How Do I Use Web Connection Remote Desktop Utility?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have Remote Desktop working fine with WinXP, but
sometimes I am not at a WinXP machine or at one that has
Remote Desktop available. I downloaded the Web Connection
Utility of Remote Desktop so that I can still use it to
access my home computer, but how do I get this to work? I
installed it but now do I have to publish a webpage with
it embedded and what do I type in an IE page on the client
computer, http://myipaddressoftheremotecomputer/tsweb?

The Web Connection Utility is supposed to be installed on
the remote computer right? Any help would be greatly
appreciated
9 answers Last reply
More about connection remote desktop utility
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You can use any publicly accessible web client. Once you visit one of
    these sites, you use it in the same manner as if you use the
    executable version...

    If you want one to use without having to host it yourself, you can use
    the one I put up at http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=62
    (this one supports different ports, etc.)

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 05:32:13 -0700, "GARY"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have Remote Desktop working fine with WinXP, but
    >sometimes I am not at a WinXP machine or at one that has
    >Remote Desktop available. I downloaded the Web Connection
    >Utility of Remote Desktop so that I can still use it to
    >access my home computer, but how do I get this to work? I
    >installed it but now do I have to publish a webpage with
    >it embedded and what do I type in an IE page on the client
    >computer, http://myipaddressoftheremotecomputer/tsweb?
    >
    >The Web Connection Utility is supposed to be installed on
    >the remote computer right? Any help would be greatly
    >appreciated
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    When I clicked on the link that you are hosting, it
    said "the ActiveX control could not be installed. A
    connection cannot be made without a working installed
    version of the control. Please contact server admin"

    I am sure I can get Web Connection to work, I just don't
    understand what I'm supposed to do. On the home computer
    I installed the Web Connection Utility, added the folder
    in C:/Windows/Web/TSWeb like it said to. I went to
    add/remove programs and added IIS services component and I
    made sure the Remote Desktop was enabled in the Windows
    Control Panel (regular RD works so it was). I forwarded
    the port numbers 80 and 3389 with my router. I understand
    that from a remote computer I just type in
    http://IPaddress/tsweb. But what am I missing - do I need
    to publish the tsweb files to my webserver or host them or
    what? Do I need to make a webpage and embed the ActiveX
    control or something? I don't understand what to do b/c
    the Web Connection instructions just say to download the
    utility and put it in the TSweb folder and that's it.


    >-----Original Message-----
    >You can use any publicly accessible web client. Once you
    visit one of
    >these sites, you use it in the same manner as if you use
    the
    >executable version...
    >
    >If you want one to use without having to host it
    yourself, you can use
    >the one I put up at
    http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=62
    >(this one supports different ports, etc.)
    >
    >Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >
    >Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the
    benefit
    >of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
    not
    >be answered depending on time availability....
    >
    >Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >Windows XP Expert Zone -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >
    >On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 05:32:13 -0700, "GARY"
    ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have Remote Desktop working fine with WinXP, but
    >>sometimes I am not at a WinXP machine or at one that has
    >>Remote Desktop available. I downloaded the Web
    Connection
    >>Utility of Remote Desktop so that I can still use it to
    >>access my home computer, but how do I get this to work?
    I
    >>installed it but now do I have to publish a webpage with
    >>it embedded and what do I type in an IE page on the
    client
    >>computer, http://myipaddressoftheremotecomputer/tsweb?
    >>
    >>The Web Connection Utility is supposed to be installed
    on
    >>the remote computer right? Any help would be greatly
    >>appreciated
    >
    >.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hi,

    You may consider using remote desktop itself , all you need to do is
    install remote desktop connection client on the client computer.
    The Remote Desktop Connection client software allows a computer running
    Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT
    4.0 or Windows 2000 to control your Windows XP Professional computer
    remotely. The client software is available on the installation CD for
    Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition. The client software is
    installed by default on computers running Windows XP Professional and
    Windows XP Home Edition.
    To install Remote Desktop Connection software on a client computer:
    Insert the Windows XP compact disc into your CD–ROM drive.
    When the Welcome page appears, click Perform additional tasks, and then
    click Setup Remote Desktop Connection as shown below.
    When the installation wizard starts, follow the directions that appear on
    your screen.


    However if you still wish to go for remote desktop web connection, here is
    the information.
    The Remote Desktop Web Connection is the Remote Desktop Connection client
    packaged as an ActiveX® control that can be embedded in a Web page to
    provide access to a Terminal Server or a computer running Windows XP
    Professional with Remote Desktop enabled.

    With the Remote Desktop Web Connection, you can start a remote desktop
    connection from your Web browser. To do so, point your browser to a server
    that is configured with Remote Desktop Web Connection, download an ActiveX
    control, and then connect to a Windows XP-based server with Remote Desktop.
    Client computers may also connect to a Microsoft Windows 2000-based server
    or to a server that is running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server
    Edition.

    Requirements for Remote Desktop Web Connection
    - On the server side, you need Internet Information Server 4.0 or later.
    Windows XP Professional comes with Internet Information Server 5.1 out of
    the box.
    - On the client side, it will only run on the Windows 9x, Windows Millenium
    Edition (Windows Me), Windows NT (Intel only), and Windows 2000 operating
    systems using Internet Explorer 4 or later. It is not supported on any
    other platform

    You must be running Windows XP Professional and using its Internet
    Information Services (IIS) to host a Web site on the Internet to use this
    feature.
    You can download the software on this page and run setup to install the
    ActiveX control and sample Web page on your Windows XP Professional
    computer running IIS.

    Remote Desktop Connection Web Connection Software Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdwebconn.asp

    When setup asks Where would you like to place the sample web pages
    directory? enter C:\Windows\Web\TSWeb. Click OK.
    If the TsWeb folder does not exist, setup will ask if you want to create
    it. Click Yes.


    After Installing Remote Desktop web connection on the remote windows xp
    computer,
    To start the Remote Desktop Web Connection, type the following URL in a
    client computer's Internet browser, where servername is the name of your
    server:
    http://servername/tsweb


    You may also like to visit:

    Remote desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/de
    fault.asp

    Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284931

    Embedding the Remote Desktop ActiveX Control in a Web Page
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/te
    rmserv/embedding_the_remote_desktop_activex_control_in_a_web_page.asp


    Hope this helps.

    With Regards,

    Asima

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    If you are using ICF (internet connection firewall), make sure you
    allow IIS to work throught it also (in addition to the router)

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:12:24 -0700, "GARY"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I clicked on the link that you are hosting, it
    >said "the ActiveX control could not be installed. A
    >connection cannot be made without a working installed
    >version of the control. Please contact server admin"
    >
    >I am sure I can get Web Connection to work, I just don't
    >understand what I'm supposed to do. On the home computer
    >I installed the Web Connection Utility, added the folder
    >in C:/Windows/Web/TSWeb like it said to. I went to
    >add/remove programs and added IIS services component and I
    >made sure the Remote Desktop was enabled in the Windows
    >Control Panel (regular RD works so it was). I forwarded
    >the port numbers 80 and 3389 with my router. I understand
    >that from a remote computer I just type in
    >http://IPaddress/tsweb. But what am I missing - do I need
    >to publish the tsweb files to my webserver or host them or
    >what? Do I need to make a webpage and embed the ActiveX
    >control or something? I don't understand what to do b/c
    >the Web Connection instructions just say to download the
    >utility and put it in the TSweb folder and that's it.
    >
    >
    >>-----Original Message-----
    >>You can use any publicly accessible web client. Once you
    >visit one of
    >>these sites, you use it in the same manner as if you use
    >the
    >>executable version...
    >>
    >>If you want one to use without having to host it
    >yourself, you can use
    >>the one I put up at
    >http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=62
    >>(this one supports different ports, etc.)
    >>
    >>Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >>jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >>Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the
    >benefit
    >>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
    >not
    >>be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>Windows XP Expert Zone -
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >>On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 05:32:13 -0700, "GARY"
    >><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have Remote Desktop working fine with WinXP, but
    >>>sometimes I am not at a WinXP machine or at one that has
    >>>Remote Desktop available. I downloaded the Web
    >Connection
    >>>Utility of Remote Desktop so that I can still use it to
    >>>access my home computer, but how do I get this to work?
    >I
    >>>installed it but now do I have to publish a webpage with
    >>>it embedded and what do I type in an IE page on the
    >client
    >>>computer, http://myipaddressoftheremotecomputer/tsweb?
    >>>
    >>>The Web Connection Utility is supposed to be installed
    >on
    >>>the remote computer right? Any help would be greatly
    >>>appreciated
    >>
    >>.
    >>
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I have Remote Desktop and the Web Version working well now and I am hosting the ActiveX control on my site so I just go to the web address and then enter my IP and connect. However, it does not have an option to connect the remote drives like the regular RD utility has but I noticed that at this other hoster's link http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=62 his page does have that option. How do I change my default.htm page so that I can connect to the local drives or after connected to the other computer is there a way to connect to the drives? Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I downloaded the more advanced RD Web default.htm page from that one link but when I try to connect with that page it says that Remote Desktop could not download the ActiveX b/c a working copy of the control isn't available or something like that and to contact the Server Admin. I did notice that on that one page, there was a mention that it only worked for Win Server 2003 or something yet I have XP and Win2000. So I need the regular default.htm file but just changed so that I have the option to connect to the drives as well or a workaround so that after connected I can connect to the drives, i just don't know how
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I re-scripted the web page to provide that functionality.

    http://www.smartdisplays.net/LinkClick.aspx?link=revised_rdwc.zip&mid=365

    That is the link to the revised default.htm file that provides port
    redirection and local resources...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone


    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:07:11 -0700, "GARY"
    <GARY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have Remote Desktop and the Web Version working well now and I am hosting the ActiveX control on my site so I just go to the web address and then enter my IP and connect. However, it does not have an option to connect the remote drives like the regular RD utility has but I noticed that at this other hoster's link http://www.smartdisplays.net/Default.aspx?tabid=62 his page does have that option. How do I change my default.htm page so that I can connect to the local drives or after connected to the other computer is there a way to connect to the drives? Thanks.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    It only has the new default.htm file.. Put it in the C:\WINDOWS\WEB
    directory... You still must have had the MS-client installed...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:09:46 -0700, "GARY"
    <GARY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I downloaded the more advanced RD Web default.htm page from that one link but when I try to connect with that page it says that Remote Desktop could not download the ActiveX b/c a working copy of the control isn't available or something like that and to contact the Server Admin. I did notice that on that one page, there was a mention that it only worked for Win Server 2003 or something yet I have XP and Win2000. So I need the regular default.htm file but just changed so that I have the option to connect to the drives as well or a workaround so that after connected I can connect to the drives, i just don't know how
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hello,
    I tried the regular default.htm page, the advanced one from your page, and the new default.htm advanced one that you linked for me. only the original default.htm one works though. When I try the other ones, an error comes up that says "VBScript: Remote Desktop Web Connection ActiveX control could not be installed. A connection cannot be made without a working installed version of the control. Please contact the server administrator". I noticed on the default.htm pages that you linked that it says it only works for Windows 2003 Server consoles. Is this why it's not working for me? Why is it saying the ActiveX control isn't the working installed version? I took the new default.htm page and put it in C:/Windows/Web/TSWeb (replaced the original one) and then published the entire folder to my webspace with the new default.htm page as well. That doesn't work but the original default.htm page works. Did I not install the "new" default.htm correctly or will it not work with WinXP or something?

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > It only has the new default.htm file.. Put it in the C:\WINDOWS\WEB
    > directory... You still must have had the MS-client installed...
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >
    > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    > be answered depending on time availability....
    >
    > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:09:46 -0700, "GARY"
    > <GARY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I downloaded the more advanced RD Web default.htm page from that one link but when I try to connect with that page it says that Remote Desktop could not download the ActiveX b/c a working copy of the control isn't available or something like that and to contact the Server Admin. I did notice that on that one page, there was a mention that it only worked for Win Server 2003 or something yet I have XP and Win2000. So I need the regular default.htm file but just changed so that I have the option to connect to the drives as well or a workaround so that after connected I can connect to the drives, i just don't know how
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP