Copy DVD Files - Windows Explorer

Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows Explorer?
Why doesn't it play?
--
C and A Bredt
17 answers Last reply

    Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    > Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    > Explorer? Why doesn't it play?

    If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
    the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
    the new double layer format will change that.
    If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
    burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
    etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
    DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
    RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

    Mike

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    > > Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    > > Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >

    > If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
    > the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
    > the new double layer format will change that.
    > If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
    > burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
    Nero/Roxio,
    > etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare"
    the
    > DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
    > RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
    >
    > Mike

    May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content scrambling:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

    Robert Morein wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    >>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    >>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >>

    >> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
    >> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
    >> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
    >> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
    >> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
    >> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
    >> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
    >> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    > May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
    > scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

    Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
    it's not an issue worth mentioning.

    Mike

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    >> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    >> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >

    > If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
    > the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
    > the new double layer format will change that.

    I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where did
    you get this info?

    > > May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
    > > scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
    >

    > Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
    > it's not an issue worth mentioning.
    >
    > Mike

    I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly answers the
    original poster's question...

    Zakalwe wrote:
    >>> May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
    >>> scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
    >>

    >> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
    >> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
    > I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
    > answers the original poster's question...

    What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?

    Mike

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    >>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    >>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >>

    >> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
    >> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
    >> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
    >

    > I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
    > did you get this info?

    If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
    more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows. If you're referring
    to the new dual/double layer format, places like Meritline have had the 8.5
    GB discs and burners advertised for some time now.

    > >> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
    > >> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >
    > > I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
    > > answers the original poster's question...

    > What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    > Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?
    >
    > Mike

    It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your excellent
    powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.

    Robert Morein wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>> I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
    >>> answers the original poster's question...

    >> What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using
    >> Windows Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy
    >> protection"?
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    > It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your
    > excellent powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.

    As a corporate producer myself, maybe I don't want to help someone break the
    copyright laws?

    Mike

    The reason is that the DVD is encoded in a special format. To play the
    DVD, you need special software on top of Windows Explorer. To copy the
    DVD, you need dedicated copy software.

    Gary Hendricks
    www.desktop-video-guide.com

    Mike Kujbida wrote:

    > Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    >
    >>Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    >>Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >

    > If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
    > the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
    > the new double layer format will change that.
    > If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
    > burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
    > etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
    > DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
    > RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

    Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
    you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > Mike Kujbida wrote:
    >
    >> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
    >>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
    >>

    >> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
    >> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
    >> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
    >> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
    >> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
    >> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
    >> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
    >> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
    >
    > Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
    > you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Yes Gary, I am. The authoring apps that I've used create them though so
    it's just another file that gets burned. In addition, I believe that having
    the folder is a part of the DVD spec. I do stand to be corrected on the
    latter.

    > a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
    >>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
    >>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
    >>

    >> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
    >> did you get this info?
    >

    > If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
    > more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.

    Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more than 4.7
    Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything like that Mike.
    DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G.
    >>> Where did you get this info?
    >>

    >> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
    >> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
    >
    > Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
    > than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
    > like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.

    Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
    layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
    of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?

    > a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
    >>> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
    >>
    >> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
    >> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
    >> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
    >

    > Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
    > layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
    > of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
    >
    > Mike

    Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a 'Hollywood'
    DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction between DVD5 and
    DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your statement.

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
    >>> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
    >>> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
    >>

    >> Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is
    >> dual layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter &
    >> the Chamber of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a
    > 'Hollywood' DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction
    > between DVD5 and DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your
    > statement.

    Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
    as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in the
    average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs produced
    that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but, as
    I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
    hear the word "commercial".
    Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
    using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if
    I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use at
    this time.
    Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
    promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

    > Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
    > as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in
    > the
    > average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs
    > produced
    > that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but,
    > as
    > I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
    > hear the word "commercial".

    Understood.. I always get a kick out of references to Hollywood.. living and
    working in Los Angeles.. It is one of the ugliest places I know. Most of the
    DVD hopuses I know still do a majority of DVD5 authoring. Especially for
    packages without a lot of extras.

    > Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
    > using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me
    > if
    > I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use
    > at
    > this time.
    > Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
    > promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

    I know.. for saome reason it will just barely be enough for what we are
    trying to do with it. ;)

    > Mike

Tuner Cards Windows Explorer DVD Desktops Video Movies Graphics