Here is a challenge for someone really smart: I Cannot con..

I have been trying for the better part of a month to figure out why I
cannot connect from work to my home PC.

when I try to access the PC at home from work I get the following
ambiguous error:
"The most likely causes for this error are:
1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
(which is not true)
2)The macimum number of connections was exceeded at the remote
computer (other than being connected to the internet via Verizon DSL
with westell 2200 modem , nothing else is connected)
3)A Network error occurred while establishing the connection (this is
more like a good reason as why it fails, but could be the problem and
resolution?)

Please keep in minds the following things, I have remote access
configured at home( i.e. those two boxes are checked off in the Remote
tab under My Computer properties, and I am able to remotely access
other PCs from home out.

I am running a Westell 220 DSL modem. I have the right IP address is
68.239.108.xxx. The funny thing is when I check my ports,
specifically port 3389, I get a timed out error. It seems port 3389
is closed. I've tried to open it using Network Places properties
still with the same results. Also, all firewalls are turned off
including the ICF(Internet Connection Firewall)

Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about here challenge smart

    Some DSL modems also are NAT devices. Its possible TCP Port 3389 on your DSL modem is being blocked.
    Can you contact your ISP to find out if that is the case or the modems users guide?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "AF" <powerzd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9628846.0406110730.127432af@posting.google.com...
    >I have been trying for the better part of a month to figure out why I
    > cannot connect from work to my home PC.
    >

    > when I try to access the PC at home from work I get the following
    > ambiguous error:
    > "The most likely causes for this error are:
    > 1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
    > (which is not true)
    > 2)The macimum number of connections was exceeded at the remote
    > computer (other than being connected to the internet via Verizon DSL
    > with westell 2200 modem , nothing else is connected)
    > 3)A Network error occurred while establishing the connection (this is
    > more like a good reason as why it fails, but could be the problem and
    > resolution?)
    >

    > Please keep in minds the following things, I have remote access
    > configured at home( i.e. those two boxes are checked off in the Remote
    > tab under My Computer properties, and I am able to remotely access
    > other PCs from home out.
    >

    > I am running a Westell 220 DSL modem. I have the right IP address is
    > 68.239.108.xxx. The funny thing is when I check my ports,
    > specifically port 3389, I get a timed out error. It seems port 3389
    > is closed. I've tried to open it using Network Places properties
    > still with the same results. Also, all firewalls are turned off
    > including the ICF(Internet Connection Firewall)
    >
    > Any ideas?

    ---

    I like Al's thought--check whether you can connect via browser to the
    2200--I am not sure, but some models of that critter may have NAT
    functionality, and thus need to have port 3389, TCO opened in them.

    If that's all wet, I'd like you, ideally, to test from a third location--a
    friends house. Somewhere not on the work network, and without an outbound
    firewall involved, where you can see if you can connect.

    At work--any chance they have a firewall which controls outbound activity?
    Even a small office running Microsoft's SBS server might have this. What do
    you know about how they connect to the Internet?

    "AF" <powerzd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been trying for the better part of a month to figure out why I
    > cannot connect from work to my home PC.
    >

    > when I try to access the PC at home from work I get the following
    > ambiguous error:
    > "The most likely causes for this error are:
    > 1)Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer
    > (which is not true)
    > 2)The macimum number of connections was exceeded at the remote
    > computer (other than being connected to the internet via Verizon DSL
    > with westell 2200 modem , nothing else is connected)
    > 3)A Network error occurred while establishing the connection (this is
    > more like a good reason as why it fails, but could be the problem and
    > resolution?)
    >

    > Please keep in minds the following things, I have remote access
    > configured at home( i.e. those two boxes are checked off in the Remote
    > tab under My Computer properties, and I am able to remotely access
    > other PCs from home out.
    >

    > I am running a Westell 220 DSL modem. I have the right IP address is
    > 68.239.108.xxx. The funny thing is when I check my ports,
    > specifically port 3389, I get a timed out error. It seems port 3389
    > is closed. I've tried to open it using Network Places properties
    > still with the same results. Also, all firewalls are turned off
    > including the ICF(Internet Connection Firewall)
    >
    > Any ideas?

Windows XP