MPEG1 - how to encode at LESS than 24 fps ???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 10, 2004 10:45:25 AM

Many people believe MPEG1 is dead. But I make MPEG1 clips from my
AVI's for a reason - they are small in file size, and they play on
virtually every player in existence. So even people with slow, old
machines can view them. And I love the Main Concept encoder. I do
tinker with RM files using the Heliz converter, and also Windows Media
clips - but I prefer MPEG.

Actually, use MPEG2 clips for DVD creation, and MPEG1 clips for PC
desktop video and VCD's.

But the encoders insist on sticking with the "standard" and only
support a minimum frame rate of 24 fps. Necessary for VCD's but not
for desktop.

I recall, many years ago, there was an encoder (ULEAD I think) that
allowed any fps rate. And the players would play them !! I just
noticed last week that Main Concept allows non-standard MPEG1 display
sizes, such as large 720x480 clips - and they also play just fine.
Why it does not support non-standard frame rates is a mystery to me.

Anyone know a way to encode mpeg1 files at a frame rate lower than 24
fps ??

More about : mpeg1 encode fps

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:39:58 AM