Encoding video for streaming with low bit-rate

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Does any encoder+codec allow the encoding to be optimized around a
specific bit-rate?

I'm planning on streaming video in a lab environment where my only true
constraint is an 1.5Mb link between the client and the video server.
The client will be running Windows and the Server can run Windows or
Linux. I've been investigating the open source VideoLAN client and
server for streaming, but am not married to that choice.

My source material will be a standard DVD (MPEG2), that I plan to encode
to a file; I have no need for real-time encoding. I'd like the material
to include some high-motion content (think car chase) and I'd like to
use the natural resolution of the material (640x360 for 16:9 or 640x480
for 4:3), but I realize I'll probably need to make tradeoffs to get the
bit rate under 1.5Mb/s. Based on the available bandwidth, I thinking
that MPEG4 encoding is the way to go and am looking at the Xvid codec
with Virtualdub. Because I'm a newbie, I'm not sure if Xvid and/or
Virtualdub will allow the bitrate to "drive" the encoding.

I've been searching, but haven't found any good FAQs or tutorials on
encoding content for streaming at fixed bit rates (network bandwidth bit
rates).

Any pointers will be appreciated.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, User wrote:

> The client will be running Windows and the Server can run Windows or
> Linux. I've been investigating the open source VideoLAN client and
> server for streaming, but am not married to that choice.

Windows Media Services is worth a look as long as the server is 2K
Server (not Professional) or 2K3. 2K supports WMS 4.1 while 2K3 runs WMS 9
(naturally, 9 is the version right after 4.1).

The Windows Media Encoder supports bit rate VBR so you can specify 1.5Mb
as the peak. Streaming is easy once WMS is up, just plop the files in an
"on-demand" folder for linking.

--
http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/

Andre

User wrote:
> Does any encoder+codec allow the encoding to be optimized around a
> specific bit-rate?
>

> I'm planning on streaming video in a lab environment where my only true
> constraint is an 1.5Mb link between the client and the video server.
> The client will be running Windows and the Server can run Windows or
> Linux. I've been investigating the open source VideoLAN client and
> server for streaming, but am not married to that choice.
>
> My source material will be a standard DVD (MPEG2), that I plan to encode
> to a file; I have no need for real-time encoding. I'd like the material
> to include some high-motion content (think car chase) and I'd like to
> use the natural resolution of the material (640x360 for 16:9 or 640x480
> for 4:3), but I realize I'll probably need to make tradeoffs to get the
> bit rate under 1.5Mb/s. Based on the available bandwidth, I thinking
> that MPEG4 encoding is the way to go and am looking at the Xvid codec
> with Virtualdub. Because I'm a newbie, I'm not sure if Xvid and/or
> Virtualdub will allow the bitrate to "drive" the encoding.
>
> I've been searching, but haven't found any good FAQs or tutorials on
> encoding content for streaming at fixed bit rates (network bandwidth bit
> rates).
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.

VLC in combination with XviD or DviX should give exeptional quality even
at lower bitrates.

Andre

--
http://www.aguntherphotography.com