MPEG1 - how to encode at LESS than 24 fps ???

Many people believe MPEG1 is dead. But I make MPEG1 clips from my
AVI's for a reason - they are small in file size, and they play on
virtually every player in existence. So even people with slow, old
machines can view them. And I love the Main Concept encoder. I do
tinker with RM files using the Heliz converter, and also Windows Media
clips - but I prefer MPEG.

Actually, use MPEG2 clips for DVD creation, and MPEG1 clips for PC
desktop video and VCD's.

But the encoders insist on sticking with the "standard" and only
support a minimum frame rate of 24 fps. Necessary for VCD's but not
for desktop.

I recall, many years ago, there was an encoder (ULEAD I think) that
allowed any fps rate. And the players would play them !! I just
noticed last week that Main Concept allows non-standard MPEG1 display
sizes, such as large 720x480 clips - and they also play just fine.
Why it does not support non-standard frame rates is a mystery to me.

Anyone know a way to encode mpeg1 files at a frame rate lower than 24
fps ??
1 answer Last reply
More about mpeg1 encode

    TMPEGEnc.

    "Keith" <ken.roberts@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Many people believe MPEG1 is dead. But I make MPEG1 clips from my
    > AVI's for a reason - they are small in file size, and they play on
    > virtually every player in existence. So even people with slow, old
    > machines can view them. And I love the Main Concept encoder. I do
    > tinker with RM files using the Heliz converter, and also Windows Media
    > clips - but I prefer MPEG.
    >
    > Actually, use MPEG2 clips for DVD creation, and MPEG1 clips for PC
    > desktop video and VCD's.
    >
    > But the encoders insist on sticking with the "standard" and only
    > support a minimum frame rate of 24 fps. Necessary for VCD's but not
    > for desktop.
    >
    > I recall, many years ago, there was an encoder (ULEAD I think) that
    > allowed any fps rate. And the players would play them !! I just
    > noticed last week that Main Concept allows non-standard MPEG1 display
    > sizes, such as large 720x480 clips - and they also play just fine.
    > Why it does not support non-standard frame rates is a mystery to me.
    >
    > Anyone know a way to encode mpeg1 files at a frame rate lower than 24
    > fps ??

Tuner Cards Desktops Graphics