Copy DVD Files - Windows Explorer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2004 2:09:46 AM

Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows Explorer?
Why doesn't it play?
--
C and A Bredt
Anonymous

Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?

If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
the new double layer format will change that.
If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

Mike
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 2:09:48 AM

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
> > Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> > Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.
> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
> burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
Nero/Roxio,
> etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare"
the
> DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
> RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>
> Mike

May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content scrambling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
October 10, 2004 2:09:49 AM

Robert Morein wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
>> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
>> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
>> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
>> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>>
>> Mike
>>
> May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
> scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
it's not an issue worth mentioning.

Mike
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 4:46:48 AM

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.

I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where did
you get this info?
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 5:27:44 AM

> > May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
> > scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
>

> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection system,
> it's not an issue worth mentioning.
>
> Mike

I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly answers the
original poster's question...

October 10, 2004 8:04:11 AM

Zakalwe wrote:
>>> May I suggest you add to the explanation a little about content
>>> scrambling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
>>

>> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
>> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
>>
>> Mike
>
> I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
> answers the original poster's question...

What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?

Mike
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 8:34:43 AM

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>

> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
> did you get this info?

If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows. If you're referring
to the new dual/double layer format, places like Meritline have had the 8.5
GB discs and burners advertised for some time now.

Mike
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 5:53:01 PM

> >> Why? With all the freeware to defeat any current copy protection
> >> system, it's not an issue worth mentioning.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >
> > I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
> > answers the original poster's question...

> What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy protection"?
>
> Mike

It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your excellent
powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 6:18:37 PM

Robert Morein wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> I suppose the only reason you'd mention it is that it directly
>>> answers the original poster's question...

>> What the OP said was "Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using
>> Windows Explorer? Why doesn't it play?" Where do you see "copy
>> protection"?
>>
>> Mike
>>
> It can be inferred from the question. May I suggest you use your
> excellent powers of explanation for the poster's benefit.

As a corporate producer myself, maybe I don't want to help someone break the
copyright laws?

Mike
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 9:14:27 PM

The reason is that the DVD is encoded in a special format. To play the
DVD, you need special software on top of Windows Explorer. To copy the
DVD, you need dedicated copy software.

Gary Hendricks
www.desktop-video-guide.com

"Carol and Allen Bredt" <abredt@Xsocal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<KkZ9d.3077$nl4.2848@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows Explorer?
> Why doesn't it play?
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:12:12 AM

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>
>>Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>

> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far larger than
> the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently allow - although
> the new double layer format will change that.
> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it. Just
> burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever Nero/Roxio,
> etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using RecordNow. I "prepare" the
> DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on
> RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.

Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:00:35 PM

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> Carol and Allen Bredt wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious. Why can't a movie on a DVD be copied using Windows
>>> Explorer? Why doesn't it play?
>>

>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>> If you're talking about a DVD you've burned yourself, you can do it.
>> Just burn it as a "data" disk, not the "make DVD" option or whatever
>> Nero/Roxio, etc. call it. I burn all my DVDs this way using
>> RecordNow. I "prepare" the DVD (that is, create the VIDEO_TS &
>> AUDIO_TS folders), drop those on RecordNow and burn as a "data" disk.
>
> Mike, are you aware that there is no data in the AUDIO TS folder? All
> you need to copy is the VIDEO TS folder.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Yes Gary, I am. The authoring apps that I've used create them though so
it's just another file that gets burned. In addition, I believe that having
the folder is a part of the DVD spec. I do stand to be corrected on the
latter.

Mike
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:21:26 PM

> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>

>>> If you're talking about commercial DVDs, they're generally far
>>> larger than the 4.7 GB maximum capacity that consumer DVDs currently
>>> allow - although the new double layer format will change that.
>>

>> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G. Where
>> did you get this info?
>

> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has far
> more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.

Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more than 4.7
Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything like that Mike.
DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:03:38 PM

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> I wasn't aware of that .. even the DVD spec lists them as 4.7G.
>>> Where did you get this info?
>>

>> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
>> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
>
> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.

Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?

Mike
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:52:51 AM

> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> If you're referring to commercial DVDs, a typical Hollywood disc has
>>> far more than data than the 4.7 GB a consumer DVD allows.
>>
>> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
>> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
>> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
>

> Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is dual
> layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter & the Chamber
> of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
>
> Mike

Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a 'Hollywood'
DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction between DVD5 and
DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your statement.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:31:56 AM

a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
>>> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>> Still I am not allowed to send DLT's to my replicator with any more
>>> than 4.7 Gigabytes on them. This is the first I have heard anything
>>> like that Mike. DVD-5 Single layer is only 4.7 GIG.
>>

>> Nappy, I'm not talking about DVD-5. The typical "Hollywood" DVD is
>> dual layer. How else would they get (in the case of Harry Potter &
>> the Chamber of Secrets) 7.87 GB. (8,451,317,760) on it?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike.. you implied a difference between a 'commercial' DVD and a
> 'Hollywood' DVD which doesn't exist, and didn't make the distinction
> between DVD5 and DVD9 or DVD10. Excuse me if I misunderstood your
> statement.

Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in the
average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs produced
that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but, as
I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
hear the word "commercial".
Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if
I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use at
this time.
Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

Mike
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:56:40 PM

> Sorry for the confusion. When I say Hollywood, I mean commercial because,
> as far as I'm concerned, the two words are interchangeable (at least in
> the
> average consumer's mind). I do realize that there are several DVDs
> produced
> that do not exceed the 4.7 GB capacity (training DVDs, for example) but,
> as
> I said, most folks think feature-length movies (aka Hollywood) when they
> hear the word "commercial".

Understood.. I always get a kick out of references to Hollywood.. living and
working in Los Angeles.. It is one of the ugliest places I know. Most of the
DVD hopuses I know still do a majority of DVD5 authoring. Especially for
packages without a lot of extras.

> Burners such as the Pioneer A08 now give the consumer a capacity of 8.5 GB
> using the DVD-9 (SS/DL) format. To the best of my knowledge (correct me
> if
> I'm wrong), there are no DVD-10 (9.4 GB - DS/DL) burners for consumer use
> at
> this time.
> Who knows what will happen when the dust settles on the other fronts
> promising up to 27 GB? Only time will tell.

I know.. for saome reason it will just barely be enough for what we are
trying to do with it. ;)

!