Using Terminal Services Client (TSC) With Pocket PC 2003

Hi all,

I have a ppc 2003 pro device.

I wish to remote access my xp pro machine via the tsc
client. I have installed tsc onto my pda and enabled
remote access on the pc.

Connected via USB ACTIVESYNC and launched the program
from my pda and got remote access yipee!

But that isnt the problem.

What good is it using usb to remote access my pc while
sitting next to it? Nothing.

I wish to use bluetooth, so i linked up my pc with
bluetooth and have an activesync connection established
with internet pass-through. That all works.

I launch the program for tsc on my pda and get to the
login screen for xp pro. Type my username and password
and the screen goes black on the pda (it should
temporarily) and then just hangs.

On the other hand my xp pro desktop logs out as it should
and remains like that.

Personally i think xp is shutting of the bluetooth remote
connection via the tcp/ip.

Is there anyway to stop xp from disabling bluetooth while
i want to remote access? Its a nusense. I really dont
want to use 3rd party software...

a) it costs money
b) its actually difficult to use that MS's TSC!

Please help!
6 answers Last reply
More about using terminal services client pocket 2003

    I can't help with the BT aspects of this issue other than to say look at the Geekzone BT Guides for
    help establishing a network connection via BT. Personally I use TSC via an 802.11b link into my home
    LAN for access/control of an XP Pro desktop. This is with an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC...

    You should also post specific PocketPC wireless questions to the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    news group...

    I presume your trying to use a BT connection for TSC while the PocketPC is *NOT* in the USB
    cradle...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Jasmeet Bhamra" <jazzy_b88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a ppc 2003 pro device.
    >
    > I wish to remote access my xp pro machine via the tsc
    > client. I have installed tsc onto my pda and enabled
    > remote access on the pc.
    >
    > Connected via USB ACTIVESYNC and launched the program
    > from my pda and got remote access yipee!
    >
    > But that isnt the problem.
    >
    > What good is it using usb to remote access my pc while
    > sitting next to it? Nothing.
    >
    > I wish to use bluetooth, so i linked up my pc with
    > bluetooth and have an activesync connection established
    > with internet pass-through. That all works.
    >
    > I launch the program for tsc on my pda and get to the
    > login screen for xp pro. Type my username and password
    > and the screen goes black on the pda (it should
    > temporarily) and then just hangs.
    >
    > On the other hand my xp pro desktop logs out as it should
    > and remains like that.
    >
    > Personally i think xp is shutting of the bluetooth remote
    > connection via the tcp/ip.
    >
    > Is there anyway to stop xp from disabling bluetooth while
    > i want to remote access? Its a nusense. I really dont
    > want to use 3rd party software...
    >
    > a) it costs money
    > b) its actually difficult to use that MS's TSC!
    >
    > Please help!

    ---

    Yes i'm trying to use it outside of the usb cradle. Sorry
    if i did post in the wrong area, im very new to posting
    in MS forums so i do appologise...perhaps posting to the
    PPC wireless forums will yield results?

    Have you ever had any problems with wifi getting
    disconnected when xp logged out?

    group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Jasmeet Bhamra" <jazzy_b88@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have a ppc 2003 pro device.
    >>
    >> I wish to remote access my xp pro machine via the tsc
    >> client. I have installed tsc onto my pda and enabled
    >> remote access on the pc.
    >>
    >> Connected via USB ACTIVESYNC and launched the program
    >> from my pda and got remote access yipee!
    >>
    >> But that isnt the problem.
    >>
    >> What good is it using usb to remote access my pc while
    >> sitting next to it? Nothing.
    >>
    >> I wish to use bluetooth, so i linked up my pc with
    >> bluetooth and have an activesync connection established
    >> with internet pass-through. That all works.
    >>
    >> I launch the program for tsc on my pda and get to the
    >> login screen for xp pro. Type my username and password
    >> and the screen goes black on the pda (it should
    >> temporarily) and then just hangs.
    >>
    >> On the other hand my xp pro desktop logs out as it
    should
    >> and remains like that.
    >>
    >> Personally i think xp is shutting of the bluetooth
    remote
    >> connection via the tcp/ip.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to stop xp from disabling bluetooth
    while
    >> i want to remote access? Its a nusense. I really dont
    >> want to use 3rd party software...
    >>
    >> a) it costs money
    >> b) its actually difficult to use that MS's TSC!
    >>
    >> Please help!
    >

    >---
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    6/10/2004

    >.

    Another thought on this... Make sure the XP Pro desktop is set to...

    1. Disable the rendering of desktop wallpaper to the client. It may be a timing issue with the BT
    link, which is slower than an 802.11 link, and the transfer of a complex desktop wallpaper. You can
    do that on the XP Pro host via Group Policy...On the host, run 'gpedit.msc' from the command line
    and look at "Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal
    Services" for the policy to "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper"....

    2. Make sure the XP Pro host client encryption level is set to "default" or "Client compatible". The
    PocketPC TSC can *NOT* do 128-bit encryption...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/pree_rem_uvnl.asp

    I don't think item 2 has any bearing on your problem, but it may be worth checking into none the
    less...

    --

    >I can't help with the BT aspects of this issue other than to say look at the Geekzone BT Guides for
    >help establishing a network connection via BT. Personally I use TSC via an 802.11b link into my
    >home LAN for access/control of an XP Pro desktop. This is with an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC...
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
    >
    > You should also post specific PocketPC wireless questions to the
    > microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless news group...
    >
    > I presume your trying to use a BT connection for TSC while the PocketPC is *NOT* in the USB
    > cradle...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Jasmeet Bhamra" <jazzy_b88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have a ppc 2003 pro device.
    >>
    >> I wish to remote access my xp pro machine via the tsc
    >> client. I have installed tsc onto my pda and enabled
    >> remote access on the pc.
    >>
    >> Connected via USB ACTIVESYNC and launched the program
    >> from my pda and got remote access yipee!
    >>
    >> But that isnt the problem.
    >>
    >> What good is it using usb to remote access my pc while
    >> sitting next to it? Nothing.
    >>
    >> I wish to use bluetooth, so i linked up my pc with
    >> bluetooth and have an activesync connection established
    >> with internet pass-through. That all works.
    >>
    >> I launch the program for tsc on my pda and get to the
    >> login screen for xp pro. Type my username and password
    >> and the screen goes black on the pda (it should
    >> temporarily) and then just hangs.
    >>
    >> On the other hand my xp pro desktop logs out as it should
    >> and remains like that.
    >>
    >> Personally i think xp is shutting of the bluetooth remote
    >> connection via the tcp/ip.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to stop xp from disabling bluetooth while
    >> i want to remote access? Its a nusense. I really dont
    >> want to use 3rd party software...
    >>
    >> a) it costs money
    >> b) its actually difficult to use that MS's TSC!
    >>
    >> Please help!
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Al,

    Once again im running into problems. I ran gpedit.msc and
    enabled everything you said to enable. I also enabled
    access to com ports as i know bluetooth activesync runs
    on a virtual com port. However that doesn't help.

    Please if you would...give me a link to a pocket pc
    discussion forum in the microsoft site if you think id
    receive better help from there?

    Its really bugging me now.

    TSC can get disconnected if another user on the XP Pro boxes logs on while the TSC session from your
    PocketPC is connected. That is by design...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

    The MS PocketPC wireless news group is...

    microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless

    If your local ISP news server does not have the group then you can point your news reader to the MS
    news server at msnews.microsoft.com or use the web based news groups...

    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless&cat=en-us-mobiledevices&lang=en&cr=US

    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?guid=1080912A-26C5-7040-AFDD-2224A4FEB3EA

    --

    > Yes i'm trying to use it outside of the usb cradle. Sorry
    > if i did post in the wrong area, im very new to posting
    > in MS forums so i do appologise...perhaps posting to the
    > PPC wireless forums will yield results?
    >
    > Have you ever had any problems with wifi getting
    > disconnected when xp logged out?

    ---

    Al,

    Thanks for the link i will be posting there and checking
    the other links shortly.

    6/12/2004

    >.

Remote Access Windows XP