DVD Rip N' Burn = Junk w/Spyware!

Hey kids, just wanted to relay a tidbit to save everyone a little
time... I recently had the need to convert an AVI file so I could
burn it to DVD and send to the folks...

Anyway, Searching with google with "DVD RIP BURN" the first thing that
comes up appears to be a decent solution:
"DVD Rip N` Burn - dvdripnburn.comPowerful and FREE DVD Ripper and
Burner with multi-language support. www.dvdripnburn.com/ - 3k - Cached
- Similar pages"

So, I download this slug, and install it.
1. It will not work with my file for whatever reason.
2. IE started freaking out and the HDD was cooking for no reason.
3. I emailed their tech support 2 weeks ago and still have no
response.
4. I add/removed the program and used spybot to remove the "extras"
5. Rebooted machine just to be sure, no spyware anywhere.
6. Reinstalled their software, Same thing not working & NEW Spyware
now.

So, their software was intalling SpyWare on my computer, their
software did not work (I secretly wonder if its just a spyware
installation tool gui, every button you click installs something
different no actual Rip software even there?), and they pretty much do
not have a support infrastructure.

Bottom Line: Do not bother with this junk, don't wase your time or
CPU Cycles.

rs

The first clue is "Powerfull and Free". And your mistake of course was
volunteering to serve as a reviewing guinea pig intead of doing some web
searching to see what others had to say about the thing.

There are some good rippers that are free. DVDShrink comes to mind. If its
encoding AVI's that you want, there are many choices. TMpgenc is well
regarded.

"Average User" <avguser@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey kids, just wanted to relay a tidbit to save everyone a little
> time... I recently had the need to convert an AVI file so I could
> burn it to DVD and send to the folks...
>
> Anyway, Searching with google with "DVD RIP BURN" the first thing that
> comes up appears to be a decent solution:
> "DVD Rip N` Burn - dvdripnburn.comPowerful and FREE DVD Ripper and
> Burner with multi-language support. www.dvdripnburn.com/ - 3k - Cached
> - Similar pages"
>
> So, I download this slug, and install it.
> 1. It will not work with my file for whatever reason.
> 2. IE started freaking out and the HDD was cooking for no reason.
> 3. I emailed their tech support 2 weeks ago and still have no
> response.
> 4. I add/removed the program and used spybot to remove the "extras"
> 5. Rebooted machine just to be sure, no spyware anywhere.
> 6. Reinstalled their software, Same thing not working & NEW Spyware
> now.
>

> So, their software was intalling SpyWare on my computer, their
> software did not work (I secretly wonder if its just a spyware
> installation tool gui, every button you click installs something
> different no actual Rip software even there?), and they pretty much do
> not have a support infrastructure.
>
> Bottom Line: Do not bother with this junk, don't wase your time or
> CPU Cycles.

Thank You for you kind hyperbole RS...

Clearly, My intent was to keep the weary from getting into "BS land"
by using this companies products. I took the easy route on short
notice and learned something. Share what you know, learn what you
dont, Dig It...

While you are correct in your statement, only I was trying to be
helpful to the Stupid Users population, Doing a search on this product
yeilds about nothing without my original posting...

Consider this fair notice to the Beautiful People, and Enjoy as best
you are capable...

Cheerios,
AvgUser