Desktop has an ad from a security site, that won't go away..

bennie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

I have this security site that has an ad with the ad below:

ALL YOU DO WITH COMPUTER IS STORED FOREVER IN YOUR HARD DISK. WHEN YOU VISIT SITES, SEND EMAILS... ALL YOUR ACTIONS ARE LOGGED. AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THEM WITH STANDARD TOOLS. YOUR DATA IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FORENSICS. AND IN SOME CASES FOR YOUR BOSS, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN.

Every site you or somebody or even something, like spyware, opened in your browser, with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed movies or mp3 songs - ARE STILL THERE and could broke your life!

SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!

Removal instructions

When I click on the removal instructions, it sends me to this site: http://www.smart-security.info/?affid=UD-US-1061

I cannot contact anyone from this site to help remove the ad from my desktop, and it's helpful to know, but annoying that their ad is up on my MS Window's Xp Desktop and will not remove from it. I would like to report this to Microsoft to see what they would say, but I do not know how to get hold of them for that either.

Thanks

Any help will do.

Respectfully Yours,

Bennie9318@Juno.com

By clicking on "remove" you have just confirmed to the originators
that you actually take time to read their ads and respond. Now they
know to send you more.... They are not offering a service, they are
fishing for victims.

Removal depends on a method they use. It _might_ be using "messenger"
service. If you are a standalone home user this service can safely be
stopped.

Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Stop it and change it to "disabled"...

mj

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:51:06 -0700, Bennie <Bennie9318@juno.com> wrote:

>I have this security site that has an ad with the ad below:
>
>ALL YOU DO WITH COMPUTER IS STORED FOREVER IN YOUR HARD DISK. WHEN YOU VISIT SITES, SEND EMAILS... ALL YOUR ACTIONS ARE LOGGED. AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THEM WITH STANDARD TOOLS. YOUR DATA IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FORENSICS. AND IN SOME CASES FOR YOUR BOSS, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN.
>
>Every site you or somebody or even something, like spyware, opened in your browser, with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed movies or mp3 songs - ARE STILL THERE and could broke your life!
>

>SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!
>
>Removal instructions
>
>When I click on the removal instructions, it sends me to this site: http://www.smart-security.info/?affid=UD-US-1061
>
>I cannot contact anyone from this site to help remove the ad from my desktop, and it's helpful to know, but annoying that their ad is up on my MS Window's Xp Desktop and will not remove from it. I would like to report this to Microsoft to see what they would say, but I do not know how to get hold of them for that either.
>
>Thanks
>
>Any help will do.
>
>Respectfully Yours,
>

>Bennie9318@Juno.com

They claim, here:

http://www.smart-security.info/removal.html

that if you download their executable and run it according to the
instructions at the above page, it will remove the ad.

They also claim that it can be disabled via the control panel, but don't
give instructions.

I would right-click on your desktop, choose properties, and look at all the
options--look for Active Desktop, or web tabs, and see what you find that
you can uncheck or disable.

"Bennie" <Bennie9318@juno.com> wrote in message

> I have this security site that has an ad with the ad below:
>
> ALL YOU DO WITH COMPUTER IS STORED FOREVER IN YOUR HARD DISK. WHEN YOU
> VISIT SITES, SEND EMAILS... ALL YOUR ACTIONS ARE LOGGED. AND IT IS
> IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THEM WITH STANDARD TOOLS. YOUR DATA IS STILL
> AVAILABLE FOR FORENSICS. AND IN SOME CASES FOR YOUR BOSS, YOUR FRIENDS,
> YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN.
>
> Every site you or somebody or even something, like spyware, opened in your
> browser, with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed
> movies or mp3 songs - ARE STILL THERE and could broke your life!
>

> SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!
>
> Removal instructions
>
> When I click on the removal instructions, it sends me to this site:
> http://www.smart-security.info/?affid=UD-US-1061
>
> I cannot contact anyone from this site to help remove the ad from my
> desktop, and it's helpful to know, but annoying that their ad is up on my
> MS Window's Xp Desktop and will not remove from it. I would like to
> to get hold of them for that either.
>
> Thanks
>
> Any help will do.
>
> Respectfully Yours,
>

> Bennie9318@Juno.com

Go to your control panel, double click display,click the desktop
tab,click customize desktop, click the web tab. uncheck "lock desktop
items" if it's checked, The offensive web page should appear there,
uncheck it and delete it, close your browser and restart, A reboot
"may" be necessary.

mariand

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

:wahoo: Thank you so much for posting this fix. These dirty scoundrels are still at it in 2011. Luckily we had a 2nd desktop and were able to track down your answer. Sooooo many thanks again.