Using email remotely

Tags:
  • Email
  • Windows XP
June 12, 2004 8:22:21 PM

Is there a way to synchronise the inbox, sent items, outbox and other mail
related folders on outlook between two computers? I have a client who uses
email for a large amount of her work and wishes to be able to use her laptop
at home as well as her desktop at work but not have to forward emails that
she sends so that she can access them from the computer she did not send
them from. Sorry that is a bit wordy. At the moment she uses the 'leave
copies of my messages on the server' bit of the account set up so that she
can look at her inbox from either but this obviously leaves copies of
messages that she may not need and so the server will get quite full. There
must be a tidier way of doing this. The home laptop is running win 2k and
the work laptop win xp. I think both are pro but not entirely sure.
Yours
Mark G

---

More about : email remotely

Anonymous
June 12, 2004 9:18:23 PM

Nothing native will do this, unless she uses Exchange server. There are
plenty of companies that offer hosted Exchange accounts - www.intermedia.net
is a fairly well respected one as far as I know. Also offer OWA for quick
access from other computers without Outlook.

Other options, some clumsy, some not:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm

Best to post Outlook questions to m.p.outlook, for future reference - that's
where the Outlook gurus hang out.

Mark Gulliford wrote:
> Is there a way to synchronise the inbox, sent items, outbox and other
> mail related folders on outlook between two computers? I have a
> client who uses email for a large amount of her work and wishes to be
> able to use her laptop at home as well as her desktop at work but not
> have to forward emails that she sends so that she can access them
> from the computer she did not send them from. Sorry that is a bit
> wordy. At the moment she uses the 'leave copies of my messages on
> the server' bit of the account set up so that she can look at her
> inbox from either but this obviously leaves copies of messages that
> she may not need and so the server will get quite full. There must
> be a tidier way of doing this. The home laptop is running win 2k and
> the work laptop win xp. I think both are pro but not entirely
> sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Yours
> Mark G
>

> ---
June 15, 2004 12:51:01 PM

If you have a third party email service [POP3] then you can set Outlook or Outlook Express up such that all messages are left on the server. That way, the laptop can 'download' the mail and when the desktop connects, the messages will be available to download also. I suugest that one also sets the service to delete the incoming mail after a short period [say 5-7 days] in order to reduce the build up in the mailbox.

To do this in Outlook Express: click on Tools, select accounts, if more than one account: choose the appropriate account name, click on Properties, click on the Advanced Tab: in the section labelled Delivery, make sure the option 'Leave a Copy of messages on server' is ticked. You can also set the time lapse to delete any messages and also synchronise any deleted messages.

In order to synchronise 'sent' items, copy all email to oneself: any messages can then manually be moved into the sent box of the other computer and duplicates can be deleted.

It's a little messy, but maybe cheaper than converting to a Lotus Notes Server.

Using this method, one can access ones mail from their ISP on two computers [or more] at any time aqnd ensure that the other computer will also receive the same mail.

Yes it may be messy: but it works.