Copy DVD Files - Windows Explorer

Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows Explorer?
Why doesn't it play?
--
C and A Bredt

Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?

If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
the new double layer format will change that.
If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> > Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> > Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.
> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
> burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
Nero/Roxio,
> etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare"
the
> DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
> RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>
> Mike

May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content scrambling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

Robert Morein wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
>> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
>> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
>> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
>> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>>
>> Mike
>>
> May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
> scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
it's not an issue worth mentioning.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.

I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where did
you get this info?

> > May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
> > scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
>

> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
> it's not an issue worth mentioning.
>
> Mike

I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly answers the
original poster's question...

Zakalwe wrote:
>>> May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
>>> scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
>>

>> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
>> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
> answers the original poster's question...

What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?

Mike

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>

> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
> did you get this info?

If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows. If you're referring
to the new dual/double layer format, places like Meritline have had the 8.5
GB discs and burners advertised for some time now.

> >> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
> >> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
> > answers the original poster's question...

> What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?
>
> Mike

It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your excellent
powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.

Robert Morein wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
>>> answers the original poster's question...

>> What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using
>> Windows Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy
>> protection"?
>>
>> Mike
>>
> It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your
> excellent powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.

As a corporate producer myself, maybe I don't want to help someone break the
copyright laws?

Mike

The reason is that the DVD is encoded in a special format. To play the
DVD, you need special software on top of Windows Explorer. To copy the
DVD, you need dedicated copy software.

Gary Hendricks
www.desktop-video-guide.com

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>
>>Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.
> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
> burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
> etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
> DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
> RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
>> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
>> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
>> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
>> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>
> Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
> you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Yes Gary, I am. The authoring apps that I've used create them though so
it's just another file that gets burned. In addition, I believe that having
the folder is a part of the DVD spec. I do stand to be corrected on the
latter.

> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>

>>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>>

>> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
>> did you get this info?
>

> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
> more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.

Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more than 4.7
Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything like that Mike.
DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G.
>>> Where did you get this info?
>>

>> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
>> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
>
> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.

Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?

> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
>>> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
>>
>> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
>> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
>> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
>

> Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
> layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
> of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
>
> Mike

Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a 'Hollywood'
DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction between DVD5 and
DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your statement.

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
>>> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
>>> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
>>

>> Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is
>> dual layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter &
>> the Chamber of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a
> 'Hollywood' DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction
> between DVD5 and DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your
> statement.

Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in the
average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs produced
that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but, as
I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
hear the word "commercial".
Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if
I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use at
this time.
Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

> Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
> as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in
> the
> average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs
> produced
> that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but,
> as
> I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
> hear the word "commercial".

Understood.. I always get a kick out of references to Hollywood.. living and
working in Los Angeles.. It is one of the ugliest places I know. Most of the
DVD hopuses I know still do a majority of DVD5 authoring. Especially for
packages without a lot of extras.

> Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
> using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me
> if
> I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use
> at
> this time.
> Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
> promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

I know.. for saome reason it will just barely be enough for what we are
trying to do with it. ;)