file names on a VCD - acceptable formats

Can I choose filenames for my VCD? The master VCD I have
has 8 files, named from Avseq01.dat to Avseq08.dat . This
VCD runs properly on my DVD player.

While copying, can I change the names to 01dave.dat, 02dave.dat,
03anne.dat, etc. If I can do that, what are the constraints on
the name? Can it include a blank character, can the name be
20 or 32 or 64 characters-long? I remember trying to change
the names once before. But the DVD player showed only the
directory structure for this 'VCD with custom names'.
I have forgotten the details. Maybe I had chosen filenames
with more than 8 characters and that was the problem?
I would like custom names but the DVD player should play
it just like a normal VCD. If this is not possible,
I will stick with names as they are.

Please advise.

"naniwadekar" <nani3skip45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can I choose filenames for my VCD? The master VCD I have
> has 8 files, named from Avseq01.dat to Avseq08.dat . This
> VCD runs properly on my DVD player.
>
> While copying, can I change the names to 01dave.dat, 02dave.dat,
> 03anne.dat, etc. If I can do that, what are the constraints on
> the name? Can it include a blank character, can the name be
> 20 or 32 or 64 characters-long? I remember trying to change
> the names once before. But the DVD player showed only the
> directory structure for this 'VCD with custom names'.
> I have forgotten the details. Maybe I had chosen filenames
> with more than 8 characters and that was the problem?
> I would like custom names but the DVD player should play
> it just like a normal VCD. If this is not possible,
> I will stick with names as they are.
>
> Please advise.

Does your DVD Player have a manual? Does it have
a name? Does it have a model number?

Luck;
Ken

naniwadekar wrote:

>Can I choose filenames for my VCD? The master VCD I have
>has 8 files, named from Avseq01.dat to Avseq08.dat . This
>VCD runs properly on my DVD player.
>
>While copying, can I change the names to 01dave.dat, 02dave.dat,
>03anne.dat, etc. If I can do that, what are the constraints on
>the name? Can it include a blank character, can the name be
>20 or 32 or 64 characters-long? I remember trying to change
>the names once before. But the DVD player showed only the
>directory structure for this 'VCD with custom names'.
>I have forgotten the details. Maybe I had chosen filenames
>with more than 8 characters and that was the problem?
>I would like custom names but the DVD player should play
>it just like a normal VCD. If this is not possible,
>I will stick with names as they are.
>
>Please advise.

Your problem wasn't with the names you chose, it's in the way you
copied the VCD. A VCD consists of multiple tracks, a filesystem track
and a separate track for each video. VCD authoring programs know this
and create the disc properly.

You can not copy the VCD files to a computer and burn a data disc.
You end up with a data disc, not a VCD. It may have the same
filesystem as a VCD, but it will be a single track, not the VCD
multi-track format

If you want to copy a VCD, you must use the disc copy or duplicate
disc function of your burning software. That will preserve the VCD
tracks/layout.