New to video and have Q's

VeX

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003

Greetings,
I'm new to the world of video and I'm trying to put together a system here
that will record multiple video streams that can be edited after the fact to
create a dvd.

I'm thinking what I need to do is find a video capture card that will record
multiple streams at the same time and then edit the streams to make my dvd
content?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-- Brett

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, 'Wow-What a Ride!' "

rs

Not clear on what your envisioning here. I get this picture of you wanting
to record TV chanels at once and then edit things or something.

I don't think you will find any capture cards, at least not those you might
contemplate affording, that can capture multiple streams.

Now, if what you mean is take multiple source files and edit them together,
then thats a horse of different color. I'm a straight firewire DV camera
capture person myself, but others here can give excellent recommendations on
capture cards.

The step after that is the actual editing, and for that, you rely on a
software package. Many to choose from in a number of level of price and
sophistication.

"vex" <vex@nospamvexicon.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I'm new to the world of video and I'm trying to put together a system
here
> that will record multiple video streams that can be edited after the fact
> create a dvd.
>
> I'm thinking what I need to do is find a video capture card that will
record
> multiple streams at the same time and then edit the streams to make my dvd
> content?
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>

> -- Brett

> "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
> safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside,
> thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, 'Wow-What a Ride!'
"

VeX

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003

"RS" wrote:

> Not clear on what your envisioning here. I get this picture of you wanting
> to record TV chanels at once and then edit things or something.
>
> I don't think you will find any capture cards, at least not those you
might
> contemplate affording, that can capture multiple streams.

I'm envisioning a commission meeting room with three stationary cameras
mounted, one at the commissioners, one at the directors, and one at a
podium. My original thought was to take all three video streams and pull the
audio stream down from our mixer and capture them on disk. Then edit them
later on down the road and burn the meeting to dvd.

I'm not adverse to trying other ideas, this is just the one that seemed to
make the most sense to me. But, I don't even know if it can be done. I'm
quite the neophyte at this...

--Brett

> "RS" wrote:
>
>> Not clear on what your envisioning here. I get this picture of you
>> wanting
>> to record TV chanels at once and then edit things or something.
>>
>> I don't think you will find any capture cards, at least not those you
> might
>> contemplate affording, that can capture multiple streams.
>

> I'm envisioning a commission meeting room with three stationary cameras
> mounted, one at the commissioners, one at the directors, and one at a
> podium. My original thought was to take all three video streams and pull
> the
> audio stream down from our mixer and capture them on disk. Then edit them
> later on down the road and burn the meeting to dvd.
>
> I'm not adverse to trying other ideas, this is just the one that seemed to
> make the most sense to me. But, I don't even know if it can be done. I'm
> quite the neophyte at this...
>

> --Brett

I'm not sure that there is sufficient bandwidth on a normal
PCI bus to support 3ea high bitrate AV streams going to
your hard drive(s), at the same time. (Maybe someone
can [and will] do the math for us) If that's not a problem
then I would use 3ea. of the best Hardware encoders that
my budget would support. Each of these would produce
their own MPEG files. I might try directing the output of
each card to a different SATA drive.

You could then use the new DVDLab Pro to edit and
create your DVD as it will allow you to integrate multiple
tracks: audio, video, and text. You might want to have
VideoReDo available also, as it is quite useful to anyone
working with MPEG files.

With this approach any "video neophyte" can obtain
high quality results. Any "more professional" read
"much more costly" approach would involve a steep
learning curve and/or an "artistic" ability, to produce
"better" results.

Luck;
Ken

Luck;
Ken

In article <10mdlsecjni1q8a@corp.supernews.com>, vex@nospamvexicon.com
(vex) wrote:

> I'm envisioning a commission meeting room with three stationary cameras
> mounted, one at the commissioners, one at the directors, and one at a
> podium. My original thought was to take all three video streams and
Just record it with the 3 cams to tape plus the audio on something else.
Then when editing, use the audio track as the master and sync all the
different video clips to it. You can then choose which cam view you wish
to show independent of the audio track.

Iain Laskey
Practical PC Online www.practicalpc.co.uk