advice needed for editing menus on dvd-vr discs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 8, 2004 5:59:49 AM

Hi Guys,

Just want to say Thanks in advance for any help. I use premiere and encore
for making my videos and dvd's and understand all that is involved in making
dvd-video compliant dvd's.

However recently I discovered that there is an easy way to take dvd's made
with my standalone philips dvd recorder and quickly edit the menu's on my pc
to give them a more finished look than the standard philips thumbnails.

I found this real interesting to know. Apparently these standalone dvd's
aren't authored in the normal dvd-video format but rather in a more editable
dvd-vr, or in my case I guess, dvd+vr. It has to be a rewriteable disc of
course.
I already downloaded 2 programs to test this, first the cyberlink producer2
platinum, it has a 30 minute limit so I couldn't really test it on most of
my already made discs but did work with a quick test disc I made.

Then I downloaded the Ulead Movie Factory3, and it also worked in allowing
me to change the look of the DVD, the background, even add a startup clip,
easily change chapter points etc.
Both products made a finished dvd that played on all of my dvd players even
the recorder but of course the recorder no longer was able to add to these
discs again, unless you erase them on the pc first.

I wasn't really happy with the editing features, for instance, I want a fast
way to remove commercials, in either product.
And both had lots of features I really didn't need.

I was just wondering cause I guess this is a new area, dvdhelp.com had no
info for me, does anyone here know of a better
product out there made for just this purpose?

Something simple that will take an already recorded program from a
standalone recorder, allow you to open it on a PC, edit out the commercials
quickly, (hide them, whatever), add a nice background shot, a quick title,
some new thumbnails and close up the session again. This would be a great
piece of software to have!
On top of all our pro editing and authoring stuff.
it would allow quick editing of standalone disc to resemble professionally
authored discs and easy tv show backups.

Thanks in advance,
AnthonyR
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 5:59:50 AM

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
news:p wm9d.155047$4h7.28251130@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just want to say Thanks in advance for any help. I use premiere and encore
> for making my videos and dvd's and understand all that is involved in
> making dvd-video compliant dvd's.
>
> However recently I discovered that there is an easy way to take dvd's made
> with my standalone philips dvd recorder and quickly edit the menu's on my
> pc to give them a more finished look than the standard philips thumbnails.
>
> I found this real interesting to know. Apparently these standalone dvd's
> aren't authored in the normal dvd-video format but rather in a more
> editable dvd-vr, or in my case I guess, dvd+vr. It has to be a rewriteable
> disc of course.
> I already downloaded 2 programs to test this, first the cyberlink
> producer2 platinum, it has a 30 minute limit so I couldn't really test it
> on most of my already made discs but did work with a quick test disc I
> made.
>
> Then I downloaded the Ulead Movie Factory3, and it also worked in allowing
> me to change the look of the DVD, the background, even add a startup clip,
> easily change chapter points etc.
> Both products made a finished dvd that played on all of my dvd players
> even the recorder but of course the recorder no longer was able to add to
> these discs again, unless you erase them on the pc first.
>
> I wasn't really happy with the editing features, for instance, I want a
> fast way to remove commercials, in either product.
> And both had lots of features I really didn't need.
>
> I was just wondering cause I guess this is a new area, dvdhelp.com had no
> info for me, does anyone here know of a better
> product out there made for just this purpose?
>
> Something simple that will take an already recorded program from a
> standalone recorder, allow you to open it on a PC, edit out the
> commercials quickly, (hide them, whatever), add a nice background shot, a
> quick title, some new thumbnails and close up the session again. This
> would be a great piece of software to have!
> On top of all our pro editing and authoring stuff.
> it would allow quick editing of standalone disc to resemble professionally
> authored discs and easy tv show backups.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> AnthonyR

You may be able to use TMPGEnc DVD Author, it will accept
some DVD Recorder disks. You might run it through VideoReDo
first, it will do frame accurate cuts and is very fast.

Luck;
Ken
October 8, 2004 10:09:49 PM

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
> news:p wm9d.155047$4h7.28251130@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Just want to say Thanks in advance for any help. >> Something simple that
>> will take an already recorded program from a standalone recorder, allow
>> you to open it on a PC, edit out the commercials quickly, (hide them,
>> whatever), add a nice background shot, a quick title, some new thumbnails
>> and close up the session again. This would be a great piece of software
>> to have!
>> On top of all our pro editing and authoring stuff.
>> it would allow quick editing of standalone disc to resemble
>> professionally authored discs and easy tv show backups.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> AnthonyR
>
> You may be able to use TMPGEnc DVD Author, it will accept
> some DVD Recorder disks. You might run it through VideoReDo
> first, it will do frame accurate cuts and is very fast.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Ken,
Thanks for the reply, last night I downloaded neoDVD6 for $49 then realized
I needed the ac3 encoder for another $15 to edit the dolby digital files my
philips standalone makes.
So far I am not happy with it at all. They claim the fastest rendering and
encoding speed, fine but I don't need to re-encode just remove some
commercials and re-arrange the thumbnails and add a better background, all
things they said it could do.
What I am not satisfied with so far, is the painstakingly slow speed to try
and edit the video!
You drag the pointer over a tiny amount and need to wait!! and wait! and
wait. At this pace, just finding where the commercials are has caused me to
get more grey hair, lol. Both from frustration and the time it takes, LOL.

So I'll give it a few more days to play with and then take them up on their
30 day refund policy, I guess.
I wish it worked better on my system.

Thanks for the tip on TMPGEnc DVD Author, if they have a demo, I will go get
it now, can't wait to try something that actually works at this task. Too
bad Premiere Pro doesn't allow editing of these DVD+VR files.
Thanks again,
AnthonyR.
October 8, 2004 10:09:50 PM

> Ken,
> Thanks for the reply, last night I downloaded neoDVD6 for $49 then
> realized I needed the ac3 encoder for another $15 to edit the dolby
> digital files my philips standalone makes.
> So far I am not happy with it at all. They claim the fastest rendering and
> encoding speed, fine but I don't need to re-encode just remove some
> commercials and re-arrange the thumbnails and add a better background, all
> things they said it could do.
> What I am not satisfied with so far, is the painstakingly slow speed to
> try and edit the video!
> You drag the pointer over a tiny amount and need to wait!! and wait! and
> wait. At this pace, just finding where the commercials are has caused me
> to get more grey hair, lol. Both from frustration and the time it takes,
> LOL.
>
> So I'll give it a few more days to play with and then take them up on
> their 30 day refund policy, I guess.
> I wish it worked better on my system.
>
> Thanks for the tip on TMPGEnc DVD Author, if they have a demo, I will go
> get it now, can't wait to try something that actually works at this task.
> Too bad Premiere Pro doesn't allow editing of these DVD+VR files.
> Thanks again,
> AnthonyR.

TMPGEnc DVD Author www.pegasys-inc.com has a free
30 day demo; but it also requires a plug-in for AC-3 that you
have to pay for. It may be that it will recognize the one you
have on your system now and use that.

If VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com works with your
"VR" files, you are in for a major surprise when you edit
commercials. Try it and post your impression.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:09:51 PM

> "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Ken,
>> Thanks for the reply, last night I downloaded neoDVD6 for $49 then
>> realized I needed the ac3 encoder for another $15 to edit the dolby
>> digital files my philips standalone makes.
>> So far I am not happy with it at all. They claim the fastest rendering
>> and encoding speed, fine but I don't need to re-encode just remove some
>> commercials and re-arrange the thumbnails and add a better background,
>> all things they said it could do.
>> What I am not satisfied with so far, is the painstakingly slow speed to
>> try and edit the video!
>> You drag the pointer over a tiny amount and need to wait!! and wait! and
>> wait. At this pace, just finding where the commercials are has caused me
>> to get more grey hair, lol. Both from frustration and the time it takes,
>> LOL.
>>
>> So I'll give it a few more days to play with and then take them up on
>> their 30 day refund policy, I guess.
>> I wish it worked better on my system.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip on TMPGEnc DVD Author, if they have a demo, I will go
>> get it now, can't wait to try something that actually works at this task.
>> Too bad Premiere Pro doesn't allow editing of these DVD+VR files.
>> Thanks again,
>> AnthonyR.
>>

> TMPGEnc DVD Author www.pegasys-inc.com has a free
> 30 day demo; but it also requires a plug-in for AC-3 that you
> have to pay for. It may be that it will recognize the one you
> have on your system now and use that.

**Slight correction ***

TMPGEnc DVD Author will process the AC-3 audio
without the plug-in and it will be correct on the finished
DVD. You just won't hear any sound as you edit/author
the DVD. It seems that the royalty that must be paid is for
"Playback" of the AC-3 format. In fact, if you want to use
existing AC-3 audio with more than 2 (Stereo) channels,
like 5.1 then you would turn off the plug-in anyway.

> If VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com works with your
> "VR" files, you are in for a major surprise when you edit
> commercials. Try it and post your impression.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

October 9, 2004 1:58:57 AM

> **Slight correction ***
>
> TMPGEnc DVD Author will process the AC-3 audio
> without the plug-in and it will be correct on the finished
> DVD. You just won't hear any sound as you edit/author
> the DVD. It seems that the royalty that must be paid is for
> "Playback" of the AC-3 format. In fact, if you want to use
> existing AC-3 audio with more than 2 (Stereo) channels,
> like 5.1 then you would turn off the plug-in anyway.
>

>> If VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com works with your
>> "VR" files, you are in for a major surprise when you edit
>> commercials. Try it and post your impression.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken

Ken,
Thanks again,
I downloaded the 30 day trial of DVD Author it recognized my video files on
the dvd+vr disc and allowed me to do some simple editing, it recommended I
transfer the files to the HD for editing as DVD drives are much slower. I
didn't bother trying that option yet because I wanted to compare it to what
the editing was like from the disc. The menu process was very simple, I
selected a screencapture jpg I had made in another program as the background
and let it make a thumbnail for every chapter. Simple, at the moment it is
transferring the files to the finished product located on my HD which I
guess I will have to burn to another dvd afterwards. So far has been working
for about 70 minutes and says its got 100 more to go.
It should make a finished DVD-Video Disc in the end.
This is however longer than I had hoped something like this would take.
I was planning a simple process and menu change that would just change the
files on the disc and not need to re-author anything, but at least it was
able to read the mpeg vob files off the standalone disc, that's something.

Next I will try the VideoReDo software and see what that's about, I like
surprises. LOL
:)
I'll keep you posted, Thanks
AnthonyR.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 2:59:12 AM

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>

>> **Slight correction ***
>>
>> TMPGEnc DVD Author will process the AC-3 audio
>> without the plug-in and it will be correct on the finished
>> DVD. You just won't hear any sound as you edit/author
>> the DVD. It seems that the royalty that must be paid is for
>> "Playback" of the AC-3 format. In fact, if you want to use
>> existing AC-3 audio with more than 2 (Stereo) channels,
>> like 5.1 then you would turn off the plug-in anyway.
>>

>>> If VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com works with your
>>> "VR" files, you are in for a major surprise when you edit
>>> commercials. Try it and post your impression.
>>>
>>> Luck;
>>> Ken
>>>

> Ken,
> Thanks again,
> I downloaded the 30 day trial of DVD Author it recognized my video files
> on the dvd+vr disc and allowed me to do some simple editing, it
> recommended I transfer the files to the HD for editing as DVD drives are
> much slower. I didn't bother trying that option yet because I wanted to
> compare it to what the editing was like from the disc. The menu process
> was very simple, I selected a screencapture jpg I had made in another
> program as the background and let it make a thumbnail for every chapter.
> Simple, at the moment it is transferring the files to the finished product
> located on my HD which I guess I will have to burn to another dvd
> afterwards. So far has been working for about 70 minutes and says its got
> 100 more to go.
> It should make a finished DVD-Video Disc in the end.
> This is however longer than I had hoped something like this would take.
> I was planning a simple process and menu change that would just change the
> files on the disc and not need to re-author anything, but at least it was
> able to read the mpeg vob files off the standalone disc, that's something.

When I do a full DVD using files on the hard drive it takes ~15min. to
make the VIDEO_TS folder. Using the built-in burner it took ~15min.
to burn @ 4.5X and takes ~10min. @ 6X now.

I would advise having it transfer the files to your hard drive, for
two reasons; it is a lot faster and it results in a folder with
sequentially numbered DVD compliant MPEG files. These files
can be used with VideoReDo and/or any other program that
works with MPEG files. If you also check the chapter box, it
will provide a MPEG file for each chapter.

> Next I will try the VideoReDo software and see what that's about, I like
> surprises. LOL
> :)
> I'll keep you posted, Thanks
> AnthonyR.

October 9, 2004 3:32:07 AM

Ken,
VideoReDo looks promising for quick editing of mpeg and vob files. Sort of
like Womble MPEG Editor I had tried a year or so ago. There is a quick
tutorial on how to get vob files correctly off the standalone dvd's using
DVDDecrypter.
http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/ExtractStreamsFromD...

Sounds pretty simple enough, although adds another step and more time. I
will download the demo, go through the process and then decide which
authoring software will accept the VideoReDo files and see how long it all
takes.
Hopefully the mpg files will be compatible with adobe encore, which I
currently use, if not then i guess I might have to keep
the neoDVD or buy TMPGEnc DVD Author to finish off the discs.

Thanks again,
AnthonyR.
!