How to filter sunlight & blue sky?

I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to take product pictures indoors.
My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from changing the color balance
of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white drapes over the windows.

Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.

"some guy" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to take
>product pictures indoors.
> My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from
> changing the color balance
> of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white drapes
> over the windows.
>
> Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.

Why change the color balance.

Daylight white balance is easy to do.

If you use Flash lighting for the studio, you have daylight white balance
and do not have to worry about the sunlight or skylight changing the color
balance of the photograph.

The only thing you may want to do is put up some daylight darkening shades
over the windows so that you can control the shadows that may be cast.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"some guy" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to take
>product pictures indoors.
> My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from
> changing the color balance
> of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white drapes
> over the windows.
>
> Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.

How to build a light tent (Light Box).
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box

Great for no shadow and small objects.

Good equipment for a studio.
http://sell-it-on-the-net.com/online_store/complete_dps_strobe.htm

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> >I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to take
> >product pictures indoors.
> > My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from
> > changing the color balance
> > of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white drapes
> > over the windows.
> >
> > Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.
>
> Why change the color balance?

Because of the blue sky. Won't that change the tint of the picture once taken? I realize the eye
compensates but is digital like film cameras?

> Daylight white balance is easy to do.

Yes - I find it the best - I was only worried about either too much light or the blue sky.

> If you use Flash lighting for the studio, you have daylight white balance
> and do not have to worry about the sunlight or skylight changing the color
> balance of the photograph.

No flash lighting.

> The only thing you may want to do is put up some daylight darkening shades
> over the windows so that you can control the shadows that may be cast.

Agreed.

> >I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to take
> >product pictures indoors.
> > My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from
> > changing the color balance
> > of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white drapes
> > over the windows.
> > Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.
>
> How to build a light tent (Light Box).
> http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box

This is a great idea. You could use any lamps around the house. Also I was in Home Depot the other day
and they had 60 watt full spectrum type bulbs for less than a buck each.

> > >I have lots of sunlight and blue sky this time of year and I need to
take
> > >product pictures indoors.
> > > My question here is how can I filter the blue light from the sky from
> > > changing the color balance
> > > of the items I'm photographing? I thought of hanging sheer white
drapes
> > > over the windows.
> > >
> > > Also any recommendations for How-To websites would be great.
> >
> > Why change the color balance?
>
> Because of the blue sky. Won't that change the tint of the picture once
taken? I realize the eye
> compensates but is digital like film cameras?

Blue sky is around 6000-6500K which is well in the range for daylight color
balance.

Digital cameras love the blue sky.
I get very good pictures of the blue sky and clouds with my digital camera.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com