TMPgenc no picture after conversion *.avi => mpg

I'm missing something really basic here I think. I've created an
*.avi file from Premiere Pro after my amatuer editing job by export.

I downloaded DVD-lab on advice from this forum, only to find it does
not support *.avi. OK, downloaded the often mentioned TMPgenc and am
now atempting to convert to mpg. I followed along accepting defaults
the first time around. The resulting *.mpg appears blank but the
sound is there.

Next attempt I loaded a template DVD(NTSC).mcf and ran it thru again.

Again, when attempting to play this in anything (dvd-lab for instance)
its blank but has sound. Whats the trick here?

erratic <erratic@reply-to.address> writes:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:21:53 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What does raising the priority of the var actually do. Does it do
>>something to the final output or just while converting?
>
> If the DirectShow Reader has the highest priority TMPGEnc will use a
> DirectShow decoder for decompressing your source file (if such a decoder
> is present on your system of course) otherwise it will use a VfW codec.

Oh,,, er I don't know enough lingo to know what that means, but what
was being output before I raised the priority was not usable in
dvd-lab. With the priority raised, a file with the same name and I
guess contents is usable by dvd-lab. That is, with priority down
there was no video. With priority up there is video.

What would be the purpose of a video (mpg) file with no video when
authoring?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:57:19 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>I'm missing something really basic here I think. I've created an
>*.avi file from Premiere Pro after my amatuer editing job by export.
>
>I downloaded DVD-lab on advice from this forum, only to find it does
>not support *.avi. OK, downloaded the often mentioned TMPgenc and am
>now atempting to convert to mpg. I followed along accepting defaults
>the first time around. The resulting *.mpg appears blank but the
>sound is there.

Assuming the .avi is not already blank (ie, plays allright in Media
Player), you may have to make some changes in Tmpgenc: "Option |
Environmental setting | VFAPI plugin", and bring the DirectShow
multimedia reader to a higher level by right clicking on it.

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:57:19 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm missing something really basic here I think. I've created an
>>*.avi file from Premiere Pro after my amatuer editing job by export.
>>
>>I downloaded DVD-lab on advice from this forum, only to find it does
>>not support *.avi. OK, downloaded the often mentioned TMPgenc and am
>>now atempting to convert to mpg. I followed along accepting defaults
>>the first time around. The resulting *.mpg appears blank but the
>>sound is there.
>
> Assuming the .avi is not already blank (ie, plays allright in Media
> Player), you may have to make some changes in Tmpgenc: "Option |
> Environmental setting | VFAPI plugin", and bring the DirectShow
> multimedia reader to a higher level by right clicking on it.

No its not blank and plays in windows media player or winamp. I'm
trying your suggestion now but its quite time consuming and this is on
an athlon64 +3400 with 1.5 Ghz ram.

Anyway thought I'd ask something else while the rendering takes place.

Something else catches my attention, TMPgenc offers to create the
output file if it doesn't exist. That puzzled me. Under what
circumstances would the OUTput file alread exist?

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> writes:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:57:19 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm missing something really basic here I think. I've created an
>>*.avi file from Premiere Pro after my amatuer editing job by export.
>>
>>I downloaded DVD-lab on advice from this forum, only to find it does
>>not support *.avi. OK, downloaded the often mentioned TMPgenc and am
>>now atempting to convert to mpg. I followed along accepting defaults
>>the first time around. The resulting *.mpg appears blank but the
>>sound is there.
>
> Assuming the .avi is not already blank (ie, plays allright in Media
> Player), you may have to make some changes in Tmpgenc: "Option |
> Environmental setting | VFAPI plugin", and bring the DirectShow
> multimedia reader to a higher level by right clicking on it.

Well I had one false start and somehow ended up with that variable
still low in priority. Running again now, this time with it at the
top of the list. Alread I see something I hadn't seen previously.
That is TMPGEnc is displaying the *.avi as it converts. That didn't
happen befor and I didn't now it was supposed to. I'm hoping this
means I'll get a usable mpg this time.

What does raising the priority of the var actually do. Does it do
something to the final output or just while converting?

rs

For example if you wanted to overwrite an existing file of the same name.
(Perhaps you were not satisfed with the first encode...)

You might be outputting elemental streams, where the video and the audio are
broken into two files. Look at the lower right in the "Steam Type" window.
DVD-Lab will accept the seperate audio and video elemental streams and the
combine them. Or, you can create "System" file with the Audio and Video
already combined in the MPG file.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:57:59 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Oh,,, er I don't know enough lingo to know what that means

Windows uses two types of codecs/decompressors: VfW (Video for Windows)
and DirectShow. Windows Media Player and most other players will use the
DirectShow interface if they find a suitable decompressor. If there's no
DirectShow decompressor they'll use the VfW interface. TMPGEnc uses the
VfW interface by default (until you raise the priority of the DirectShow
Reader).

Apparently on your system the VfW interface has trouble decompressing
your source avi file, but your DirectShow decompressor works fine.