the TRV740. I'm using Windows MovieMaker to do the
>capture and save to an AVI. Whether I set the audio on the TRV740 to
>12-bit or 16-bit, the audio still comes out with a 32khz sampling
>rate.
>
>From other posts I've read, it seems that 12-bit equates to 32khz and
>16-bit equates to 48khz. This does not seem to be the case for me.
>
>Is there a way to force the audio to capture at 48khz? I'd rather not
>have to upsample the audio to 48khz after capturing.

I have the same camera model, and I can't remember what happened
with the Hi8 I captured with it. It could be that the Hi8 playback is
locked at the lower sampling rate, not affected by the setting for
digital recording.

In which case, you are stuck resampling. 32 to 48 isn't a bad ratio
though. I don't know if Moviemaker does it on the fly or not.

The data width is not associated with the sample rate. 12 bits. Simply means
the data represents the values from 0-4095.

That said, I recall most 32 Khz sample rates used only 12 bit data so your
assumption is not entirely incorrect. I too would assume that setting the
sample width to 16 bit would set the camera to 48Khz, if there is no setting
for it elsewhere